Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
While it can certainly be mocked by forum standards there really isn't anything wrong with it. Most of us are going to face at worst a wildfire or hurricane. Maybe a quake a bit bigger than expected.

Really all you need there is a tank of gas and some cash for when you get to a town that isn't affected. Of course some basic tools and parts in your car are a good idea as well as clothing for the climate and a bit of food that doesn't need cooked.

I think they covered that stuff. We want more, but it really would be enough for most people.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Actually the worst thing they left off are shoes. Especially for women this is important. What if you have to “go” in dress shoes or worse yet high heels ?

Also what about some toilet paper. Just a basic hygiene kit toothbrush , toothpaste , soap, etc. and if you are a woman you should have feminine hygiene supplies.

Soap is a big deal if you get oily repairing a broken down car or something similar.

First aid kit.

Spare car and house keys.

What about money / a credit card? At least 50 dollars and a credit card would be a smart addition. Has money to get home , a hotel for a night , etc.

A rain poncho is a good addition

Some form of cordage. Usually Para-cord at least 100 feet.

And also a hat to help with glare , warmth and also to keep water off you.

Don’t forget sunglasses. With sunblock. That way you don’t get burnt , blinded etc it out in the sun.

Also some deep woods off or similar repellent. In case you are on foot.

A change of clothes is nice. But at LEAST under wear and socks. Maybe a belt. These things are just essential. If you get wet and have space blankets and spare underwear and socks and shoes you can keep warm enough to dry out other clothes.

Spare glasses is you wearing them.

And a pair of gloves should go on the list.

Pen and notepad.

Emergency radio. Preferably one th Ag will Hand crank charge itself and a usb Charger

A deck of cards. Boredom can be an issue for a Group in an emergency. Cards boost moral.

Any prescriptions you take.

Cigarettes if you are a smoker.

A pint of whiskey or vodka. Preferably in a metal or plastic flask.

A coat , jacket and or hoodie if you have room.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
While it can certainly be mocked by forum standards there really isn't anything wrong with it. Most of us are going to face at worst a wildfire or hurricane. Maybe a quake a bit bigger than expected.

Really all you need there is a tank of gas and some cash for when you get to a town that isn't affected. Of course some basic tools and parts in your car are a good idea as well as clothing for the climate and a bit of food that doesn't need cooked.

I think they covered that stuff. We want more, but it really would be enough for most people.
I kind of agree. I added to the list what I think the bag would need to be a bug out bag that would cover you if say your car broke down on the way to evacuate from the fire, flood or hurricane, etc. or as a get home bag if you broke down on the way home or had to bug out from a hotel or the office.

But either way you are more likely to use toilet paper than a map or fire starter.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
I strongly recommend some hand-drawn wheeled device, either something as simple as a hand truck or something more sophisticated.
In the event you must go on foot and one of your party can no longer move on their own you have something to transport them with, and or transferring the gear to the device can make the treck far easier.
If you are about to looose your home to fire or flood, there is nothing to go back to.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
From the reply:
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but should serve as a reference as you build a more personalized list based on your needs and those of your family, as well as the specific threats or challenges you are likely to face in your part of the world
I think the 72 hour approach is a great start to get most people's ball rolling. If you make it too complicated or expensive most folks will put it off and not start at all.

It's like when you take a new shooter to the range to get comfortable with the basics and the resident range groupies swoop in to "help". Too much too fast can do more harm then good.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Since the citing of FEMA within the statement of cause and effect, very basic load out indeed..

doesn't cover short medium and long term wound care and pain management..

nor doesn't cover proper meals ..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mobility over comprehensiveness.

I was actually a little surprised that they had as much water and space blankets as it did. I'm not sure I'd have that. But then I know where to find more and carry a filter.
I think one strength for this kit is mobility. It's all good and well to have jackets, sleeping bag, cook kit, etc, but I'm sure there are plenty of situations where mobility would be better than having everything. And given who it's coming from, they probably need to mobility more.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I was actually a little surprised that they had as much water and space blankets as it did. I'm not sure I'd have that. But then I know where to find more and carry a filter.
I think one strength for this kit is mobility. It's all good and well to have jackets, sleeping bag, cook kit, etc, but I'm sure there are plenty of situations where mobility would be better than having everything. And given who it's coming from, they probably need to mobility more.
A jacket doesn’t take up much space. Neither do space blankets. Really a sleeping bag can be pretty small too now. And you can get a really light one from amazon for 20 bucks.

I think keeping from hypothermia is a real concern in most of the country for at least part of the year. So that should be a priority.

I wouldn’t pack too much water. A canteen full for sure. And a life straw or other filter.

Of course climate determines how concerned about water and cold you are.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'll just take it as another list and give a review. As with all these lists people provide there is a bias to it, deliberate or not, based upon the author's situation and perspective. My intention is build my kit to suit my needs. I listen to suggestions but in the end it is my responsibility.

·
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ &#923
3,053 Posts
OF COURSE..
You know anyone who clicked on that link is now officially on a CIA black list for extermination ..."when the time comes.":thumb:
I was going to respond but after this post...I'm not sure. :D:

Let's hope the time doesn't come, right?

As for this agency putting out a list I don't see it being a bad thing. The more people who have a ready bag, and prep the better.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts