1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
China caved to US demands...

-------------

China 'will not protect' Korea ship attackers

China "will not protect" whoever sank a South Korean warship in March, Prime Minister Wen Jiabao has said.

"China objects to and condemns any act that destroys the peace and stability of the Korean peninsula," Mr Wen was quoted as saying after talks in Seoul.

South Korea has blamed the North for sinking the Cheonan with a torpedo.

Beijing is under pressure to take a strong stance against North Korea but so far has not accepted the findings of an independent investigation. More...

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I don't know if China "caved into US demands" or if they finally saw a way to punish that "problem child" of theirs, without directly affirming blame to NK.

As posted elsewhere, China does more trade with South Korea, than the North.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I read that earlier on Yonhap news. It says they will not defend the attacker of the S Korean ship but also says that they have not yet accepted international findings. It's China's way of walking the tight rope and saying what both sides want to hear. It leaves them room to play it out either way they need it to play out. China can say they believe the findings are false and veto sanctions or if it will benefit them in some other way they can play along with the rest of the world.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if China "caved into US demands" or if they finally saw a way to punish that "problem child" of theirs, without directly affirming blame to NK.

As posted elsewhere, China does more trade with South Korea, than the North.
Kim Jong-il and Hillary Clinton both made China trips this past few weeks...seems the US won as China has always backed North Korea...especially after they fought beside each other during the Korean War. This is a major turn around.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Even without nuclear arms, Seoul in is artillery range of NK. I doubt there will be war. Lest hope not anyway. With BHO as CINC, I shudder to think how the war will be prosecuted. He is too swift to cave to political issues at the expense of the military.

·
Custom User Title
65 Posts
Probably going to be a bunch of lip service from China as usual. The state they won't defend the attackers, but you can bet they won't vote for any sort of real punishment either and once again pull out their veto power killing any UN sanctions.

That is if they even agree with the independent investigation's findings and don't try and say it is inconclusive from their standpoint. I don't see China taking any real stance against NK in public. No matter how tired they are growing of Kim and his crap, they value that pawn in their chess game and will ultimately protect it.

I am sure any wrist slapping done by China will be done behind closed doors if at all.

This, of course, is just my opinion so who knows.

-Swampdaddy

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
We're one the largest consumer of Chinese goods....if China backed NK they would stand to lose a whole lot of cash. :rolleyes:

Maybe my aluminum hat is ill fitting....but what would trouble me isnt just a large single 'fire' starting in Korea.....but similar 'coordinated' 'fires sparking up in Korea, Iran, Pakistan, upscaled attacks in Iraq and Afghanistan and not to mention any terrorist actions taken within the US. Thus spreading us extremely thin (more than what we are now). Just a "what if" scenario.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Kim Jong-il and Hillary Clinton both made China trips this past few weeks...seems the US won as China has always backed North Korea...especially after they fought beside each other during the Korean War. This is a major turn around.
I agree that this is a major turn around and good sign for the future. I just can't think of anything we could "demand" of China. I'm sure we presented the evidence we had and China didn't refute it.

It's not like we made them an offer they couldn't refuse. We went to China and asked for permission to take some sort of action. They didn't give us permission to do anything, but they didn't say we couldn't either.

In any event, I think this is a positive step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.