Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
I don't know, that seems like an awful lot just to pluck a chicken. I just skin 'em like a rabbit. Feathers comes off with the skin. No fuss, no mess.
You cant make a good chicken stock without the skin on the chicken....thats where all the fat is. Believe it or not you need the fat in a longterm survival situation.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You cant make a good chicken stock without the skin on the chicken....thats where all the fat is. Believe it or not you need the fat in a longterm survival situation.
Also, in a long term survival situation I'm sure this chicken plucker would be of little use as it takes a lot of energy to operate. In that scenario the old fashioned plucking the feathers by hand will be useful. This contraption would only be cost effective if one is plucking hundreds of chickens. I am with you though in that keeping the skin on is important--and adds taste too :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Not sure but I think with the right combination of gears, it could be hooked up to a stationary bicycle and be effective. Chicken plucking services could be what you use for barter. You will need something.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Well actually, the fat is under the skin, attached to the muscle & joints, but the meat, bones and cartilage provide a good stock, too. Anyway, the trade off is, I don't have to scald and pluck.

·
Your jujitsu is no good
177 Posts
You can also dip your chickens in melted paraffin wax, let them cool then peel the wax and feathers off works great if you have several to pluck.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,455 Posts
Well actually, the fat is under the skin, attached to the muscle & joints, but the meat, bones and cartilage provide a good stock, too. Anyway, the trade off is, I don't have to scald and pluck.
That's how I see it too. I'm lazy and skin all birds. I have looked into those pluckers before though and would love to come up with an alternative method of powering one. I can see a lot of use for one around a homestead.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Yeh, plucking is the only way imo if at all possible.
You loose a lot of flavour, nutrients and it cooks differently without it- a whole lot of waste.

I will research those machines further, for first video looks a little violent- wouldn't it break some bones?
The second one looks more friendly.
You will still have the problem with the tough wing feathers though surely...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts