Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my chickens is sitting on the ground, in a corner of the chicken house not moving. When I picked her up she threw up on me.

The vomit was running like either mucus or like she had been eating eggs, and smelled like chicken poop.

The hen in question is a 3 year old Rhode Island Red who gets to free range often. The chicken yard currently has 11 chickens in it and is 200 feet long and 100 feet wide. The coop is 16 feet by 16 feet.

At this time none of the other chickens are sick.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Can you flush out her crop? She might be blocked.
That was my first thought as well, blocked crop.

Having a quick look at some vet/med sites, it would seem the most common cause is an infection. Definitely want to get that bird away from the others, and clean up anything she may have left behind.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Sorry if this question is ignorant, but do chickens eat their own eggs? Sort of cannibalizing their own offspring?
This can happen. A cracked egg is tempting.. and you don't want to start a bad habit like this. When we feed back egg shells (calcium) to our girls, we let them dry a bit and break them up.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked on the chicken this morning, all of them looked well and were running around.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Maybe apple cider vinger cures many things look it up first
Vinegar itself does very little to help, the important part is the live bacterial culture found in some types of apple cider vinegar. Yoghurt with live cultures has similar properties -- they can remediate an imbalance in populations of gut flora.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Puking chickens sounds really rough this time of the morning while I'm drinking coffee. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts