Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hunter and Prepper
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello survival guys and gals, hope everyone is well. Before I begin I just wanna give a huge thank you to the people who posted their advice in my Navy Early-Out Chit post. It does my heart good to know that people care enough to give helpful insight to others well being.

Ok, back to the reason for this post. As a few of you know, chickens (mainly roosters) are not quiet. I have contemplated chickens post SHTF and can only come up with the negative that they are loud. My question is, how do we chicken owners protect our feathered friends from raiders/thiefs should the big collapse happen?

I have talked things over with my roomate and we have considered posting a watch at night time to ensure their safety. Another method was to mainly eat roosters and only have 2-3 on hand for reproduction (to keep the gene pool a lil spread out). Has anyone else come up with some good methods of keeping a low footprint for chickens?? If so, I will take any advice I can get.

Thanks in advance! God bless!

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
1 chicken will make as much noise as 10 chickens. You protect chickens post-shtf the same as pre-shtf. Get a dog and sleep with your gun.

If silence is essential.... eat it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Devoice your roosters? Not sure how tricky/risky it is to do, but if you make a mistake, you just have a tasty dinner :)

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Devoice your roosters? Not sure how tricky/risky it is to do, but if you make a mistake, you just have a tasty dinner :)
Doesn't work. Their crowing mechanism is not really like a voice. You can debark a dog, though.

Back to the OP:

1. You are going to need to keep your roosters down to just a few anyway. One roo to about 10-12 hens is a good ratio. They are going to fight, so you need to keep the ratio good enough that they are distracted from killing one another by their hens.

2. Hens make a lot of noise, too. They put up a terrible fuss if they see something alarming (coyote, possum, suspicious-looking leaf). So not even getting rid of all the roos won't fix everything. In fact it makes your hens louder because they no longer feel someone is looking out for them and they have to be more on the alert. You know, for scary leaves.

3. I'm gonna bet most city people would recognize a rooster's crow, but would have no idea what hen noises are. So maybe if your roos are good roos who only crow once a day or so, you'll be okay. :)

4. But then you can't fault a roo for crowing, it's just what he does. So saying a good roo doesn't crow much is a very prejudiced, anti-rooster thing to say, so I take it back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts