Survivalist Forum banner
841 - 860 of 870 Posts

·
gardener & news junkie
3,863 Posts
Saw something yesterday about a huge sheet of lake ice up there breaking off and setting adrift some ice fishermen who had to be rescued. I can just hear one of them who may have had a few brewskis... "Well, Bob, this is a certainly new way of trolling. " :D

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 ·
It’s so cold here today that all of my security cameras have gone offline. Good thing my policy with Walther is still in force! Oy.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
Ain't life grand! There's no package and nothing in my mail that needs to be delivered today. I might even skip putting the garbage out. Not like I generate much anyway. I'm just damned grateful to have a house, heat, and good winter clothes! Even my fingers are cold.

Azure Rectangle Font Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
A bit of news from the cat condo. My lion’s mane block is fruiting for the third time. At this rate I’ll be prepped with tincture for the next five years! A really good return on a $30 block and a $20 bottle of Everclear.

Window Petal Bridal accessory Fur Freezing

A rose that’s blooming is obviously happy! I have two of these on the one cutting. So, one cutting has taken out of four. Not bad for roses, from what I’ve read. The dewy pine in the background seems to like this room too.

Hand Plant Flower Finger Gesture

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #852 ·
So all of my mushroom growing information is in the same place, here are links to the growing guides I'm using. You may be able to find them locally.

Field guide to general identification: https://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Northeastern-United-States-Eastern/dp/1604696346/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ANSXV2TQ2KBJ&keywords=mushroom+field+guide+baroni&qid=1642083429&sprefix=mushroom+field+guide+baroni,aps,89&sr=8-1

Wonderful pictures, nicely organized, information on habitat, distribution, spores, and misc comments. I also have two cultivation guides:

This one on cultivation by Stamets Amazon.com

and this one by Bray: https://www.amazon.com/Mushroom-Cultivation-MacGyver-Mushrooms-Homesteading/dp/1798517779/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3VHW1JDCTGAEV&keywords=mushroom+cultivation&qid=1642083594&s=books&sprefix=mushroom+culti,stripbooks,96&sr=1-6

Both are very nicely detailed and a great addition to my library. I have them in hard copy.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·
Here’s some fun pictures of the inside of a sawdust block and fungi growing in Petri dishes. I love seeing how things work, grow, & develop. If you think I drove my mother crazy, you’re right.

This shiitake block is headed towards the compost pile. The last flush was a whopping six mushrooms and I don’t think I’ll see any more from here. The block looks pretty well colonized and I’m not sure if there’s much in the way of nutrients left.

Food Aluminium foil Ingredient Tableware Cuisine

Shiitake plates, one month old. I wish I had a dissection microscope so I could really magnify this! And a regular one so I could make slides & stuff.

Tableware Whiskers Circle Dishware Snout

Best magnification I could get from my phone.

Cloud Grey Sky Cumulus Circle

Signs of fungal life in my lion’s mane plate. No sign of replacement culture from that seller. No worries though. If I can’t get my $10 back there’s always leaving negative feedback for the next buyer.

Hand Window Tire Automotive tire Mirror

Grain spawn colonizing. This is a shiitake jar, made from liquid culture. The other jars are a bit young yet to see much.

Terrestrial plant Insect Wood Close-up Pest

I’ve shocked my bag of colonized straw by putting it in the fridge overnight, as per my research. We’ll see if I get some shrooms! 🤞

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I remember reading "A Gardener's Year" by Henry Rider Haggard, published in 1905. He wrote adventure novels like "King Solomon's Mines", but was also an avid gardener and ran a working farm. At one point he wrote about trying to grow mushrooms in one of his greenhouses. I think it was some kind of brick structure, and was heated (like all of his greenhouses) by steam furnaces.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #856 ·

·
Jackpine Savage
6,142 Posts
You have me thinking of trying mushrooms this year, although I'd do mine outside since I have the space and the hardwood stumps.

841 - 860 of 870 Posts