Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 673 Posts

·
Grevcon 10
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's somewhere for everyone trying to figure out their plans and what they should be doing. I know people are trying to get those questions answered on the main thread that's covering the crisis itself.

Here's a repost of mine from the other thread. I'll discuss what's going on with me further here...

We've been discussing this in detail since yesterday. We're basically in survival mode now. We're working out the details and implementing parts of our plans already. This is already not a hypothetical for us. It's considered a kinetic situation.

We're getting everyone else on board, updating them on what's going on, and making sure they're working with us and won't give us **** about responding to this.

We're limiting public contact starting next week. Only real obligations like school and work and strong disease prevention efforts.

Our hospital is a major one, which my wife still works at, that will likely have any possible case from most of the state shipped to it. Once a possible case occurs at our hospital she will be quarantined at an abandoned house we own. I will begin moving preps and handle the kids and isolate them as much as I possibly can.

If the case is confirmed the kids and I will leave here and she will take over here and use up the non-portable/perishable supplies which should be able to sustain her for months.

She will continue to work at the hospital until she can manage to get away from it. Then she'll full quarantine at home for 3 weeks. If she's good after 3 weeks she'll make her way to the farm to join us.
Right now trying to work out which supplies to stage at the abandoned house, and what weapons to leave my wife. She may be here trying to defend herself in the city so she needs firepower, but she may have to carry it up there sneaking it through a quarantine, and we may need it up there.

Basically comes down to leaving her the shotgun or the AR, and if I leave her heavy plate armor and such. She's more proficient with the shotgun, but it's heavier, and the ammo is heavier (plus it would be a major hunting loss if it didn't make it to the farm). She's also not going be able to haul the hard body armor weight up here along with everything else.

Considering an emergency weapon purchase that'll be lighter and still give her the firepower to repel a group trying to break in.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,672 Posts
wash hands minimize touching yourself especially facial areas.

This weekend...

Front porch is getting cleared of plants and other nic nac. Hudson type sprayer set out and will be used with bleach on walkway and outside entry as needed??. Shoes come off before house entry. If believed to be hacked sneezed or overly fondled on in public.... strip down before entry, bag everything up and dose clothes with lysol and set up garment quarantine.

Everyone has travel size germX on them at all times now. Am putting together a small belt clip type PPE FAK setup for everyone in the family. My EDC FAK will be reconfigured. No longer planning to get up close and personal with anyone but family for medical needs.

Its late Im tired and breaking rules and rubbing my eyes.....

I am telling my kids it is ok to be an ******* and not let people into your personal space even if they DONT LOOK SICK.

·
Grevcon 10
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a sprayer for bleach. Also the plan here. Anyone shows up at the door they get shooed away from inside, and then I'll come out in PPE with the bleach filled sprayer and hose down the whole path to and from.

I really wish I'd had our new house built by now. It had a decon room already designed in to the entrance.

Once my wife goes in to full quarantine she's going to have to completely disinfect everything. Think I'll leave her the ozone machine. She can wipe down everything, step out, ozone for a few hours, decon on her way in, and then just barricade herself inside for 3 weeks.

·
Grevcon 10
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's to hoping that communications and electricity stay up. It'll make coordinating and guiding my wife through the process much much easier, plus her decon period much less stressful. I think there's a pretty good chance they will. Even Wuhan's holding together there so far.

If not, I've got portable radios. Range isn't enough to reach to the farm, but we can at least talk without direct contact. That means we can check quarantine status, arrange supply drops, boost morale, etc.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Here's to hoping that communications and electricity stay up. It'll make coordinating and guiding my wife through the process much much easier, plus her decon period much less stressful. I think there's a pretty good chance they will. Even Wuhan's holding together there so far.

If not, I've got portable radios. Range isn't enough to reach to the farm, but we can at least talk without direct contact. That means we can check quarantine status, arrange supply drops, boost morale, etc.
I have not invested in Ozone. Is it safe for this purpose? I have read that it is irritating to the lungs. Or is it..yeah Ozone is bad for you lungs but not nearly as bad as coronavirus.

·
Grevcon 10
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not invested in Ozone. Is it safe for this purpose? I have read that it is irritating to the lungs. Or is it..yeah Ozone is bad for you lungs but not nearly as bad as coronavirus.
You don't stay in the room with it any more than you would a bug bomb. It will seriously damage your lung tissue and other membranes. You turn it on, leave the building, and the machine runs for a set amount of time. You wait 30 minutes to an hour after the timer expires and the ozone will all have broken down. Then it's safe to enter. You'll know if it's still there because you can smell it and it's painful to breathe. Whatever was alive in the room while it was saturated with ozone is dead. Viruses, bacteria, bugs, pests, etc.

It reacts with organic materials so make sure you take living things like house plants, pets, etc out during treatments.

Ozone machines are cheap. 20 to 40 bucks and they're reusable.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
You don't stay in the room with it any more than you would a bug bomb. It will seriously damage your lung tissue and other membranes. You turn it on, leave the building, and the machine runs for a set amount of time. You wait 30 minutes to an hour after the timer expires and the ozone will all have broken down. Then it's safe to enter. You'll know if it's still there because you can smell it and it's painful to breathe. Whatever was alive in the room while it was saturated with ozone is dead. Viruses, bacteria, bugs, pests, etc.

It reacts with organic materials so make sure you take living things like house plants, pets, etc out during treatments.

Haven't seen them that cheap, but didn't worry about it due to distance and not having a life.

Recommend me one please, I'll order a few shipped to a few people.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Just a note to using sprayers with bleach. Rinse them out after use . The bleach corrodes them out quickly. Ive gone through many over the years because I just left the bleach sitting in the sprayer after I used it. The next time I went to use it ,it was toast.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Been playing with ozone for a bit and find it to be a useful easy to use option!

European literature says to trickle a little into your living space. Too much will cause a tickle in your throat so keep it below that level.

The Europeans also have some very cool medical uses, but the easiest is to blast your living space while gone!

I find I can deodorize a small room should some smelly person make it unusable in just a few minutes! Five minutes of heavy ozone then open the window and air it out for a couple minutes and you’re good to go!

SD

·
Registered
597 Posts

Huh, oddly enough I had been considering getting one before to use just this way =)))

I got onto this Ozone kick after buying a small one designed for the fridge.

I think I'll just go ahead and get one.

·
Republic of Texas
1,237 Posts
First on my list is a truck kit for Iyaayas. He frequently runs loads in and out of Chicago and may end up in Seattle at some point too. Kit has extra disinfecting stuff, gloves, masks, disposable shoe covers, my last bottle of Elderberry gummies, and so on. I literally can't quarantine him for 2 weeks so when he gets home, he will remove his boots and outer layer of clothing. They'll go into a bag for Lysol then since we have close neighbors, I'll bring him in and spray him down then re-disinfect the entry room.

We desperately need to restock our first aid and OTC supplies (elderberry and such) after me and both girls came down with the flu two weeks ago. Same with everyday groceries. I've only been feeling better a few days so I hadn't had a chance yet.

That plus adding to already owned stock with things like Lysol and stuff. I have quite a bit already on hand but it won't hurt to have more.

Also refilling meds I am on that are able to be refilled. Think it's only one right now but the others aren't due until Feb 2. At that point, I'll get them refilled even if it means going out. They're lifesaving meds (blood pressure, asthma inhalers and diabetes) and I have to have them. I'm lucky though that my doc approves 90 day supplies for me so once they're in my hands, I'm good. I can stretch that 90 days to 120 if I am extremely careful.

That all happens Monday b/c I refuse to pull it out of my regular budget since it wasn't budgeted for. I have an investment payment due to show up on Monday instead that can handle it while letting us keep our savings handy and still pay bills.

In the meantime, I'm working on getting my closets re-organized and meals/meats/etc cooked and frozen or canned up. Since we were all sick, I really need to get an ACCURATE count of what we have left instead of an educated guess based on a cursory glance. I also want to restock my deep freezer when I go shopping on Monday and want to basically refill it from the ground up. Doing it this way will basically double the amount of frozen meats and such that I can store.

·
That'll be the day...
3,802 Posts
I ordered some masks.

I started doing the things I need to do to boost my immune system.

Twice this morning, I resisted the urge to drive in to town. Mainly because I didn't want to spend any money.

=======================================

Now I seriously doubt Wuhan Virus has hit the Rocky Mountains. The most likely avenue is through Denver International Airport. If and when I learn there are cases in Denver, then I will kick it up a notch.

A lot of Asian's have begun to travel to the Rocky Mountain Ski Resorts. Then of course, you have many from across the globe flying in to Denver, to then ski Vail, Aspen, etc... Be interesting to keep an eye on small mountain hospitals.

·
Grevcon 10
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If anyone is thinking about getting surface sanitizing wipes, I’d strongly recommend medical-grade hydrogen peroxide wipes. They’re available on Amazon.

Hydrogen peroxide wipes have a 1 minute dwell time (time surface must stay wet with cleaner from wipe to work) to kill just about everything on the planet germ-wise. Regular wipes have a dwell time of like 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A lot of Asian's have begun to travel to the Rocky Mountain Ski Resorts. Then of course, you have many from across the globe flying in to Denver, to then ski Vail, Aspen, etc... Be interesting to keep an eye on small mountain hospitals.
One block from my house, there’s a buffet.

Each day, multiple bus loads of international tour groups, with hundreds of tourists— mainly from Asia—stop for meals on the way to Yosemite.

That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I'm getting pretty nervous for my wife. Her job is requiring her to fly first to Atlanta and then to several locations in the deep south.

We're packing her a mask, gloves, sanitizing wipes/hand sanitizer but other than that we can't do much more. Good 'ol travel restrictions and whatnot.

I do have my truck with enough topped off fuel cans to go pick her up without stopping if flights are cancelled or she can't get back home. I'll be carrying as many supplies as I can trying to cover all the bases needed.

She comes home Thursday... I hope this thing doesn't accelerate before then.

1 - 20 of 673 Posts