Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for everyone i don't know if this is the right section but here goes. I have been looking at some of the ruins that have been discovered over the past century and got to thinking. I wonder how many times we humans have become civilized only to **** it all away. does anyone else have any opinions on this? If this is the wrong section would a mod please move it if possible.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
History shows us this has happened many times and with many perspectives.

"Kingdoms come and Kingdoms go, just don't burn the paintings in the Louvre."

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
All of history's great civilizations have come to an end. That's why we refer to them in the past tense. It would be very foolish of us to think current civilizations are any different. The only questions I see are when, and what effect will the worlds new "global village" stance have on the event in question.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Nothing lasts forever. Entropy is a fact of life. You begin to die from day one. Deal with it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was watching a show on Discovery/NatGeo/Science Channel (one of those) yesterday that was about the history of bathrooms and the technology... it talked about how the romans empire had setup toilets (with running water) and bath houses, etc. then after the fall, there were no toilets or usefull baths around for hundreds of years... that technology just vanished...

Makes you wonder what could be lost in a major event.

·
Banned
2,110 Posts
Much of what we know will be lost if a major shift happens to societies at large. People get so enmeshed in trying to survive from day to day the trades, technology and much more, more or less gets set aside because it isn't that important. Surviving is the most critical criteria. Trying to stay safe and getting enough to eat takes precedent over all else.

When Rome fell it lost much of its technologies, and the trades themself. Most trades were learned from a master technician or tradesman and through an apprenticship which lasted for years. Most of the Masters themselves underwent apprentiships such as Leonardo DaVinci and others during their youth. After Rome fell eventually the tradesmen died and didn't pass on to others what it took a lifetime to learn. Two or three generations later most of the trades were lost. Much of the technology was lost as well because those who knew how things worked died to.

Medicine, navigation, mathmatics, science, hydraulics, irrigation, farming technology, carpentry, stone masonry, ship building, and many more disciplines were lost. We don't know for sure what all was lost but it was substantial. The world fell into a period called the Dark Ages and that timeframe lasted more than a thousand years. Slowly beginning in a serious way toward recovery starting about 1200 AD. Men began again to learn and it took the next five hundred years to catch up to where they once were. However, many arts and knowlege were lost forever when civilization was destroyed in the known world. Today we guess as to how the ancients did things. Such as building the pyramids. How did they lift stone blocks that weighed many tons into place without internal combustion or steam powered engines.

They had running water in their homes, in the ancient Mycenaes, Rome, Egypt, and the Mayans were able to channel entire rivers under their cities so as to have ready access to fresh water and sewage disposal. They understood the concepts of irrigation and bridge building. It was all lost.

Ninety eight percent of all the scientists that have ever lived in recorded history on earth are walking around right now. That in itself should tell you something. The bubble is about to burst again and this time it may thrust us all into another Dark Ages. It doesn't have to be a nuclear war, it can be economical as well as droughts and no food or water for a long period of time. One entire growing season on the earth not fullfilled will take people into a savagery unknow to most of us with only a few exceptions. People in Borneo and the Amazon might not feel the effects as much.

Caseyboy

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Doesn't exist
Does for me. Without it I would no longer be among the living. I thank God everyday of my life for my love, my precious.

I love my daughter unconditionally. There is nothing I would not do for her. I would never leave her, nor allow any harm to her if I can help it. She is my reason for living.

That will last forever.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
I was watching a show on Discovery/NatGeo/Science Channel (one of those) yesterday that was about the history of bathrooms and the technology... it talked about how the romans empire had setup toilets (with running water) and bath houses, etc. then after the fall, there were no toilets or usefull baths around for hundreds of years... that technology just vanished...

Makes you wonder what could be lost in a major event.
Crete had running water and toilets as the Minoans flourished 5,000 years ago. Things come and go, we just made it a bit further this time, although not much. Had the Romans not fallen, I think they'd have been where we are now by 1000AD. The Western Romans, that's is.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Right now we live off of cheap oil...but as everyone knows...thats coming to an end. Only expensive oil left.

Everything is made from it...gas, heat, plastic (every product out there), paint, fertilizers, etc, etc, etc. If we wait till the last second to change over to renewable alternatives we'll be screwed. If its gradual the pain won't be that bad.

Evolve or die!

·
Registered
450 Posts
CaseyBoy: You have said:
"Ninety eight percent of all the scientists that have ever lived in recorded history on earth are walking around right now. That in itself should tell you something."

It tells me something. It tells me that anyone with a spare $25,000 can get a degree and be a scientist. Haven't you ever wondered why with all our scientists and researchers and labs that we not only can't cure cancer, they can't cure a cold or the flu.

As for how great Rome was, we could have a lot of wonderous things also if all non-citizens were put in work gangs to work 12 hours a day for the good of the state and citizens. That is how Rome did it, but it did make the non-citizens a tad unhappy.

·
Banned
2,110 Posts
Alberta Mike,

An extra $25,000 wouldn't get you a Bachelors Degree. To be a dedicated scientist, you learn the basics, the research methodology and where to go to find information. The rest of it is done doing it in the labs and in the field. Do you actually believe to be a knowlegable and dedicated scientist all it takes is purchasing a degree?

When I was a teen people who contracted cancer simply died and that was it. People are living today who have had cancer whereas thirty years ago they would have died. I do believe that cancer is a lucrative part of the medical world and the incentive to cure it totally might not be an inducement to many simply because of the money involved to keep someone alive. I have seen a cure for Small Pox, Polio, and huge advances in heart disease and Cancer in my lifetime. I saw advances come about in Tuberculosis, asthma and Whooping Cough as well. If anyone believes there are no one working to find cures or discover new secrets about whatever these days, and by people who sit around and do nothing but carry the letters behind their names, I can only surmise those people aren't very well informed.

There are archaeologists and earth scientists who have discovered so much in just my lifetime alone it is incredible. I can remember a time when a man with a horse and wagon brought ice to people's homes. Also men who sold vegetables from a horsepulled wagon. That doesn't happen anymore. Not many people depend on a party line system telephones. There were no cell phones when I was in my thirties either. So your arguement doesn't hold much water in my humble opinion unless things are radically different in Canada, which I doubt.

People who sit around and do little more than complaine are those who get very little accomplished. Did it ever make you wonder why people who have degrees get the better and higher paying job? It happened because those of us who did it know what it takes to get those letters. The hundreds of hours studying, researching, turning in term papers and not being able to party because we had "one more thing to get done." I watched many peeople attend college and all they did was party and they are worthless derelicts today because they are dumber than an earthworm. They don't have the reasoning ability to figure out how far is up. You can be sure they don't have jobs that carry any responsibility and they don't get top dollar either for their jobs.

Caseyboy

·
22,122 Posts
There is no official cure for cancer because there is more profit to be made by big pharma in treating the symptoms and in research grants

Reactions: th3boy and Caseyboy

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
It was said that the library in Alexandria, Egypt contained books that told of wondrous technologies. It was likely burned by religious leaders who were afraid the builders of these wonders would be elevated to the stature of God.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
CaseyBoy: You have said:
"Ninety eight percent of all the scientists that have ever lived in recorded history on earth are walking around right now. That in itself should tell you something."

It tells me something. It tells me that anyone with a spare $25,000 can get a degree and be a scientist. Haven't you ever wondered why with all our scientists and researchers and labs that we not only can't cure cancer, they can't cure a cold or the flu.

As for how great Rome was, we could have a lot of wonderous things also if all non-citizens were put in work gangs to work 12 hours a day for the good of the state and citizens. That is how Rome did it, but it did make the non-citizens a tad unhappy.
"There will never be a cure for cancer (at least, not that we'll ever know about), far too much money at stake. There will be new, very expensive "treatments", to legitimize all the money spent on "research", but the " cure" will never materialize."
These were the exact words from my mother's Oncologist, just a few hours before she died of complications of Lymphoma.

·
22,122 Posts
It was said that the library in Alexandria, Egypt contained books that told of wondrous technologies. It was likely burned by religious leaders who were afraid the builders of these wonders would be elevated to the stature of God.
One of the Crusades, I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.