Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to come up with frugal, but thoughtful Christmas gifts for this year. So far I've come up with:

handmade doll clothes for my youngest
lap quilt or blue jeans purse for my oldest
homemade jam or salsa with pretty ribbons tied around the top (friends & family)
hot cocoa mix in jars for friends/family
crocheted tree ornaments for friends/family

I have no idea what to do for dh. He's not into the outdoors or guns, knives, hunting, fishing or survival stuff. I already made him an afghan years ago, so that rules out a quilt. We recently bought a nice grill and he really doesn't need any power tools that I know of. We already have a BOB for the car.

Last year I bought him a scanner, and he does like it really well. This year I'm stumped. What can I get that's either frugal or a survival type gadget he'd like?

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
A few years ago I was down right broke poor for xmas. I made scented hot pads and aprons for gifts, as well as scented sachets.
I bought the $1 a yard cotton from walmart in cute colors and also checked the clearance/remnent bin. I then bought cinnamon sticks, star anise cloves, etc. I didn't have a coffee been grinder or any other kitched gadget other than your standard bare essentuals. So I grushed them with a rock, mixed them with rice, and then filled up squares I had sewn. I had sewn channels into the pads so it would keep the filling from lumping up. I also put cedar chips in others with lil ribbon loops to hand in the closet.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
My Mom used to make bread in a jar and when she sealed the jars she would put hand cross-stiched covers on the lids (with Christmas themed stuff) and give those out to friends.

Here's the bread recipe (it's really good)

Bread in a Jar

Enjoy…

Cream 2 1/2 cups of sugar with 2/3 cup of shortening
Set aside

Mix 4 eggs with 2/3 cup of water and 2 cups mashed fruit (bananas, dates, apples, pumpkin, whatever...)

Combine sugar/shortening mix with water/egg/fruit mix

Add:
3 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Spray the insides of 8 wide mouth pint sized jars with cooking spray.

Fill jars 1/2 full and set them inside a glass casserole dish (no lids on the jars)

Place casserole with jars inside a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes.

While baking, scald lids and rings of jars in boiling water.

After baking remove jars one at a time, wipe rims clean, and immediately put the seal and ring on each jar (before taking the next jar from the oven).

When lids "pop" tighten the rings to finish sealing the bread.

Makes about 8 jars

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
a fire starter flint and steel for a key chain even if hes not into the survival thing it cool and he can show his freinds

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
How about candles in jars? Everyone loves those, and you can make them from recycled wax from leftover candles and color them with stubby, broken crayons. I love candle making time!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I usually give friends and family a goodie basket of breads and cookies. I saw this online and thought it would be easy and inexpensive to make for freinds and family:

Easy Potpourri Gel craft
1 cup concentrated liquid potpourri
2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatine
Empty jar

Heat potpourri until almost to a boil. Remove from heat and add 2 envelopes of gelatine. Stir to dissolve gelatine and pour into clean decorative jar. Place piece of plastic wrap over jar and secure with rubber band. Either place in refrigerator for quick set or leave out overnight on counter. Cover with piece of starched "lace" and wrap with ribbon to decorate.

Before using, remove plastic wrap and recover jar with lace cover.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
I usually give cookies, candies, chocolates, breads, jams as gifts in baskets and tins.. this year I think I will do tamales. I have several vegetarian coworkers and one who doesnt eat gluten. I can make bean/cheese, apple, etc.
What do y'all think? I wonder how venison will do in them.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
if he liked the scanner how about a Yaesu VR-500? much the same deal but portible, flixible, and a bunch of other things that end in ible!

for the zero cost gift with nine lives how about making up a bunch of barter cards... some 3x5 index cards with values like "foot rub", "take out the trash", "romantic night out", "turn the compost pile", or "change the nappie"? make sure they say "good for one use by the bearer". you have to really put your magic nation to use for this one, but it can be something special.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
This is horrible, but one year my son and I were watching "Married with children" The family wrapped up one of Al's good shirts and gave it back to him.

We went into the garage and found a new looking "many drawer cabnet" filled with nuts and screws. We cleaned it up and wrapped it.

My husband openned it Christmas morning and with a smile on his face, told all of us how he had been wanting one of those cabnets for a long time.

We laughed a lot, and he never did get a brand new Christmas present that year.

One day my brother had his 3 young children in the front yard painting the garden tools with left over paint. They were making them pretty for Mommy. She was so surprised.

All of you could make Daddy a big jar of cookies, and on the top "You" could leave a small card that says "I owe you a very special evening."

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if he liked the scanner how about a Yaesu VR-500? much the same deal but portible, flixible, and a bunch of other things that end in ible!
Um. . .what is it? If it's electronic I'm sure he'll like it. By the way, his scanner is a small portable type that you can put on your belt or carry in your hand.
Also, in our area scanners are going digital, so does this mean what he has will no longer work? I don't know much about electronics.:eek::

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I usually give friends and family a goodie basket of breads and cookies. I saw this online and thought it would be easy and inexpensive to make for freinds and family:

Easy Potpourri Gel craft
1 cup concentrated liquid potpourri
2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatine
Empty jar

Heat potpourri until almost to a boil. Remove from heat and add 2 envelopes of gelatine. Stir to dissolve gelatine and pour into clean decorative jar. Place piece of plastic wrap over jar and secure with rubber band. Either place in refrigerator for quick set or leave out overnight on counter. Cover with piece of starched "lace" and wrap with ribbon to decorate.

Before using, remove plastic wrap and recover jar with lace cover.
so do you burn this or is it just a smelly

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Um. . .what is it? If it's electronic I'm sure he'll like it. By the way, his scanner is a small portable type that you can put on your belt or carry in your hand.
Also, in our area scanners are going digital, so does this mean what he has will no longer work? I don't know much about electronics.:eek::
it is a portable type scanner you can put on your belt or carry in your hand. no help for you, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
Yep. Digital scanners (aka. trunked systems) can not be picked up by the older analog systems.

Sorry.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
I asked for my gift from my folks to be a cast iron chili pot. I love those!
My dutch ovens have legs so they're awkward to use on the stove. I love making stew, chili, cornbread, and popcorn in them especially on the campfire!

I like making venison jerky ever so often, but it's a pain. We use the dehydrator sometimes and a smoker at others.

I have to say my favorite gift of all time is a hand made bluejean quilt with flannel liner.
i made a flannel squares blanket for my dad one year. you double stitch the seams and one side has raw edges that fray to the stitch and the other side had the smooth sides. down the road you can add batting and a back/front to make it a quilt but he likes it just as it is cuz it's a light weight blanket or warm sheet. And I used the walmart cotton flannel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For a frugal gift for a family member or loved one I've taken photos of family holidays/special occasions and framed them in a collage. It's a thoughtful gift and it's cheap!

I'm stumped as far as the frugal survival gift goes. I've given homemade roadside emergency kits before but you already have the BOB in there...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts