Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
h1n1 is just the flu. The flu does this every year. Only the news is calling for it to be named an epidemic. This is just the flu by a different name.

I won't be vaccinating myself for anything because I want my immune system to be strong by itself.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
h1n1 is just the flu. The flu does this every year. Only the news is calling for it to be named an epidemic. This is just the flu by a different name.

I won't be vaccinating myself for anything because I want my immune system to be strong by itself.
The seasonal flu's fatality focus is generally the elderly, very young children an the immunocompromised. H1N1 has killed a staggering number of healthy young people and younger adults. That is part of the unusual concern.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I haven't seen many here yet but whenever this topic is brought up I invariably see a bunch of survivalist die hards talking down on the vaccine. Why?

You'd think that survivalists who want to have the best chance of surviving a pandemic would be all for vaccines which MAY increase their survival. Sure there is nothing in this world that is 100% but any advantage at all seems worthwhile to me unless the downside risks are significant. And I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that there are any significant downside risks of the H1N1 vaccine. Other than the few bucks you pay to get it, anyway.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I haven't seen many here yet but whenever this topic is brought up I invariably see a bunch of survivalist die hards talking down on the vaccine. Why?

You'd think that survivalists who want to have the best chance of surviving a pandemic would be all for vaccines which MAY increase their survival. Sure there is nothing in this world that is 100% but any advantage at all seems worthwhile to me unless the downside risks are significant. And I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that there are any significant downside risks of the H1N1 vaccine. Other than the few bucks you pay to get it, anyway.
That's the key- it MAY. It also MAY have some serious side effects. Given that it's a first run product- many survivalists prefer to take a wait and see approach to better judge the specific risk/benefit ratios. Many also prefer to take their chances with the virus itself, preferring a naturally acquired immunity. Others prefer to avoid the additives (squalene, thimerisol etc.) in the vaccine. The bottom line is that decisions regarding this matter are a very individual risk to benefit ratio assessment issue.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
For some reason, survivalist in general are very against vaccinations of any kind. To each their own, I guess. I want to be vaccinated against anything I might possible catch when there's no medical help available.

We're also a group that's mostly anti-cop too. Odd how certain mindsets form within interest groups. But I digress.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
That's the key- it MAY. It also MAY have some serious side effects. Given that it's a first run product- many survivalists prefer to take a wait and see approach to better judge the specific risk/benefit ratios.
There MAY be some risk but NONE of any significance has materialized so far. There is one thing for sure in all of this. Many healthy young people who ordinarily wouldn't die from the flu HAVE died from this flu. And there are NO documented cases of the vaccine killing anyone.

Many also prefer to take their chances with the virus itself, preferring a naturally acquired immunity. Others prefer to avoid the additives (squalene, thimerisol etc.) in the vaccine.
These sorts of arguments sound very similar to the arguments against storing extra food and water.

The bottom line is that decisions regarding this matter are a very individual risk to benefit ratio assessment issue.
Yes it is. But I can't really see how anyone who uses the above mentioned excuses can call themselves a survivor.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
That is your opinion. I find that there is quite a bit of significance in the possible and reported issues so far.

I do not see any comparison between a thoughtful assessment of the possible risks and benefits based on ones own individual health profile and that of storing or not storing extra food and water.

I find it amusing that you feel that anyone who doesn't think/believe/do whatever it is YOU feel is most beneficial is "not a survivor" LOL I mean really.

How about this- you want the shot- you get the shot. Leave others to make their own decisions based on their own assessments. :rolleyes:

There MAY be some risk but NONE of any significance has materialized so far. There is one thing for sure in all of this. Many healthy young people who ordinarily wouldn't die from the flu HAVE died from this flu. And there are NO documented cases of the vaccine killing anyone.

These sorts of arguments sound very similar to the arguments against storing extra food and water.

Yes it is. But I can't really see how anyone who uses the above mentioned excuses can call themselves a survivor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Right... Because things like respritory failure, infertility, and severe neurological disorders are of no significance.

Don't take my, or anyone else's word for it though. Read the vaccine inserts, or go to the CDC's own website and see what side effects they list that can result from taking the vaccine.

As has already been said, it all comes down to how you personally view the risk vs reward of taking the vaccine. I personally don't feel that the risks of taking the vaccine are worth it. The majority of people that get h1n1 don't even get sick enough to go to the doctor, and it passes just like the normal seasonal flu does. Yes, h1n1 has killed a larger number of children than seasonal flu usually does, but overall seasonal flu has proven to be much more deadly than h1n1.

