Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m a voracious reader, but I didn’t come back to camping and woodcraft until just a couple years ago. I’ve read a lot of recent books on wilderness survival, woodcraft, and the like, but I’d be curious to see what I’ve missed in the literary tradition of outdoor/woodcraft literature. I’m talking about older books in the vein of Nessmuk and Two Little Savages. What else that’s considered classic outdoor/woodcraft literature should I be reading? I’ve already read my old Boy Scout Manual, Walden—what else should I absolutely not miss?

Btw, I picked up a childhood favorite again the other day—My Side of the Mountain. It has not aged well. :(

These can be more reflective books on the outdoors and nature, good woodcraft books, or a mix thereof. Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I don't know if you referenced the book by Horace Kephart in your post by saying you "came back to camping and woodcraft," or whether you mean you just got back into the activity of camping and woodcraft.

If you're talking about getting back into the ACTIVITY, then you might be delighted to know that there is actually an old book called "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart, and it's available for download here:

https://ia700502.us.archive.org/19/items/bookofcampingwoo00keph/bookofcampingwoo00keph.pdf

If you're talking about already having read the BOOK "Camping and Woodcraft," then I probably sound a little redundant right about now.... lol. :thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, no, I meant the activity! Thanks very much for the recommendation on the book! Obviously, it sounds like my sort of thing. :D:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
In reference to "My Side of the Mountain" i believe there were two other accompanying books written later.

"On the Far side of the mountain"

and

"Frightful's Mountian"

I remember hearing someone tell me about them as a kid. I could be wrong but that's how i remember it. 40 years later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In reference to "My Side of the Mountain" i believe there were two other accompanying books written later.

"On the Far side of the mountain"

and

"Frightful's Mountian"

I remember hearing someone tell me about them as a kid. I could be wrong but that's how i remember it. 40 years later.
I believe you’re right. I started to read the sequel, but it just didn’t have the magic of the original. I also thought the first one ending on a pretty flat note—ruined what had been a fun read up to that point.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I believe you’re right. I started to read the sequel, but it just didn’t have the magic of the original. I also thought the first one ending on a pretty flat note—ruined what had been a fun read up to that point.
That's is exactly what i though some 42 years ago! I was that kid, but in the Midwest cornfields trapping, hunting, camping for days at a time alone in my "woods".

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The Final Frontersman,

isbn # 074345314X

Real story of a guy making it in the outbacks of Alaska, this dude walked the walk, failed a few times, nearly died several times but always went back till he got it figured out and raised a family. Its a good read. I recommend it, gives tips you only get from a honest woodsmen, not a camper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions thus far in this thread. My reading list is getting quite long!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, 1719. An almost three century old take on man vs. circumstance in the wild. Marooned on an island.

Endurance: Shackelton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing, 1959
South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition by Sir Ernest H. Shackelton, originally published 1919.

Great reading when you get to feeling sorry for yourself. Someone's always got bigger outdoor problems and longer odds of survival. Not many have ever experienced and survived what these guys went through. Books about never quitting. Real life epic accounts of survival in the ice floes and polar seas off Antarctica.

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, 1987. Fictional tale of a 13 year old boy surviving for 54 days in the Canadian outback after a light plane crash into a remote lake. A lone survivor with hatchet, determination, and little else.

Reactions: twyggy

·
Livin' the Dream!
119 Posts
Two of my favourites.

Shifts and Expedients of Camp Life (Travel & Exploration) by W.B. Lord - Royal Artillery, & T. Baines - F.R.G.S.

734 pages of Victorian era tips for the gentleman explorer. From the Royal Geographical Society.

Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making by William Hamilton Gibson

Old timey woods know-how.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a big collection of such books. Grab them online or at Half Price Bookstore. I prefer the vintage books, pre-GPS times. early 1900's is the best. You cannot go wrong with old school knowledge, Angier, Nessmuk, Kephart...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts