Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thread is for those members who have held onto the old AMT handguns,feel free to post what you have or comment on what was an intresting pistol line from 22mag all the way to 45win mag.....:cool:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The .22 was a POS; lousy accuracy, reliability and functioning.

The 44's will always be cool but in reality, they weren't much better, although they did have great accuaracy. Way ahead of their time, though. Eastwood would have had a Desert Eagle if it was around by then.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Back in the 70s when I was just a young sprout, I owned one of the original Automag pistols in .44 Automag. I handloaded and it was an easy gun to tune a load for. Ballistics weren't that impressive and neither was reliability, but it sure shot well. I sold it some years back.

I have an AMT .380 Backup single action from when AMT still owned the company. Nice little gun and surprisingly accurate if you take your time with the crappy sights.

I also have an Automag III in .30 Carbine. That's one of my favorite cartridges to handload for, so it's nice to have a handgun that shoots the same ammo as my M1 Carbines do.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
i wonder if the high standerd quality is any better?
anyone care to speculate? texas pete?
I haven't had a chance to shoot the High Standard versions, but I've handled a few at the gun shows. It wouldn't take much to beat Galena Industries quality. When AMT actually owned the company quality could be very good, but it was hit or miss.

High Standard is capable of making a very good gun. From what I could tell in handling the guns, they seemed to be smoother functioning and better fit than previous models. I handled a couple of the Backups and an Automag II. Now I never handled any of the double action Backups when AMT owned the company, if they were even making them. I don't remember seeing the double actions until Galena took over. But the High Standards had smoother triggers.

I speculate that the quality would be better than Galena. Probably on par with a good gun from AMT and perhaps better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.