Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I'm a Rebel Rider!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in the paperwork for my first gun. I went with the Judge as it is a 45 and a 410. I like that it is compact and versatile.

I think this is a perfect first gun for me. My next purchase will be a little 22lr. After that my hubby has decided that he want's a PX 90?. (I think that's right).

We are going slow and I feel really good about my little Judge. I shot it at the range at the gun store and it really felt nice. It's a 5 shot, I plan on getting a .380 or another 45 eventually but I like my first little gun.

I hope I did well, it felt right to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good choice. I had to send my Judge back to Taurus to fix a problem with the cylinder sticking but ever since then it's worked like a fine-tuned machine!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good choice! Very powerful and somewhat versatile. Unfortunately it uses the Colt .45 round and not the .45 acp if I am not mistaken. So ammo may not be incredibly common but still not too bad.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
its 45 long colt.... not 45 acp, make sure you are getting the right rounds, just like cptdyn said...

·
Been around
370 Posts
Hope you enjoy it! I'm not a big Judge fan -- don't like the .45 LC rather than .45 ACP and I don't think the .410 00 is a great round (would rather just use a .357) ... but it does have a lot of advocates.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
Not my choice for a first gun, it's a very niche/novelty gun IMO. That said, firearms are all about personal preference, and it's certainly capable of adequate self defense. Enjoy!

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
I hope I did well, it felt right to me.
If it felt right, you chose right. the most important thing to do when selecting a firearm is to put it in your hands, and shoot it if possible. so if it sits in your hand well, and you shoot it well, and you are accurate with it, and it makes you feel safe, you got the right gun..........and good choice BTW. what model judge did you get?

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
What is hard for anyone that owns many firearms or has shot their whole lives is for them to justify the existence of the Judge at all, let alone in their safes.

Since we for the most part like to dismiss the platform, we will never really be a good source of information on it.

People that either have little experience or few guns that get the Judge will probably learn far more tips and tricks than we can come up with detractions.

It is not for me (CA won't even let you get one) but I bet that you find it is not 100% useless like we all think it is.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Not my choice for a first gun, it's a very niche/novelty gun IMO. That said, firearms are all about personal preference, and it's certainly capable of adequate self defense. Enjoy!

I agree, while it can handle a job, I think it is too heavy and low capacity for what it is for. Get a Glock 19 with hollowpoints. Modern 9mm hollowpoint ammo is pretty equivalent to .45ACP(518 ft/lbs vs 453 ft/lbs) and the "weakness" of 9mm is mostly myth and overpenetration issues. I know the judge is not .45 ACP, I was doing the comparison as most people believe a .45 is much more powerful, when that is not the case. Obviously, the power will vary somewhat based on the loads, I compared a .45ACP 200g +p hollowpoint to a 115g 9mm +p hollowpoint.

What is hard for anyone that owns many firearms or has shot their whole lives is for them to justify the existence of the Judge at all, let alone in their safes.
It isn't useless, it is an ok weapon, and I would rather have one than nothing, but there are other weapons that do its job better. It tries to combine a shotgun and handgun, and mostly fails. Either of those weapons would be better for the task. I personally prefer a handgun for home defense, it is light and maneuverable. A shotgun is great, but if I have one long gun, it's gonna be a rifle. I thought about getting a shotgun, but it has too many negatives to go with its good points(heavy, low ammo capacity, high recoil, much shorter range than a rifle).

·
Jack of many trades
134 Posts
I like your choice, but haven't been able to justify one for myself yet (I'm cheap and only pick things up when they're a steal, and haven't found a steal on a judge yet). Yes, when you go with something that does lots of things, it wont do any of them as well as a single purpose piece. It can be a good multipurpose piece nonetheless.

Enjoy it, and practice often!

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
The Judge is a fun gun to shoot, and adequate for home defense at short ranges. If you're comfortable with it, with shooting it, I wish you all good things with it.
Be sure to do some target shooting with it to see juse exactly how well your particular gun groups both the .45 LC rounds and also how the .410 shot patterns. Measure the longest possible range in your house, down a hallway and across the adjoining room or whatever, and shoot at that range to see how your new Judge performs with both shot and bullets.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I have one and basically the only time I use it is when out and about on the farm. It's handy to have the 45 colt ready in case of bobcats and a couple of 410 as well for snakes. Both of which have been know to take up residence in our barns.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
Congrats , this should prove to be interesting .
I would recomend getting reloading equipment and learning how to do both the long colt and shot gun rounds ,it will be worth it .
I have a question , Is the barrel rifled or smoothe bored ?
Rifling is great for the long colt but not so great for shot .
vise versa a smoothe bore is great for shot, but not real great for a slug .
I believe there are two different models.
I might have chosen the smoothe bore personally .
I looked at that gun long and hard but I already have so many ,and another .45 long is just not necessary for me. yet

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Congrats....:)

I would suggest the PDX1 410 for home defense....I have 1 or 2 threads here on SB about me and mine :)

___________________________________________________ _____________
❤❤ Someones out there loves me as much as I love them....and I miss them ❤❤

Attachments

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Congrats , this should prove to be interesting .
I would recomend getting reloading equipment and learning how to do both the long colt and shot gun rounds ,it will be worth it .
I have a question , Is the barrel rifled or smoothe bored ?
Rifling is great for the long colt but not so great for shot .
vise versa a smoothe bore is great for shot, but not real great for a slug .
I believe there are two different models.
I might have chosen the smoothe bore personally .
I looked at that gun long and hard but I already have so many ,and another .45 long is just not necessary for me. yet
It has to be rifled otherwise it would be a short barreled shotgun

·
Registered
556 Posts
of course you did...most popular revolver sold today. Oh what a trendy gun.
Easy sell to a first time female buyer, I just want to know how the jackass that sold this to you really feels about this weapon. Would he recommend it to his wife or mother?
Don't get me wrong, I like the Judge, for certain things, but NOT for any female in my families first weapon.
Of course we don't know your overall skill level or experience, but most first time buyers are newbies and make uneducated mistakes- I did.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
of course you did...most popular revolver sold today. Oh what a trendy gun.
Easy sell to a first time female buyer, I just want to know how the jackass that sold this to you really feels about this weapon. Would he recommend it to his wife or mother?
Don't get me wrong, I like the Judge, for certain things, but NOT for any female in my families first weapon.
Of course we don't know your overall skill level or experience, but most first time buyers are newbies and make uneducated mistakes- I did.
WOW DUDE calm down a little....when I got mine there were people who thought about the same way you do....until they shot it....the Judge is a very nice hand gun....does what it is suppose to do and is easy to handle.

I chose to go with PDX1 for the 410 round as it has 3 large projectiles and cowboy load for the 45lc....it does what it is suppose to do....will kill dead as any other weapon :thumb:

BTW I had never heard of Taurus Judge....I was looking for a gun that would fit good for me and was just trying out revolvers....I asked to see it and the guy said you don't want that you want this (pointing to a 9mm) I held it anyway and liked the way it felt....found somewhere that let me shoot it and I liked the way it shot....I like it and it shoots good for me....thats all that matters:)

__________________________________________________ _____________
❤❤ Someones out there loves me as much as I love them....and I miss them ❤❤

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Congrats OP!

My three laws of firearms:

1. Any old gun > no gun.
2. A gun you have confidence in > any old gun.
3. A gun you have confidence in and are proficient with > a gun you have confidence in.

Sounds like you have 1 and 2 in your sights, it'll be time for 3 soon!
Well done and practice, practice, practice. ;) :thumb:

·
Feldwebel
1,331 Posts

Since we for the most part like to dismiss the platform, we will never really be a good source of information on it.

People that either have little experience or few guns that get the Judge will probably learn far more tips and tricks than we can come up with detractions.

It is not for me (CA won't even let you get one) but I bet that you find it is not 100% useless like we all think it is.
Most diplomatic post ever!!:thumb:

Well said!:D:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts