Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Indefatigable
22,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the time to make goodies you usually do only once a year. Making candy and baking is a tradition at our house. It's always nice to add something new to the old standbys. Please post your favorites! I will start off with one that is delicious and simple

3 minute Cranberry and Pistachio Fudge

3/4 cup of dried Cranberry's
1/2 cup of chopped pistachios
1 T of maple syrup or pure vanilla
1/2 cup of heavy cream
12 oz white chocolate chips

Line a loaf pan with foil, leaving some hanging over the edges for easy removal. Butter the foil and set aside.
Combine the syrup or vanilla, cream and chocolate chips in a medium sized microwaveable bowl.
Microwave and stir at one minute intervals until mixture is smooth.
Fold in dried cranberries and pistachios and spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
Let cool for an hour or more on the counter or refrigerate for 20-30 minutes until the fudge has completely set up.
Remove the fudge from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut fudge into squares and serve.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Biscochitos

2 1/2 c. lard
1 c. sugar
6 c. flour
1 T. cinnamon
2 t. anise seed
1 T. grated orange zest or 1 tsp orange peel powder
1/2 c. sherry or brandy (you can substitute fruit juice, but they won't come out quite as flaky)

1 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground anise

In small bowl mix wine or brandy, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon, anise seed, and orange zest and set aside overnight.

Next day: Whip lard until very fluffy, add liquor mixture, and blend well. Add sifted flour and mix with hands until it sticks together. Divide into 3 balls, roll each out on well floured board to 1/8 thick, cut diagonal 1 inch wide strips to left and right forming diamonds.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 8 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees. While still warm roll in 1 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/2 t ground anise. Makes 8-9 dozen.

(And I like everything about your recipe, Jojo, but the white chocolate. I have neer been able to like white chocolate. I think my red and green will have to go into dark--it won't be as pretty, but I'll like the taste better. :) I have made cherry-pistachio nougat for the holidays, which is also festive, but more work than your recipe. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cherry-pistachio-nougat )

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
I normally bake dozens and dozens of cookies and then take a bunch to work. Well, since I'm not working any more, I'm not going to bake many cookies this year, but I'm going to try making candy. I've got a new recipe for Salted Caramels that uses Honey flavored whiskey. I'm going to make them tomorrow after I do snowblowing and shoveling. (we are supposed to get 12 inches of wet, yucky snow). If they turn out, I'll post the recipe. I've never had much luck in making candy, so keep your fingers crossed.

Your fudge sounds good Jojo, I think I'll give it a try. NY Min, yours sounds good too, but I don't have any anise and I'll bet that can't be left out! LOL

·
Registered
19,929 Posts
Ting-a-lings:

You can google a wide and vast variety of these and the different aspects of them. Some use Chinese noodles. Some butterscotch. Some white chocolate... up to what you like.
My version is aligned with my more simple (picky) tastes.

Semi-sweet and dark chocolate.
Melt it in a double boiler and add about 2 tbl spoons of sweet cream, salted butter per cup of chocolate.
When melted you drop in about a cup-cup and a half of Kellogg's product 19 and stir it all together. Drop by spoonfuls on a sheet of wax paper and let cool. Easy peasy and super yummy!
I'm sure you could use Frosted Flakes or something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
I normally bake dozens and dozens of cookies and then take a bunch to work. Well, since I'm not working any more, I'm not going to bake many cookies this year, but I'm going to try making candy. I've got a new recipe for Salted Caramels that uses Honey flavored whiskey. I'm going to make them tomorrow after I do snowblowing and shoveling. (we are supposed to get 12 inches of wet, yucky snow). If they turn out, I'll post the recipe. I've never had much luck in making candy, so keep your fingers crossed.

Your fudge sounds good Jojo, I think I'll give it a try. NY Min, yours sounds good too, but I don't have any anise and I'll bet that can't be left out! LOL
The problem with using the honey flavored whiskey is you have to make the recipe pretty quickly before the whiskey somehow magically disappears from the bottle and there seems to be four mixing bowls floating on your countertop... :eek:

Anise - a little lasts a long time. I ordered one package in with some other stuff. I received one case of packages. I offered to send it back to them. The company declined. I am now the proud owner of three lifetime supplies of Anise. :D:

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
ROTFL Mel!

I don't normally drink, but I had some of this whiskey stuff when I brought it home last week...it's pretty good. I just might have 4 bowls floating around...or maybe I might be floating around after I make the caramels

·
Registered
19,929 Posts
One of my BIL's clients (he's a chiropractor) makes him the most awe inspiring Rum cake I've ever tasted. He gets one every year. I'd kill some folks for that recipes. Ridiculously moist and the perfect amount of rum without being obnoxious. Mmmm

·
Super Moderator
12,403 Posts
Some of my favorites:

Pecan Logs

1 7oz jar marshmallow crème
1 1-pound box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 14oz package Kraft caramels (I haven’t found any others that will work as well)(won’t use all, but it is easier)
3 Tablespoons water
Chopped Pecans (a lot of chopped pecans2 Tablespoons Butter

Mix marshmallow crème, vanilla, and powdered sugar (getting the last of the sugar absorbed is hard, but doable)
Divide into 16 equal balls
Roll balls into approximately 5” long, little finger size logs
Wrap individual logs in waxed paper
Chill over night

Melt caramels with the water
Take melted caramels off the heat, but keep warm over pan of hot water
Using a pair of forks, tongs, or some other method coat logs with caramel
Immediately roll the caramel coated logs in chopped pecans
Set on waxed paper to firm up
After cooling wrap logs individually in aluminum foil

Can be eaten immediately, but the pecan logs are much better after about a week. This allows the nougat to mellow.

Do not attempt to do a double batch.

(People will want the recipe. And will try to sneak as many as they can when you are not looking. I get major compliments for these.)

Divinity

2 ½ cups granulated white sugar
½ cup white Karo syrup
½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
2 Egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional. I prefer black walnuts, but pecans are good, too)

Combine sugar, syrup, salt, and water
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved
Cook without stirring to 248°F
Just before the mixture reaches 248°F beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry
Pour ½ of syrup mixture slowly over egg whites while beating constantly
Cook remainder of syrup to 275°F
Add syrup slowly to first mixture, beating constantly
Continue beating until the mixture holds shape
Quickly add mix in vanilla and any nuts
Pour divinity out onto buttered wax paper or onto marble slab
Allow to cool and then cut into small squares

Cathedral Window cookies

1 1-pound package coconut
1 6oz package dark chocolate chips
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter
3 cups colored miniature marshmallows
½ - 1 cup chopped nuts

Melt butter and chips
Add vanilla and egg and mix well
Let mixture cool slightly
Add marshmallows and nuts
Mix well
Sprinkle coconut onto a sheet of waxed paper
Spoon the mixture onto the coconut in the form of a long roll
Coat with additional coconut
Roll into approximately a 2” diameter log.
Wrap in wax paper and then aluminum foil
Chill
Cut when cool
Keep sliced cooking in the refrigeration until time to serve

Makes two logs. A double batch is doable.

Cognac Balls

3 cups crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup powdered sugar (save a little)
1 dash of salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 ½ to 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder (to taste)
¼ to ½ cup Cognac (to taste)(or brandy, bourbon, Amaretto, etc)(can substitute 1 Tablespoon flavoring + ¼ cup water)
3 to 4 Tablespoon white Karo syrup (to get proper consistency)

Mix ingredients well, adding only enough Karo to make a good consistency
Form into walnut sized balls
Roll balls in powdered sugar
Chill until ready to serve

Do not have my own fudge recipe. When I make fudge, I use the old, standard, Hershey's Cocoa fudge recipe. I often doctor it up with nuts, of course. My killer favorite is Black Walnut fudge. Again, lots and lots of compliments.

Not really specifically for Christmas, but when you have company and want to impress them at breakfast, try this:

Mother’s French Honey Biscuit Spread

2 Tablespoons Butter
½ cup sugar
¼ cup white Karo syrup
¼ cup water
1 egg, well beaten
3 – 4 shakes of ground nutmeg (I like considerably more)

Melt butter in skillet
Mix together remaining ingredients
Pour into buttered skillet
Bring to a boil, stirring often
Reduce heat to bring to a hard simmer until the syrup is a deep transparent amber color and thickened to a coarse texture (will be the consistency of orange marmalade)
Let cool slightly (be very careful as this stuff will cling and burn deep if on the skin or tongue)
Serve on hot buttered biscuits
Serves 3

And another not really Christmas (more Thanksgiving, actually), but if you want something different at Christmas, try this:

Carrot Crème Pie
21st century recipe by Jerry D Young from a 19th century cookbook

1 ½ cup chopped carrots
1 cup whole milk
3 eggs (beaten)
1 ½ tablespoon butter (melted)
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon allspice
9” pie crust
Small amount of melted butter to coat bottom of pie crust
Small amount of flour to dust bottom of pie crust

Cook carrots with a little salt and as little water as possible until soft. Cool. Place carrot pulp and milk in blender. Blend until fairly smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients. Brush bottom of crust with a little melted butter and then sprinkle with very little flour. Pour filling into pie crust. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cool, top with sweetened whip cream.

The amount of filling always overfilled a standard 9" pie shell, so I would make two thinner pies, or just bake the extra in a ramekin to make a pudding.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Will pick up walnuts and pecans tomorrow.
Also honey.
Already have four pounds of blueberry raisins in hand.
Two pounds of pitted dates.
Will be grinding materials Tuesday and making fruit nut balls for Christmas.
Would do it tomorrow, but my nephew wants to sit in and see how these are made. He won't be back until Monday.

·
Registered
19,929 Posts
Ted, your phone did odd things to your first recipe. I reorganized it for you in the quote, but could you check and see how much flour goes in the recipe pelase. The amount seems to not be there. Thanks. :)

Hey... thanks for catching that. It's the most recent version my mom sent me but I haven't made them in almost 10 years. I'll have to email her and ask for clarification. She's no spring chicken anymore so it may take a bit. Can you please remove that post for now so nobody accidentally tries it before I can post the correct measurements?

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Hey... thanks for catching that. It's the most recent version my mom sent me but I haven't made them in almost 10 years. I'll have to email her and ask for clarification. She's no spring chicken anymore so it may take a bit. Can you please remove that post for now so nobody accidentally tries it before I can post the correct measurements?

I'll do it. Let me know when you are ready for it to be put back. :)

·
Registered
19,929 Posts
Hmm.... found these called "whoopie pies". Look the same and kinda the same ingredients/directions.

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add all ingredients to list
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
To Make Cookies: In a large bowl cream 1/2 cup of shortening , 1 cup sugar and 2 egg yolks. (Set egg whites aside for filling.) NOTE: If you don't want to use raw egg white in the filling, leave it out. Substitute 1 whole egg for the 2 egg yolks in the cookie recipe so you don't end up with leftover whites!!
In a separate bowl sift together 2 cups flour, 5 T cocoa, 1 t baking powder, 1/2 t salt, 1 t baking soda. Add to other mixture alternately with milk, beating well. Add vanilla at the end.
Drop by large spoonful on greased pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
To Make Filling: Beat together 3/4 cup shortening, 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 2 egg whites and dash of salt till light. Add 1 tsp. vanilla.
To assemble: Spread the flat side of one cookie circle with a spoonful of filling. Top with another.

*note* copy/paste seems to make the directions read funny. Maybe just google different versions of "whoopie pies"???

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Get a bag of the Andes mints chips. Bagged like choc chips. Follow the recipe on the bag for cookies. They are awesome. Make sure you flip the sealed portion of the bag as the flour amt is there, hidden by the seam flap. The mint chips are Andes mints broken into pieces.

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
Cow Pies

2 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
2 1/2 to 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, cocoa, milk, and vanilla. Bring to a slow boil and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 min. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the peanut butter and 2 1/2 cups oats. The mixture should be thick; stir in additional 1/2 cup oats if too runny. Let the mixture stand for about 10 minutes to cool.
Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Drop the mixture by heaping tablespoonful onto the lined sheet. Let the cookies stand at room temperature for 1 hour to firm up. Store in an airtight container.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
NY Min, yours sounds good too, but I don't have any anise and I'll bet that can't be left out! LOL
Actually, it can. They make good plain cinnamon cookies, and there are some folks in New Mexico who don't like the flavor of anise and leave it out of their recipe. If you want a slightly more complex flavor, add a bit of ground nutmeg to the cinnamon in place of the anise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The problem with using the honey flavored whiskey is you have to make the recipe pretty quickly before the whiskey somehow magically disappears from the bottle and there seems to be four mixing bowls floating on your countertop... :eek:
Even number is always a problem!

When two mixing bowls appear, I often grab the wrong one.

When three appear, I just mix the one in the middle.

When four appear, I might be done cooking for the day. Leastwise, I shouldn't be using an oven :upsidedown:

DS

·
Indefatigable
22,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love the woopie pies and so do my family and friends, I make those year round for birthdays. It's one of the most requested things I bake. The recipe here is close to mine, which I got from a Mennonite lady. If you have never had woopie pies, you need to try them soon!
Cow pies are good too!

Reactions: tedlovesjeeps71
1 - 20 of 37 Posts