Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dyin aint much of a livin
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few minutes ago, I went out to give my hens fresh water and I found an egg outside on the ground. Is this a discarded egg that I should throw away? Or is it just fine, she just couldn't make it to the toilet (so to speak)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends on how old it is. I let my hens run around the yard during the day and its not uncommon to find an egg or 2 in weird places. If you didnt see it there the previous day i think it would be ok to consume

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you allow your chickens free rein (or range), they'll lay eggs wherever it's convenient for them.

Was the egg there yesterday? If not, it should be just as good as an egg laid in a nest.

If you're concerned about the egg, crack it in a separate dish from any other eggs when you go to eat it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
When a hen lays for the first time or two, it's not in common for them to be suprised by it & it just kinda drops out wherever they're standing.

I only let them out in the later part of the day to free range so they usually have all their egg laying done & I don't have to look all over the yard for eggs. Also there is less time for predators to zero in on the girls if they're only loose an hour or two & the yard doesn't get so ripped apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts