Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's CNN but I think its worth reading

They've been dubbed China's "Little Blue Men," an allegedly Beijing-controlled maritime militia that analysts say could be hundreds of boats and thousands of crew members strong.
China doesn't acknowledge their existence and when questioned, refers to them as a "so-called maritime militia."
But Western experts say the alleged militia is an integral part of Beijing's efforts to exert its territorial claims in the South China Sea and beyond. They claim its blue-painted vessels and their crews -- allegedly funded and controlled by the People's Liberation Army -- can quickly bring a Chinese presence so large around disputed reefs and islands they are almost impossible to challenge without triggering a military confrontation.

the Beijing government is infinitely better than some in the past, but we can't be fooled that they have entered the 21st century as an enlightened partner in the brotherhood of nations.

I wonder how many of these are independent boats ordered by the gummint to assemble as directed.

with the current administration I think Chin sees and opportunity to expand.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

They've been dubbed China's "Little Blue Men," an allegedly Beijing-controlled maritime militia that analysts say could be hundreds of boats and thousands of crew members strong.
China doesn't acknowledge their existence and when questioned, refers to them as a "so-called maritime militia."
But Western experts say the alleged militia is an integral part of Beijing's efforts to exert its territorial claims in the South China Sea and beyond. They claim its blue-painted vessels and their crews -- allegedly funded and controlled by the People's Liberation Army -- can quickly bring a Chinese presence so large around disputed reefs and islands they are almost impossible to challenge without triggering a military confrontation.

the Beijing government is infinitely better than some in the past, but we can't be fooled that they have entered the 21st century as an enlightened partner in the brotherhood of nations.

I wonder how many of these are independent boats ordered by the gummint to assemble as directed.

Looks like China sent 25 military aircraft into Taiwan’s “Air Defense Identification Zone“ Monday. Not sure what identification zone is exactly, but it sounds kind of alarming.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Looks like China sent 25 military aircraft into Taiwan’s “Air Defense Identification Zone“ Monday. Not sure what identification zone is exactly, but it sounds kind of alarming.
An ADIZ is an area that extends past a country's borders where aircraft are asked to identify themselves to that country, or generally that country will launch fighters to intercept and ID them. The US ADIZ extends out 200 miles in places. It is not actually illegal to fly through an ADIZ. Taiwan does not actually own the airspace the Chinese aircraft flew through. It is meant to be provocative, but that's about it.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
An ADIZ is an area that extends past a country's borders where aircraft are asked to identify themselves to that country, or generally that country will launch fighters to intercept and ID them. The US ADIZ extends out 200 miles in places. It is not actually illegal to fly through an ADIZ. Taiwan does not actually own the airspace the Chinese aircraft flew through. It is meant to be provocative, but that's about it.
Fairly significant for ROC military, though, I would bet. There have been a number of encounters between warships, too. Hope nobody launches a missile by mistake. Or by not mistake.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

The Taiwan Strait is about 100 miles wide. Almost all of Taiwan’s usable land and most of the roads are in the western third, facing China. Wonder how many of those boats could travel 100 miles of blue water, carrying supplies, or maybe personnel.

·
Banned
5,968 Posts
Taiwan is rather short of mil (modern) aircraft right now. A large purchase of modern equipment (including aircraft) was approved but delivery is years out (if the Usurper/the hooker haven't/don't get it quietly canceled).

Send them some of the USAF F-16 that Barry mothballed. NOW.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
As I posted on another thread.

Take a tour of Taiwan in Google Earth.
You will see the advantages China has right off the bat.

The land area includes mostly central chain mountains that if the Chinese secure through airborne troops, the game is over quickly.
I wouldn't even need the maritime militia other than patrolling at that point.
air batteries don't seem to exist on the high ground where they should be.

Once the high ground is taken its a cake walk at that point.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
As I posted on another thread.

Take a tour of Taiwan in Google Earth.
You will see the advantages China has right off the bat.

The land area includes mostly central chain mountains that if the Chinese secure through airborne troops, the game is over quickly.
I wouldn't even need the maritime militia other than patrolling at that point.
air batteries don't seem to exist on the high ground where they should be.

Once the high ground is taken its a cake walk at that point.
Pointless response here, but of all the places I went in Asia and the Pacific and the Indian Ocean, Taiwan was my favorite. I hope they make it.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Great article. The larger piece that's so scary is that there is NO end-game for the PRC. Exactly like the USSR, they simply need to constantly expand to survive. It's a positive feedback loop: more growth = more utilization of resources = more resources needed = to infinity and beyond.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
7,058 Posts

They saw and seized that opportunity in the last admin and the two before that so lets not project political preferences as tariffs never did a thing to stop or slow down maritime expansion.
The sheltering fishing vessel story is hokum in this instance as there is not a scrap of gear on deck and no viable rigging for a vessel that by design is a stern trawler.

·
Red White and Blue
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

China has long denied that it uses maritime militia forces to assert its maritime and territorial claims in South China Sea, often describing the Chinese vessels clustered around disputed reefs and islets as just fishing boats.
But the paper trail left by the Chinese bureaucracy tells a different story.
RFA analyzed bidding documents, corporate records, and other official data in an effort to shed new light on the maritime militia belonging to Sansha City, a municipality under Hainan province that administers China’s claims in the South China Sea from its headquarters on Woody Island in the Paracels.
RFA found that the state-owned fishing company in charge of Sansha City’s maritime militia fleet has managed projects involving classified national security information, a strong indicator that the company’s ships are engaged in more than just fishing.

(RFA = Radio Free Asia)

Chin be flexing muscles
I wonder if they're waiting for some distraction and will make a move into some of those islands
I have to think this is all building up to...something.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
There are six claimants to parts of the area--China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, and Taiwan--and both China and Vietnam have maritime militia. The others will likely follow soon.

·
Red White and Blue
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are six claimants to parts of the area--China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, and Taiwan--and both China and Vietnam have maritime militia. The others will likely follow soon.
India is building an aircraft carrier.
coincidence? doubt it.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
ralfy said:

India is building an aircraft carrier.
coincidence? doubt it.

Coco Islands
The maritime reconnaissance and electronic intelligence station on Great Coco Island in the Bay of Bengal, some 300 kms south of the Burmese mainland, is the most important Chinese electronic intelligence installation in Myanmar [Burma]. The Chinese Army is also building a base on Small Coco Island in the Alexandra Channel between the Indian Ocean and the Andaman Sea north of India's Andaman Islands. These two islands, which have been leased to China since 1994, are located at a crucial point in traffic routes between the Bay of Bengal and the Strait of Malacca. The Coco Islands are thus an ideal location for for monitoring Indian naval and missile launch facilities in Andaman and Nicobar Islands to the south and movements of the Indian Navy and other navies throughout the eastern Indian Ocean.

Construction of the Great Coco Island station began in late 1992 with the emplacement of a 45-50m antenna tower, radar sites and other electronic facilities forming a comprehensive SIGINT collection facility. In mid-1993, some of the 70 Chinese naval personnel began operating the new radar equipment, and by the summer of 1994 the the PLA the radar and SIGINT facilities were complete and ready for use. Sources and Resources

Strait of Malacca

Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
ralfy said:

Coco Islands
The maritime reconnaissance and electronic intelligence station on Great Coco Island in the Bay of Bengal, some 300 kms south of the Burmese mainland, is the most important Chinese electronic intelligence installation in Myanmar [Burma]. The Chinese Army is also building a base on Small Coco Island in the Alexandra Channel between the Indian Ocean and the Andaman Sea north of India's Andaman Islands. These two islands, which have been leased to China since 1994, are located at a crucial point in traffic routes between the Bay of Bengal and the Strait of Malacca. The Coco Islands are thus an ideal location for for monitoring Indian naval and missile launch facilities in Andaman and Nicobar Islands to the south and movements of the Indian Navy and other navies throughout the eastern Indian Ocean.

Construction of the Great Coco Island station began in late 1992 with the emplacement of a 45-50m antenna tower, radar sites and other electronic facilities forming a comprehensive SIGINT collection facility. In mid-1993, some of the 70 Chinese naval personnel began operating the new radar equipment, and by the summer of 1994 the the PLA the radar and SIGINT facilities were complete and ready for use. Sources and Resources

View attachment 375583
Strait of Malacca
View attachment 375584

Andaman and Nicobar islands.
View attachment 375581
Also, in relation to that:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.