If you want to pump yourself up with a vaccine that was fast-tracked through the testing proccess, knock yourself out. But I don't think that you, or anyone else has the right to tell me (or anyone for that matter) what I "need" to be injecting myself and my kids with.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
Here are some quotes from an article discussing the hysteria around the H1N1 vaccine.

News Source said:
An analysis of the European data supplied by GlaxoSmithKline reveals that there is precious little clinical evidence to indicate any culpability on the part of the swine flu vaccine. Concurrently, there is not evidence to prove a lack of responsibility.
News Source said:
The American Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimate that one patient out of one million vaccinated individuals is at risk for Guillain Barré syndrome;
You have a higher chance of getting killed in a car wreck. Do you not drive?

News Source said:
According to the packaging information, the swine flu vaccine known as Pandemrix contains - among other things - squalene (not in the US), and polysorbate 80
Squalene is NOT present in the US version of the vaccine.

News Source said:
The latest reported H1N1 vaccine deaths affected a 74 year old heart and lung disease patient as well as a 90 year old patient with an undisclosed health status. The earlier deaths connected to the swine flu affected a female patient of undisclosed age with a history of muscle disease and a 50 year old man with a heart condition. It is neither proven nor disproven that the deaths are due to the swine flu vaccine.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2332570/possible_h1n1_vaccine_deaths_whats.html?cat=5

This article was published in Oct of this year. And I did get the vaccine and have had ZERO negative effects from it.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
Good for you. Me and the rest of the paranoid, government skeptics will take our chances and pass on it.
I'm glad to live in an era where MOST major diseases have been cured through vaccination or can be treated after the fact with anti-virals and antibiotics. I notice very few on here seem skeptical about antibiotics. Yet another technological marvel of the modern era. How many of you guys get tetanus shots? I suppose you probably feel the risks out weight the rewards there too? The government is every bit as involved in all the other medications/vaccines/drugs listed as it is in H1N1.

Heck there are threads on this forum of individuals taking antibiotics made for animals but FDA approved vaccines are out of the question??

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you've suffered no ill side effects after getting your h1n1 vaccine... Yet...

I myself did not get the vaccine, and have had ZERO complications from the h1n1 virus.

I too am glad that I live in a time where we are able to treat/cure most deadly diseases. And I agree with you, that some vaccines have proven themselves to be extremely helpful, and have done great things for humanity. That doesn't mean however that every vaccine is a good vaccine, and it most certainly does not mean that because the government tells you it's good for you, that it is.

I find it ironic how quick you were to label others as non-survivalists because they don't want to get the h1n1 vaccine, but then turn around and express how willing you are to inject/ingest substances into your body that you know very little about, all because the government tells you it's good for you. I'd say that's exactly the opposite of what most survivalists would do. As far as I'm concerned, asking questions, educating yourself, and being skeptical about the things your putting into your body are basics when it comes to ensuring your survival.

Would you still have that warm fuzzy feeling and be so confident in taking that vaccine if you knew that the very vaccine manufacturers that are making h1n1 vaccines right now, were caught very recently distributing large amounts of contaminated/weaponized vaccines that were meant to be given to the general public? Cause it sure as hell makes me question whether I want to be sticking one of their needles in my arm.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
... Honestly- at this point the rate of serious issues (death or serious complications) from EITHER the flu OR the vaccine is pretty low, so as it stands right now, I'd say this whole argument is a moot point. Chances are great that if you get either the virus or the shot- you'll be just fine.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I find it ironic how quick you were to label others as non-survivalists because hey don't want to get the h1n1 vaccine, but then turn around and express how willing you are to inject/ingest substances into your body that you know very little about, all because the government tells you it's good for you. I'd say that's exactly the opposite of what most survivalists would do. As far as I'm concerned, asking questions, educating yourself, and being skeptical about the things your putting into your body are basics when it comes to ensuring your survival.
I could say the same about every vaccine I have ever taken and nearly every medicine I have ever taken. I am not a biochemist nor do I want to be. I have looked at the numbers and well, far more people have died from H1N1 then have died from the vaccine and that's if you can actually show that everyone who died after having been vaccinated did so because of the vaccine which would be a stretch.

I see vaccines and medicines as tools to enable survival. Survival against pandemic. Like I said. All the FEAR mongering appears to me to be just that. Fear mongering. Flu vaccines are nothing new.

At the very least I can avoid worrying about every little symptom I get or any visits to the hospital. Hospital visits aren't much fun nor are they cheap. And while very few have died far more have been hospitalized.

Would you still have that warm fuzzy feeling and be so confident in taking that vaccine if you knew that the very vaccine manufacturers that are making h1n1 vaccines right now, were caught very recently distributing large amounts of contaminated/weaponized vaccines that were meant to be given to the general public?
This kind of mindset seems to be very common in this community.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts