Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not entirely sure where to post this, feel free to move it if desired. Picked this subforum cause of the hiking backpack relation.

I'm working on coming up with a design for a small transport cage (stiff, level floor and support frame so they can stand or sit) for carrying my bantam chickens with me that could be tied and secured to a backpack, because there's no way in hell I'm dragging a plastic cat carrier around if I need to get out of here quickly. I don't want to sacrifice my shoulder for some neon "HEY I'M OVER HERE" box. It needs to be something I won't have to hold onto.

I've got a couple rough designs for it already, but I was curious if anyone knows of a product already in existence that I might adapt for this particular use. Carting really isn't an option. Any info or ideas appreciated. The lighter in weight, the better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much, that was actually the thing I was having the most trouble deciding on - to use small diameter aviary wire or a softer material. I'll see what I can find around next time I can will myself to go down to the city.

Is it pretty durable stuff? I've seen people use it before but haven't mussed with it myself. I'd like to have something pretty tear resistant in case it gets caught at some point. That it could serve other purposes when removed from the frame is an added bonus.

·
V
21,713 Posts
TBH Something I hadnt thought about, and I should have. I reckon if I'm forced to bug out I'd just let them loose depending on situation. If its "cut an run" from people I'd be tempted to loose em, if however I was being forced to evacuate due to some sort of disaster natural or otherwise I'd take em with, boxed and carted if on foot.

Be interested to see what you come up with plz keep us posted. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
chickens you can tie there feet to your bag and do that.. they wont like being upside down but if its to move quick thats an easy thing to do just need some rope or string or you can make small cages wire them together and throw them in strap it to you backpack and go you could strap it to the front of you if your backpack is heavy and it could be a counter blance..

·
Hunter/Farmer
2,010 Posts
My birds are well trained. All I have to do is rattle a can of cracked corn and the little buggers will follow me to hell and back.:D:
Only problem is figuring out how to gag them to make them shut up.:taped:
Maybe some of you with wives can enlighten me.:rofl:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not entirely sure where to post this, feel free to move it if desired. Picked this subforum cause of the hiking backpack relation.

I'm working on coming up with a design for a small transport cage (stiff, level floor and support frame so they can stand or sit) for carrying my bantam chickens with me that could be tied and secured to a backpack, because there's no way in hell I'm dragging a plastic cat carrier around if I need to get out of here quickly. I don't want to sacrifice my shoulder for some neon "HEY I'M OVER HERE" box. It needs to be something I won't have to hold onto.

I've got a couple rough designs for it already, but I was curious if anyone knows of a product already in existence that I might adapt for this particular use. Carting really isn't an option. Any info or ideas appreciated. The lighter in weight, the better.

Maybe you should look to third world pictures for inspiration:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The entire point of this would be to upset them as little as possible, since you know, I kinda like to have my eggs. Pissing them off isn't the best way to keep them laying. They don't projectile crap, so no... lol, getting crapped on won't be an issue when they're being carried on my backpack. Besides, if you were running away from something would you give a damn if you got dookie on your shorts? Seriously. Also keeping them quiet is extremely desirable, so again - freaking them out as little as I can is what I'm shooting for. Putting a cloth over the parts they could see out of would keep them calm. Throwing them in a sack on top of eachother would not. Five wouldn't get along too greatly in that manner. Even if I wasn't running from people, I wouldn't want my location to be known.

Once I get the thing made, I'll be putting some soft dried grasses in it for bedding, so they don't slip around and get anymore freaked out than necessary. This can double as tinder at a later point. The whole thing will be attached and ready to go. Much easier to make it undetected out into the nothing with relatively comfortable and thusly silent birds than to toss them bitching and squawking into a sack I'd wind up having to hold onto.

Bike deal ain't gonna work sir.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I saw some doggie carriers at a pet store, that were like a small cage, but made of flexible material, with mesh windows. One of those, mounted the the platform of a framed hiker's rig, would do it. Pick your size, strap it to the platform and go hiking. Also, some framed packs are built for hauling game out of the woods on your back. Same arrangement.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My birds are well trained. All I have to do is rattle a can of cracked corn and the little buggers will follow me to hell and back.:D:
Only problem is figuring out how to gag them to make them shut up.:taped:
Maybe some of you with wives can enlighten me.:rofl:
Money, coffee, bagel with cream cheese( any food will do), fix the pipe I have been promising to for months, not let her see this site in my browse window, change the oil in the car so the little light thingie goes off, Kiss her on the mouth, fix the computer network.... the list goes on and on and on forever :eek: but it's always something else I need to do after a few minutes. BTW wouldn't suggest kissing your chickens people will look at you funny

·
Registered
497 Posts
If your in a hurry tie them off and kill one for food till you run out your not getting any eggs out them until your in a stable place for a while anyway. The weight of the carry plus the birds and the noise right in near your head. Man I'd kill em on principle after a couple days. Are you sure about bring your chickens in a Bug out situation?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions on materials, I'm gonna go with the laundry bag idea and see how that works out first.

Jericho, do you by chance have any links to a site that sells frames for packs that can be added to a pack that didn't come with one? I tried searching and couldn't find anything useful.

Are you sure about bring your chickens in a Bug out situation?
Yes I am or I wouldn't go to the trouble of all this. For everyone suggesting I eat them, are you aware of what bantams are? They're so tiny that unless you were starving, you'd be better off using your energy to find other sources of food rather than gutting, plucking and building a fire over a single mouthful of meat. Arboreal squirrels are likely to be more of a meal, and I can find those out here with ease.

What I prepare for is not a week of SHTF, I go for the larger picture. I assume things are not going back. So what if you can survive a week outside? What about the after? Killing off a good SUSTAINABLE source of protein and other nutrients (eggs) isn't a bright idea if it can be kept. You would be surprised under what conditions they will still lay, even when they are not used to their surroundings. If I wanted short-term advice on how to get along, that's what I would have asked for. Unless people have something useful pertaining to the original subject to suggest, please don't bother replying. A gaggle of people squealing "CUT THEIR HEADS [email protected]!oneone" doesn't help out with ideas for a small transport cage by any stretch of the imagination. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya dilligaf, the idea isn't to take them on a tour of the country, but to have something to essentially toss them into and go that I wouldn't need to be holding onto. The very rough plan A we have is to head to a general location which is doable within two days of walking time. I just don't want my hands to be raw, my shoulders to be screwed, etc when it could have been prevented by some 'ingenuity' and planning ahead. Of course keeping the item clean would be necessary to avoid the smell and mess - if for no other reason than to lessen our chances of being detected by the stench.

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Heres what I have made up for mine. You might be able to go with a 18x12x12 and strap to your backpack. Of course I plan on hauling mine in the truck bed. I can put 20 of these cages in the bed of the truck. I can haul my 25 chickens and 19 Guineas. Also these are movable pens that I have built.
# 1 Transport cage 36"x 12"x 12"
# 2 A Frame - handles on both ends holds 10 chickens.
# 3 square frame - made with 1x3's 19 Guineas and 7 chickens.
# 4 Chicken condo w/wheels - 1 person can pick up the end opposite of the wheels and walk it where you want to. Holds 8 chickens.

I move the pens every week to a new spot. In a couple of weeks I will plow the garden under and put the pens in the garden to fertilize it for next year.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes I am or I wouldn't go to the trouble of all this. For everyone suggesting I eat them, are you aware of what bantams are? They're so tiny that unless you were starving, you'd be better off using your energy to find other sources of food rather than gutting, plucking and building a fire over a single mouthful of meat. Arboreal squirrels are likely to be more of a meal, and I can find those out here with ease.
I was assume you'd kill a lot more after the first day of them screaming to be let out in your ear and I was wondering over all if they are in fact worth the weight. If there is that little meat the weight might be better put into seeds and planting tools course I don't eat much meat or eggs that could be the difference. I'm more worried about nutrients then calories
What I prepare for is not a week of SHTF, I go for the larger picture. I assume things are not going back. So what if you can survive a week outside? What about the after? Killing off a good SUSTAINABLE source of protein and other nutrients (eggs) isn't a bright idea if it can be kept. You would be surprised under what conditions they will still lay, even when they are not used to their surroundings. If I wanted short-term advice on how to get along, that's what I would have asked for. Unless people have something useful pertaining to the original subject to suggest, please don't bother replying. A gaggle of people squealing "CUT THEIR HEADS [email protected]!oneone" doesn't help out with ideas for a small transport cage by any stretch
of the imagination. Thank you.
Maybe some of us where wondering how to give them feed and water during the travel not to mention your going to stand out having a large wriggling sack on your backpack. Plus since your cutting foraging time for them are you going to bring extra food for them as you'll be traveling all day and only stopping towards night fall. I was assuming you were walking and I didn't know how much you'd like getting pooped on and chickens screaming in your ear after the first hour or so. Personal I was concerned for the long term health of the birds in a cage small enough to fit on your back and ensuring drinking water/food/comfort for the birds during transit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.