Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
they already created a carrier killer icbm why would they use a emp when a tactical nuke would make more sence but regardless of what the warhed is they havethe missile for it

Reactions: WSierra and 556X45

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
If I had all the Mu metal on a U.S. aircraft carrier I could retire a multimillionaire just from the scrap.
Carriers and electronics are probably hardened to handle emp pulses on the carriers. If not, they soon will be.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,581 Posts
The government and military have been hardening against EMPs for decades. I see it unlikely that an EMP nuke would be used in a limited engagement as it would immediately escalate the engagement to a full out nuclear war.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
The government and military have been hardening against EMPs for decades. I see it unlikely that an EMP nuke would be used in a limited engagement as it would immediately escalate the engagement to a full out nuclear war.
actually according to recent reports by the emp commision to congress the us military equipment is actually severely lacking in emp shielding in the cold war we were much more shielded

and our military is severly vulnerable to emp along with almost the entirety of our civilian infrastructure

Reactions: cyber-hazard

·
Insert Clever Phrase Here
526 Posts
China seems quite preoccupied lately with all things aircraft carrier. Like the missile FarmerJohn mentioned, and this new EMP weapon, along with the construction of their own carriers, looks like China might be planning something.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
China seems quite preoccupied lately with all things aircraft carrier. Like the missile FarmerJohn mentioned, and this new EMP weapon, along with the construction of their own carriers, looks like China might be planning something.
another thing i find worrying is russia by mid to end of next year will ahve compleated enough bunkers for the entire population of moscow

china has recently completed two shelters capable of holding 500,000 people

why? i dont put stock in the 2012 or elenin but that coupled with the slavabard seed vault comming online earlier there is something up that no ones saying and that really really worries me

·
What Smell?
69 Posts
Served on them, they ARE Hardened! More probable would be to perfect it and get it a port and take out a city or just good pirating tools!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Served on them, they ARE Hardened! More probable would be to perfect it and get it a port and take out a city or just good pirating tools!
andalot of our ships were made in the cold war alot of the gear the other branches use are not harded or not to the same degree that they used to be

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's because our carriers are the most dominant part of our military.

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
Carrying a big stick has always been a part of diplomacy and who ever has the biggest stick tends to have the last word on a issue. Having a way to destroy aircraft carriers is China big stick if the US was to ever consider bringing the fight to them in Asia. China has had it's eyes on regional resources like deep sea oil for a long time. Since Japan and Taiwan have made it clear they're not going to challenge China for these resources that only leaves the US with it's interest in the Pacific. China has been taking anti-aircraft carrier measures for some time not because it wants to take over the world but to convince the US it's not worth intervening when they muscle their influence beyond its borders. It kind of reminds me of the Monroe doctrine during 1823 when we told European powers not go after resources in Latin America.

IMHO

Hemp

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Is that just your opinion or can you cite a source?;)
i can

2004 report by the empcommision

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/congress/2004_r/04-07-22emp.pdf

here is the report they gave congress in 2008

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

home page

http://www.empcommission.org/

and excerpt from 2004 report

The end of the Cold War relaxed the discipline for achieving EMP survivability within the Department of Defense, and gave rise to the perception that an erosion of EMP survivability of military forces was an acceptable risk. EMP simulation and test facilities have been mothballed or dismantled, and research concerning EMP phenomena, hardening design, testing, and maintenance has been substantially decreased. However, the emerging threat environment, characterized by a wide spectrum of actors that include near-peers, established nuclear powers, rogue nations, sub-national groups, and terrorist organizations that either now have access to nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles or may have such access over the next 15 years have combined to place the risk of EMP attack and adverse consequences on the US to a level that is not acceptable.
The situation for general-purpose forces (GPF) is more complex. The success of these forces depends on the application of a superior force at times and places of our choosing. We accomplish this by using a relatively small force with enormous technological advantages due to superior information flow, advanced warfighting capabilities, and well-orchestrated joint combat operations. Our increasing dependence on advanced electronics systems results in the potential for an increased EMP vulnerability of our technologically advanced forces, and if unaddressed makes EMP employment by an adversary an attractive asymmetric option.
its very inclusive and looks at pretty much every aspect of the infrastructure and how an emp would effect it with a great list of tables at the end

Perhaps they would try to salvage the carrier.
it seems to be unpractical our carriers most being older are up to the cold war paranoia standards and what electronics would they salvage if they fry them all a boats a boat its the hardware that makes it tick that makes our stuff a cut above the rest
plus you not only have the people on the carrier to deal with but the rest of the fleet and i am pretty sure an emp wont knock out our subs

All major ships are hardened smaller stuff is not and they dropped hardening on all land stuff in all branches.
i was saying that just not in so many words:thumb:

Reactions: Skunk Ape
1 - 20 of 48 Posts