Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I put together a cinder block grill, look a rack out of the smoker, put it on the grill, then cooked some steaks. Let's just say everything went better than expected.

A few days later I added another cinder block and a tray from a grill to the top. Some sausage was put on the top tray, smoked, then steaks put on the bottom tray.

Overall, I am very happy with how well the grill cooked. Instead of using my big pit and using a bunch of wood, I cooked the sausage and steaks with three pieces of wood.

This would be ideal for a remote cabin, hunting camp, bug out location... etc.

Attachments

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Interesting adaptation of the rocket stove concept.

I still think I'm going to stick with the gas grill that I converted to wood... It works very well. Those racks seem kind of high up away from the flame.

·
reluctant sinner
16,898 Posts
My neighbor stacked up a bunch of cinder blocks to make a reflective wall elevated fire pit. A lot of the blocks in the serious fire zone have suffered serious damage after a few years of occasional use. Cheap enough to replace the bad ones.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Interesting idea. Would certainly last long enough until you could build a more permanent grill.

Also like charliemeyer007 mentioned, cheap enough to replace.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm on the third year of my cinder block rocket stove with no damage to the blocks yet . My climate ranges from buried in snow to baking in the arid summer sun .

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
It gets the job done. While technically, cinder block is not highly resistant to thermal shock, I'd say this setup will last indefinitely. There's nothing harmful or toxic in cinder blocks, so no danger there.

Let me know when the steaks are done and I'll bring a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label...it'll go perfect.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. We used to build similar to this with ordinary rocks while out camping and hiking. Only had to drag a little grill along with us. Much better than trying to cook on an open campfire. Do not build one of these with river rocks. They have tiny fissures with water in them and are prone to exploding when you get them hot. Tiny explosions, but they throw rock chips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks really good. What I do not grill, but usually do it in my trailer on my favorite BBQ 47628. I remember once when the guys and I took a metal barrel and made a smoker out of it, it was cool!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Yup, that will work. You may want to put another level to hold the actual fire, corrugated steel maybe, or even just the blocks, with the top row placed horizontally to hold the fire. That way you dont have to kneel to get the fire going and keep it up, a lot more comfortable, its probably more effective too.
Think along the lines of a parrilla like we use in Argentina..

·
Registered
549 Posts
I passed up the chance at a free pickup load of fire brick a few years ago. Just no where to put them. I still kick myself. Would have been great for something like this.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Quite nice, we used to do something similar as kids only it was a lot lower. We pirated a section out of a shopping cart to use as the grill portion.

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
Yup, that will work. You may want to put another level to hold the actual fire, corrugated steel maybe, or even just the blocks, with the top row placed horizontally to hold the fire. That way you dont have to kneel to get the fire going and keep it up, a lot more comfortable, its probably more effective too.
When I lived in San Luis Obispo (CA) we called those Santa Maria grills, for the town just south of SLO.
I'm sure that it originated down there Argentina/Chile wise, lot's of hispanic cow punchers in central CA back in the day.

They are absolutely the best thing in the world for tri-tip. Some oak coals, just let it roast... add some pinquito beans and some sourdough... maybe a scallop or abalone as an appetizer... ugh. Now I'm hungry.

Kev, your cinderblock grill is tip notch. I, like you, have a large smoker that I built. Love it, but... it's work and not really efficient to cook a small portion.
Something like that looks simple and effective. Win/win.

Now I just have to convince my wife to let me have another cooking thing in the back yard. Man, I need some land... :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,221 Posts
I think Kev should put a pot hanger on it so he can hang a Dutch oven in the middle and cook us all some chili.... to go with the steaks and sausages.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As a low cost prep keeping 10-15 cinder blocks around is high on my list. I stack them behind the shed. I also keep about 20 solid red bricks around.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
That's neat! What is happening over at the left side?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts