Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 2 man Eureka Timberline tent from the late 70's that I need to clean. It is nylon with a water proof coating and the coating is starting to look like it has not aged well. I don't want to thrown it in the washing machine just to remove the water proofing. Is there a way to replace the waterproofing that is on it now if it does start coming off?

Just found an answer for cleaning but not for recoating

Cleaning

Clean the tent by setting it up and wiping it down with a mild soap (liquid hand soap) and lukewarm water solution. Rinse thoroughly and dry completely. Never use detergent, washing machines or dryers because they can damage the tent's protective coating and seams. After cleaning, be sure the tent is completely dry, especially the heavier, double-stitched areas such as the seams, before storing or mold and mildew are likely to grow.

Clean the tent poles with a soft, dry cloth. This is especially necessary after oceanside camping trips to remove salt spray so the poles don't corrode or stay gritty.

Clean the zippers with a quick dip in water and then dry them off. This is especially important if you've been camping in a location with sand/dirt. If you don't clean the zippers, the sliders will wear out and eventually the teeth will become inoperable.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Look into a water soluble treatment such as nikwax. After the tent is clean, wet is down and spray in the nikwax. Let it dry thoroughly and repeat. If you tent is that old, you may want to remove as much of the coating as possible and start fresh.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts