Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
City crews uncover Cold War prep stash *Must See Video!* now with pics

<edit to add>
Pics posted on page 2 and 3 →

This story must be shared on here:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/mathie&id=8527569

The nuclear fallout shelter, discovered by Chicago Department of Transportation crews in the 200-block of South Wacker Drive, is from 1962

"During the demolition process we pulled down one of our walls and uncovered this amazing find,"

·
Less law not more prisons
1,124 Posts
Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing with a wider audience !

Reactions: Filthy_McNasty

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm certain there are a few things we could learn from Cold War-era Civil Defense nuke fallout shelters and associated preparations. This is truly an amazing find.

I wonder if any of the modern preservatives would keep bisquits tasting "not too bad" fifty years from now in the 2060s.

I'd like take it too if the museums don't want it :cool:

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,817 Posts
Many years ago, after they disbanded Civil Defense, I was working as a custodian for a small college, downtown. One day I was tasked with opening up the bomb shelter and cleaning it out. I didn't even know that there was a bomb shelter.

There were hundreds of the water/ waste barrels that I was giving away for weeks.
There must have been a leak in the shelter in the video because those drums were in terrible shape compared to the ones I found. I think I may still have one or two with blankets and quilts packed in them, somewhere.

We tried the crackers and they were still very edible. The real prize was the cans of hard candy. I don't know what was in them but they gave you instant energy. Lemon was the best but the cherry was tasty also.

There was a complete field hospital but the school took most of the equipment for their labs (it was a nursing school). I would have liked to gotten some of the cots but I think they went to a homeless shelter.

I wonder how many of these shelters are still hidden in the depths of the cities?

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
They found the same thing in NYC not long ago ..... it was buried in a bridge abutment and the room was lost with time ..... found old water barrels, biscuits and candy ..... lots of med supplies that had to be secured by the authorities .....

·
Heart of Darkness
539 Posts
What a find! I hope more information and observations come out of this. Such as information pertaining to how well the items have held up, what (if anything) has been rendered useless due to age, conditions, brand, etc.

Even if museums aren't interested, I really hope the items in the cache are put to good use, or continued to be stored somewhere if needed later on. I would hate to see any of it wasted.

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Filthy_McNasty

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a find! I hope more information and observations come out of this. Such as information pertaining to how well the items have held up, what (if anything) has been rendered useless due to age, conditions, brand, etc.

Even if museums aren't interested, I really hope the items in the cache are put to good use, or continued to be stored somewhere if needed later on. I would hate to see any of it wasted.
I may just go down there tomorrow to nose around and see what i can find.

Did you see all of the CD barrels of water!?

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Wasn't all that long ago that a man found a shelter in his back yard in England that might have dated back to WWII. I wonder how much his taxes went up now that the tax assessors knew about the extra construction on his property.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The cold war 50's and 60's, excuse me, but that old guy must have no idea when it ended. It didn't end until 1991. In 1990 I was translating a Persian 2 missile base to 12 Russian diplomats in Germany, it was winding down then and we were disbanding things, including the the 237th I was in, but it ended in 1991. I still remember when the Berlin wall fell, was there too.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts