Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on the best way to go from doing 0 chinups to 2 quickly. I have never been able to do any and need to be able to do 2 to leave for Marines bootcamp (im supposed to leave this sunday) so im starting to panic. I know the common answers are negatives and assisted pullups but was wondering what people think will work fastest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG your screwed. they are gonna make you do a hell of a lot more than 2 pullups in bootcamp!!!!!!!!!
Yea thats what i figured but looks like im not leaving yet anyway im getting pushed back. Now I might not get to leave until January but the question still stands it just gives me more than a week to get on it.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Lat pull-downs work well

Also try negatives. Thats where you lift yourself up with the aid of a chair or something similar. Hold yourself up and SLOWLY let your self down.

I had a fat buddy of mine who wanted to do PULL-UPS not chin-ups. Chin-ups are the girly kind with your hands turned towards you. Anyway, my buddy couldn't do one either. But with negatives (me helping him up and him slowly letting himself down) and pull-downs, he was doing 3 sets of 5 within a month.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hey bro,
first off I am a marine. Get your recruiter to delay your ship out date. If you go now u will end up in PCP. Your life will suck huge balls. You will cry every day. Stay home, diet, RUN EVERY OTHER DAY 3 MILES. Do pull ups every other day and have someone help you up. Do this till your arms fall off. You will need to leave doing about 6 pull ups. When you get to boot you will take a PFT. You will be tired and not able to run as fast, do as many sit ups or pull ups. Sooooo, DELAY YOUR SHIPOUT DATE unless you u want to go through living hell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ignore the title of the article ("Pull-up Training For Women") as it is entirely applicable to your situation (ie how to work on pull-ups if you can't do one pull-up).

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/226/

Also on dragondoor in the articles section there is a subsection called "Bodyweight Strength Training." Read all the articles there. There is even an article by a USMC Officer on acing the Pullup test.

Good luck and thanks for serving!

EDIT: Also check out www.crossfit.com. A ton of military guys swear by their conditioning methods. The have a daily workout posted on their website (for free, I might add). There is a "Getting Started" section that might help you too.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Listen to what hankletO said.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey bro,
first off I am a marine. Get your recruiter to delay your ship out date. If you go now u will end up in PCP. Your life will suck huge balls. You will cry every day. Stay home, diet, RUN EVERY OTHER DAY 3 MILES. Do pull ups every other day and have someone help you up. Do this till your arms fall off. You will need to leave doing about 6 pull ups. When you get to boot you will take a PFT. You will be tired and not able to run as fast, do as many sit ups or pull ups. Sooooo, DELAY YOUR SHIPOUT DATE unless you u want to go through living hell.
This is the best advise given so far! Get on the phone right now and postpone your enlistment until you get yourself in shape. I don't know what bootcamp is like now, I went through MCRD about 40 years ago, but hanklet0 is right you will be crying. I've seen guys in there crying and saying they wanted their momma. Boot Camp is no place for wimps! These guys are going to break you down mentally and physically no matter how tough you think you are. Once your feet hit the deck your ass belongs to them and their job is to make your life hell, you are going to be yelled at, cussed at and called every low life name you can think of and even learn some new ones. You are going to wake up in the morning running and it's non stop from there on, you are going to be pushed and more scared than you ever have been in your life.Your going to be standing at attention with DI's screaming at you calling you a fat lazy puke. If you think you could never wind up on the ground crying for your mama you better think again because these guys will do their best to put you there! Now put that candy bar down and give me 20 :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I need advice on the best way to go from doing 0 chinups to 2 quickly. I have never been able to do any and need to be able to do 2 to leave for Marines bootcamp (im supposed to leave this sunday) so im starting to panic. I know the common answers are negatives and assisted pullups but was wondering what people think will work fastest.
You can't do pullups, join the Navy.

*runs*

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The best advise is above: postpone bootcamp.

I own a Crossfit Gym. I have over 20 females at my gym who can do 5+ pullups with about 6 female members who can do 20+. Several of our men can do 40+ without coming off of the bar. With that being said, here is my recommendations.

Stay away from lat pulldowns. Lat pulldowns only involve your arms moving, pullups involve your whole body moving (there is a big difference). There are a lot of stabilizing muscles that must be used to do pullups and these muscles need lots of training.

Start with jumping pullups. Place a bench, box, or whatever under the pullup bar so that you can stand under the bar with your knees slightly bent while gripping the bar. Jump and pull yourself over the bar (it's best to try to pull your chest all the way to the bar instead of just getting your chin above the bar). Work up to 3 X 15. Once you can do 3 X 15, lower the platform that you are jumping off of by a few inches. As you get stronger you will be jumping less and pulling more.

Do negative chinups (palms facing). Chinups use more muscles than pullups do and you will see fast results with them. Chinpups also use the same stabilizing muscles that pullups do so these muscles are getting trained. Jump your chin above the bar and lower yourself slowly and under control. Do a set of 5 than rest one minute. Repeat for 10 sets. Only do negatives after you do 3 X 15 jumping pullups. Negatives are brutal if done properly and you must be warmed up thoroughly before doing them ( this will be accomplished by doing jumping pullups first)

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
133 Posts
Consider buying the assisted pull up package from the site below
http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php
Train negatives, static holds and assisted pull ups untill you can do about 3-4 decent reps then train your pullups every day or almost every day, doing many sets of approximately 50% of your maximum reps spread throughout the day. Aim for at least 5 sets per day and as many as 20. Training pullups with GTG should enable you to increase your maximum reps, so periodically take a few days off and test yourself, perhaps once a month. Also do pyramids so say you can do a maximum of 5 reps in a row do 1-2-3-2-1 do it 3 times or more with short rests in between. When you have got to your target reps start training deadhang pull ups the same way. Shed any excess weight your carrying aswell. Google Grease the Groove pull ups
Good luck:thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey bro,
Thanks for your response. I have been pushed back until January or February in Michigan they wont send us to bootcamp unless we are doing pullups already so I couldnt go into PCP even if I wanted to (im desperate to leave quickly but not enough to go through that) as far as preparing goes I have been in delayed entry since early September and have gone from 270 pounds running the mile and a half in like 18 minutes to 225 and running it in mid 11s and im getting over a hundred crunches in two minutes wich is above perfect for the PFT. I work out with other poolies every weekday and am more than willing to push myself its just that before now I was too worried about running and dropping weight that I didnt focus enough on pullups.

Also thanks to everybody else who replied.

·
Wendigo244
103 Posts
Wholly crap you only need too do 2 pullup to get into the marines?..... Being Canadian that blows me away.
Just to get into the office to talk to a recruiter We had to do 7. And that was just to get the chance to apply.
And that's not some high brow organization like the Marines. Its Just the Canadian Army.
Now don't get me wrong because I been rock climbing for alot of years so 7 chinups ain't even a light warm up.( well maybe with 1 hand...)

·
"Survivalist since Birth"
551 Posts
Wholly crap you only need too do 2 pullup to get into the marines?..... Being Canadian that blows me away.
Just to get into the office to talk to a recruiter We had to do 7. And that was just to get the chance to apply.
And that's not some high brow organization like the Marines. Its Just the Canadian Army.
Now don't get me wrong because I been rock climbing for alot of years so 7 chinups ain't even a light warm up.( well maybe with 1 hand...)
2 Being the VERY VERY VERY VERY VEEERY MINIMUM.

I am going to be an Officer...so we are expected to be able to compete with and hopefully smoke most enlisted guys (lead by example if you cant at least equal their effort you will be viewed as the typical college war officer who doesnt have a true relationship with his men).

I am actually going to the gym at 6:30 and will be making a log of my PT in order to prep for OCS and Marine Option ROTC

They told me that I need to be running 3 miles at a 6:15 pace, be able to kill off 100 crunches, and do 20 pullups.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
maybe join the salvation army. this time of year you could be a great asset as a santa ringing a bell. HO HO HO!!!

·
Banned
8,012 Posts

I am going to be an Officer...so we are expected to be able to compete with and hopefully smoke most enlisted guys (lead by example if you cant at least equal their effort you will be viewed as the typical college war officer who doesnt have a true relationship with his men).

OMG! i never met an officer that wasnt a soft, gelatinous wimp!

·
Registered
798 Posts

I am actually going to the gym at 6:30 and will be making a log of my PT in order to prep for OCS and Marine Option ROTC

They told me that I need to be running 3 miles at a 6:15 pace, be able to kill off 100 crunches, and do 20 pullups.

Future sir, I am a E-4 in the Marines "lead by example" Best advise especially for PT. Those younger guys cant be lookin a fat slow leader. Well sir......hope you can beat 700 sit ups in 18:58. "those are sit ups not the bull-**** crunches we do for our PFT" I also do 32-34 pull ups depending on the day." I have alot of guys ask me for advise on diet and excercise because of what they see me do. About 8 months ago we started PT-ing the sh*t out of my shop. Since then we have between 25-30 guys that all have first class PFT's. No other shop on base can claim that. That was all from us "little guys". It also works wonders on there attitudes. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
use the bar on a bench press rack, move the bench though. pretty much lay flat but hang from the bar and to a modified pull up. do those till you can do the real thing. hope that makes since.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts