Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and I must be missing it. The how many chicken thread made me wonder if there are any "free" chicken coop plans on here?
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are a lot of good plans on the net if you search for chicken coop plans. Also try chicken tractors. I have built a couple and the last one I like the best. Use small wood. 1/4 plywood, 1x1, 1x2. I added wheels to the back of mine to help in moving. ust make sure to raise the bottom of the coop a few inches or when you move you will be just pushing dirt...lol. Trust me. The chickens don't get out. Also I big hen house is not needed. I built a manson at first and the second design I made it half as small. i have 2 RIR and 2 barred rocks one a big rooster and they fit in their with plenty of room. Just think light. i also made it kind of tall 5 1/2 ft high so we can get in there. I used an extra 1x1 and slid it in the bars for them to fly up too and they really enjoy it. Espeacilly the hens when they want to get away from the rooster. he can not get up to it. To big..lol

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Heres my coop.

Laying boxes accessible from the outside so I don't have to get my feet dirty collecting the eggs and it's less disturbing to the hens. Doors to pen only half width, that way when you open them the chickens can't run out and the dog cannot run in, plus they are lighter and easier on the hinges than full size doors. Ramp coming down from nesting boxes eliminates the red blood spot (hemmorage) in egg yolks that sometimes happens if the jump down. 110 power for lights to promote better laying when days get shorter plus to power the electric fence to discourage predators. (not needed so far)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try going to www.backyardchickens.com and search for sticks or sticks22. I have a coop made from old 3/4 in water pipe and some hog panels. I raise chickens too!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=78178

I found the pictures of your coop! That's great! Thanks for sharing and I am sure I will learn a lot in the Coop and Run Design posts!
Thanks again!

Now if I can just get my husband motivated!

He likes to tinker in the garage in the winter so a coop for me would be great for him!

Have a blessed day

·
Banned
742 Posts
Here's my kick ass chicken coop with an automatic door that runs on batteries and is triggered by a photocell. Sun comes up: door opens and chickens free range. Sun goes down: door shuts and the roosting chickens are safe for the night. Yes, I'm stupid about these projects. But it works for me.

Daytime:

The Graveyard Shift:

The Interior Accomodations:

Large, Wooly Chickens:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Stoneunhenged. How much did that coop cost you to build minus the fancy automated door? I'll be getting chickens at the retreat in the spring so I gotta get a coop built before then.

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
I built a chicken coop out of an old 8x14 winabago camper floor was shot and roof has always leaked threw a tarp on the top and some plywood on the floor put some roosts in etc and walla chicken coop. However I have to build a new one gets to cold in there and my rooster gets frostbite on his comb. Also had to many windows and with my yard light they were getting to much light so started pecking each other fixed it by spray painting some of the windows red "red light supposedly doesn't cause them to peck"

When I build my new one its going to be lower only tall enough to walk in crouched down to decrease the air area so that it will stay warmer and the heat will stay down closer to the chickens when there on there roosts. I am also hopeing to make it in a couple sections or something with no floor so I can take it apart and move it once in a while so its super easy to clean. Will just put straw down and spread it out after I move it.

Plan to make it so you never have to go inside with doors to get to feeder eggs etc however there's always that 1 chicken that decides it would be fun to hide the eggs somewhere other than in the nesting boxes.

btw chickens can carry there eggs from a hidden location and then pile them in there nest box and decide to sit on them go in 1 day no eggs in nests next dag 23 all in 1 nest and hen sitting on them "max eggs they have ever layed in a day is 6" They were storing them..... swear one day I'm gonna put a security camera in there. To see where there hiding them.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Thanks. I actually have two of those coops, each one in a separate pasture. When I run cattle through, the birds follow behind and scratch apart the cow patties so they can eat the undigested seed and any maggots that have formed. (Yum!) That way the cow patties don't smother the grass and the birds are essentially a little army that spreads the manure for me.

I'm thinking about writing a book: Farming for Lazy Bastards

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks. I actually have two of those coops, each one in a separate pasture. When I run cattle through, the birds follow behind and scratch apart the cow patties so they can eat the undigested seed and any maggots that have formed. (Yum!) That way the cow patties don't smother the grass and the birds are essentially a little army that spreads the manure for me.

I'm thinking about writing a book: Farming for Lazy Bastards
With a title like that, I think your writing directly to me!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts