Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes ... it's stereotypical that the first recipe I post is Chicken Soup but why not?

Go buy a good pair of kitchen shears that separate on the pivot (yes they are BOB approved as they will cut through any fowl bones and are easy to clean) and a whole chicken. Cut up both sides of the back bone. Then quarter the chicken as the rest of the chicken isn't needed and can be used for something else.

2 backbones and necks of Chicken
2 large onions quartered (don't bother peeling)
1 head of garlic (just cut it in half)
1 lb of carrots (just make sure it's all carrot no greens)
1 head there abouts of celery (yes really it's not rocket science it's cooking)
6 quarts of water

Throw all that in a pot, and get it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, sort of a boil but not as violent.

Let simmer for about 2-3 hours just keep an eye on it, when the bones are in pieces it's pretty much close to done let it go about another half hour.

Remove everything solid with a strainer lined with cheesecloth. (You can wash cheesecloth)

The resulting liquid is what you are going for. Feed the veggies to the family dog ( not the bones pick out the bones) the dog will thank you so much for it, dogs can handle vegetation don't give it to the cat, the cat will get upset and be upset for weeks on end.

After you've got the stock.

Chop a small onion
1 - 2 Carrots sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1 - 2 stalks of celery, same slice
1 - 2 breasts of chicken cubed
2-3 Tablespoons Chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste
a Parsnip and or a Turnip if you like such things cubed
Some rice or noodles which ever or both if you like.
The entire amount of stock that you just made.
Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat the onion in a bald pan till translucent, add all but the rice and or noodles. Cook until the chicken is white all the way through add the rice and or noodles and cook to the package's directions.

This soup freezes WONDERFULLY, very nutritious and will help ya fight the flu :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chix stock variation and concentration method

Brown the chicken bones and veggies in the oven first, then do what the OP says but simmer it for up to 24 hours, adding water if necessary.
Then strain through cheeesecloth, etc.
Refrigerate then remove all the fat that has congealed on top.
Put this liquid back in a pot and boil it until it reduces to a syrup. Put the syrup in ice cube trays and freeze. You now have a highly concentrated, entirely healthy base for soups, stocks and sauces. I used to use this in restaurants when I was a chef. Even on its own, with a little salt, it makes a great fat free sauce for chicken and other meats.
I'd love to know if it could be dehydrated.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Here's my easy chicken stock method:

Buy a whole rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.

Eat said chicken.

Take leftover chicken - bones, carcass, bits of meat and skin and all, cover with water and bring to a boil in a stock pot.

Put in diced onions, celery, carrots and perhaps a few sprigs of fresh Rosemary or Thyme. The veggies can be cut in large pieces.

Bring to simmer (covered) for several hours.

Strain out everything except the liquid.

Divide the stock into small freezer containers.

Use frozen stock as the base for soups, stews, etc.

I usually get about 2+ gallons of high quality chicken stock this way. The used chicken carcass doesn't go to waste and your stretch your dollar.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,309 Posts
I'd love to know if it could be dehydrated.
You'd end up with something with the consistency of a fruit roll-up. Just guessing it would have to be freeze dried.

I just wonder if after it is dehydrated if one could run it through a blender or food processor and really pulverize it and then run it through the dehydrator again if you could achieve a granular product.

·
Registered
201 Posts
CW, I have done that process with tomato sauces (dry, then pulverize) and I call itmy 'tomato boullion'.
I've had super results using my coffee bean grinder thingy.
Plan to use it as an occasional flavor (not to mention vitamin) boost.
Would think it would work for just about any other liquid desired.
Just make sure it's VERY CRISPY DRY before pulverizing, is all.
I store it in jars with a dessicant packet.
So far, so good.

Darn, y'all are making me HUNGRY !! :upsidedown:

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Some good ideas here.

I cooked a bird today and at the last minute with no preparation or planning I decided to make stock.

I put the carcass, half a leftover red onion, 2 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, bay leaves, parsley, and salt n pepper in a stock pot with water. Brought it to a boil and now it's simmering.

I'm interested in other peoples methods too. Thanks :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts