Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20334 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Saw this this morning.

One to keep an eye on to see if it spreads. Hopefully the Chinese don't downplay what is happening.

Be interesting to see if similar checks at airports are stepped up around the world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50984025

Chinese authorities have launched an investigation into a mysterious viral pneumonia which has infected dozens of people in the central city of Wuhan.

The Wuhan health commission said on Friday it was investigating the cause of the outbreak.

In a statement on its website, it said it had already ruled out a number of infection sources - including influenza, avian influenza and common respiratory diseases - but did not mention Sars.

There has also been no human-to-human transmission, the statement added. However, a number of those infected worked at a seafood market in the city, leading authorities to clean the area.

A spokesman for the World Health Organization (WHO) said it was aware of the outbreak and was in contact with the Chinese government.

(more at the link)

***Moderator's notice***

To avoid copyright violations, unless permission is granted by the author/publisher, only a brief portion or summary of the original work is permissible.

·
The river flows
908 Posts
It was my second trip to Hong Kong when that crap was going on. The streets were eerily quiet. I felt like I was in a horror film, like 28 Days Later.

Went into Guanzhou (Canton), business as usual there. Then I went to Yunnan for my hiking holiday and left any thoughts of SARS behind.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Crap.

If they have found 44, there are at least 400 who actually have it.

THIS is the kind of news that someday will kill us all, not anything you see on NBC talking about missiles and generals and the middle east.
I agree that it's something to be very concerned about, but for me, many of these SHTF are about the reaction of people vs the initial problem.

If I can isolate my family from the virus for a year, I think we'll be fine, but I can't isolate my family from crazy people. Even those who live in rural areas won't be safe.

If this happens again, at the beginning of the outbreak, I might move my family to Gunnison Colorado...

Gunnison residents isolated themselves from the surrounding area during the Spanish Influenza epidemic for two months at the end of 1918. All highways were barricaded near the county lines. Train conductors warned all passengers that if they stepped outside of the train in Gunnison, they would be arrested and quarantined for five days. As a result of the isolation, no one died of influenza in Gunnison during the epidemic. ~ wikipedia

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
It is apparently not easily passed from one human to the next. That's the main thing. Once you get easy transmission of one of these new killer viruses, the balloon has gone up. As long as the transmission chain is limited, we're safe

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I really can't understand why people get all upset about a few sick people in another country. Even if 5000 die , it's still not much compared to the 7 billion and growing humans on this planet.
It would take at least a few percent of humans to get it, before I even consider worrying about it

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,136 Posts
I really can't understand why people get all upset about a few sick people in another country. Even if 5000 die , it's still not much compared to the 7 billion and growing humans on this planet.
It would take at least a few percent of humans to get it, before I even consider worrying about it
So if 5000 people in the US died of this illness.... would that be a reason to get upset?

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,336 Posts
Worry does no good, but a head's up and shoring up your preparations can do a lot of good, especially considering how fast pathogens can travel the globe these days... As fast as an airplane can travel (via people going from airport to cities).

·
Registered
787 Posts
people do get upset and then those people panic

if you dismiss the possible reaction, then you're not prepping.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Because every glob spanning plague STARTS with a few sick people in another country.

And that is one of the very most likely TEOTAWKI threats out there.

Every time we hear about some new strange disease somewhere, it's a shot across the bow of civilization.

As fast as an airplane can travel (via people going from airport to cities).
Indeed. I was here just a month ago....(notice what it says on the wall)

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
It seems MANY new deadly human virus's develop in China. I guess massive amounts of human, cattle, goats, duck & pig waste/crap etc running into a fairly warm rural pond creates a perfect environment for such things to mutate into what they do.

1 - 20 of 20334 Posts