Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mosin nagant. I think I need to clean the stock. I think it may have been covered in cosmoline, but I am not sure. It is definitely not caked on there or anything. It doesn't even feel greasy. How do I clean it? I'm going to clean the metal parts with mineral spirits, so I think I have that covered.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have heard of baking the cosmoline out of the wood. If I were you spend a little time searching this forum and elsewhere on the web. This might be what you're looking for, if you need to get the cosmoline out. Check here

If you don't think you have a cosmoline problem with the stock, just clean it with any wood polish/cleaner.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of baking the cosmoline out of the wood. If I were you spend a little time searching this forum and elsewhere on the web. This might be what you're looking for, if you need to get the cosmoline out. Check here

If you don't think you have a cosmoline problem with the stock, just clean it with any wood polish/cleaner.
I think there might be a little bit of some kind of treatment on the stock, but I'm really not sure. At least in the slots for the strap there is some gunk in there. But mostly it feel clean. It smells oily in some spots, but that's about the extent of the treatment. I suppose it probably is not cosmoline, or else I would know it.

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Wrap it in paper towels, Throw it in a black plastic trash bag and on the roof on a hot sunny day. Deslime it afterwards and clean it up with orange oil.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I need a complete maintenance guide for a complete know-nothing. All the guides I can find seem to assume some base level of knowledge of guns or the materials used to clean/maintain them. Is there any resource available that can educate me. I basically know nothing. How to maintain, how to clean, how to inspect, how often to do those things. I need a guide for a complete beginner that tells how to do EVERYTHING, in explicit detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts