Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Autism Society estimates the lifetime societal cost of a child with autism is between $3.5 - $5 million. Autistic children are highly functional when compared to others with "special needs" who can cost multiples of that figure. From school districts that must dedicate individual instruction to Social Security that provides a lifetime disability income, special needs kids cost a fortune.

We as a society have deemed this a compassionate expense. China has not.

A few years ago we visited China and walked around the Forbidden City in Beijing. We hired a guide and were grouped together with an adoption tour group from New York City. Every member of the group was pushing a stroller with their newly adopted Chinese baby. The Chinese tourists were appalled. The shock on their faces was evident when they saw all these foreigners with Chinese babies. I could only imagine how I would have felt had the situation been reversed.

It turns out the Chinese have been "exporting" their special needs children. Today at least three-fifths of the Chinese-foreign adoptions are of special needs kids.

There are plenty of children right here in the U.S. who need a home. They are not finding homes because they aren't the right "type". The newly adoptive parents we saw in the Forbidden City that day seemed to me to be rich yuppies who wanted a hip accessory - a Chinese baby. An accessory that will cost the government a fortune over the long haul.

This practice should be stopped until we no longer have adoptable kids in foster homes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/27/AR2010032701814.html

·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These adoption practices are not for humanitarian purposes--they are a huge, huge cash business that they are exploiting.

It is not cheap to buy a baby or a kid in China.

ST
That makes it even worse. Americans are paying to bring Chinese babies with "special needs" to the U.S. so the U.S. taxpayer can foot the bill for the high cost of their care.

These adoptive parents should be forced to post a bond of some sort that would fund the cost of care for these children.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I deal with the foster care system closely....we have so many kids in the system that are special needs that end up in institutions cause there parents decide that they are too much to handle once they get out of the cute do everything for me phase. I was denied the ability to adopt a child that was blind and deaf with CP because she was what they call unadoptable......she showed signs of happiness when we visited her...... she laughed and smiled.....she may not have known what she was doing but she was a child that deserved a home with parents that would love her until the day she died. She did die in that institution from complications of a seizure-alone and forever a number. It is truly sad...she was a US citizen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.