Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to look at one of my Dominickers last weekend. So I caught one in the chicken house, was looking at it, when it bit me.

This thing latched on and would not let go.

The bite was not painful. More to the point this girl is not going to put up with any crap.

Of course my wife took a picture.

My wife and I have 2 chicken yards. One yard is going to be for breeding and new chickens, while the other yard is much larger and used to house the man flock.

I figure by the end of November the Dominickers and Barred Rocks can go to the main chicken yard. The new Dominickers and Barred Rocks are 3 months old. At the end of November they will be almost 4 months old. I would like to get them into the new chicken house before they start laying.

Attachments

·
Member Schmember
309 Posts
Happens to me all the time :( I wear gloves whenever I have to pick them up in the chickenhouse. It's not that it hurts really, like you say, I just don't like them being so damn aggressive. The rooster went on a full assault against me this weekend when I was collecting eggs. It's not like other animals I handle, like cows or horses or dogs. They always have some respect for the hand that feeds them, even the meanest ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wait until she go all broody on you. The bites get worse especially if you are "stealing" her eggs.
Hummm...have had Dominickers and Barred Rocks (and Black Australorps) for years and have never had one go broody. HOWEVER, my White Orpingtons go broody with great regularity.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
We have a rescued Banty rooster that believes he owns the yard, (I keep telling him he's a hawk decoy he doesn't listen) about once a week he tries to flog the first person that comes out the door. We named him "Punt"
His pluses out way his minuses
Our one broody barred rock hen is vicious when she is sitting a clutch.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
My rooster got me once.

It was my own fault: I picked up a hen that had gotten tangled in string, intending to free her, and she let out a frightened squawk! So he sprang to her defense! That sucker drew blood, too!

Never trust the herd sire, even if it is a chicken. They get DEFENSIVE of their ladies, even if the danger is non-existant!

·
You're a daisy if ya do
2,035 Posts
I had a pet rooster given to me by my uncle when I was a kid. One Saturday while my Dad was feeding his dogs, it decided to ambush him from behind. It was a well planned ambush. He caught Pop right in the afterburner, ripped his pants and drew blood. We had roasted chicken for Sunday dinner.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
My wife rescued a rhode island red rooster and it was our house guest over night. You haven't lived until you experience a 30 minute duet between a rooster and a hoot owl at 3 am. COCK A DOODLE DOO, WHO WHO, (I said) COCK A DOODLE DOO. He must of lost the conversation because he and I had a stand off in the hall and the cranky critter attacked my legs.

He is living the life of riley now at a great animal sanctuary, Noah's Ark. Sure beats the dumpster behind a restaurant he had been at for at least a month before the wife had my boys chase him down.

http://www.noahs-ark.org/

·
Registered
495 Posts
My wife rescued a rhode island red rooster and it was our house guest over night. You haven't lived until you experience a 30 minute duet between a rooster and a hoot owl at 3 am. COCK A DOODLE DOO, WHO WHO, (I said) COCK A DOODLE DOO. He must of lost the conversation because he and I had a stand off in the hall and the cranky critter attacked my legs.

He is living the life of riley now at a great animal sanctuary, Noah's Ark. Sure beats the dumpster behind a restaurant he had been at for at least a month before the wife had my boys chase him down.

http://www.noahs-ark.org/
Did you actually "rescue" the rooster? It doesn't sound to me like he was in any distress. I'd bet he was eating well from restaurant scraps. Probably belonged to a neighbor of the restaurant. Sounds more like you STOLE the rooster.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
I used to have a very aggressive RIR rooster.
He would half run, half fly across the entire pen to attack me when I entered.
I was always good to the bird, and he was never aggressive until one day he just was.

After about a month of this, I finally found out what calmed him down.
I lightly breaded him and fried him up in a cast iron skillet.
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do! :D:

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
My mother-in-law had some mean roosters. Let me tell you, if you got flogged, she would just smile. But, if she got flogged/attacked by one, we had chicken & dumplings on Sunday.

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
Some times I just sit in the pen with the birds and after a while that is competition over sitting in my lap or on my shoulders.
The rooster doesn't care , he accepts me for what it's worth, and never been aggressive to me at all.
In fact in the morning when I feed them , as I leave the rooster gives a cluck song and I say "your welcome".
We do this almost every time.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
My dog testing rooster caused an abrasion on the web of hand from a peck when I was trying to change his water. I and the dogs have since taught him some manners. When outside he started to flutter his wings and challenge me. A few pulled kicks and then hitting gently with a foot stool started him on the road to humility. Then the dogs caught him in their doghouse and in bulldog fashion beat him up holding him by his wing. He does not have ears so they used his wings and he lost a few feathers. He has not even crowed for a while. I have only $5 invested directly in him, but over the year so I have had him he may have eaten 20 dollars of feed. The dogs also eat his feed and also his poop is highly valued and savored by the dogs.

·
Bad Guy Target
1,455 Posts
I had two vicious Bantam roosters. One was an Old English, light blue in color. He had the disposition of a warmed up rattlesnake. I used to fight him against other birds, he never backed down. My other one was a Phoenix. They are not good fighting birds, they have very long tails which often get weighted down with chicken poop. He still spurred me in the head once and I was bleeding all over my jacket. I think my dad decided to see if the rooster could breathe underwater after that.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Had about 100 hens and one rooster at one point. He got all cocky and came after me one day when I was disposing of some groundhogs. CCI Stingers work just as well on roosters as they do on whistle pigs. Only chicken that ever gave me problems. Now, turkeys, on the other hand...

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
There was this junkyard in Brooklyn years ago that didn't have the traditional guard dog... they had these white guinea hens. I mean they were born white, but were more of a grey-to-black from living in the 'yard. Far nastier than any guard dog. You'd walk in the gate and all of a sudden there would be 6 or 8 of them waiting to greet you.

My uncle raised chickens for many years and sold eggs. Every so often he'd wind up with a chicken that was very difficult. There was another man close by who also raised chickens and they'd trade the difficult ones back and forth. Sometimes a change of scenery did the trick. If not, that chicken won the roaster of the week award.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Did you actually "rescue" the rooster? It doesn't sound to me like he was in any distress. I'd bet he was eating well from restaurant scraps. Probably belonged to a neighbor of the restaurant. Sounds more like you STOLE the rooster.
Geeez I never thought I'd live to the day to be called a chicken rustler. The case of his residing at the dumpster was a mystery. Located in a tony suburb with nary a chicken coop for miles around. Wife had seen it multiple times over a month period. Folks working in the restaurant verified said rooster had been a vagrant for at least six weeks. While there might be some validity to your theory he was living the good life on thrown out french cuisine I don't think out in the open playing come hither with stray hounds and ***** is living at ease. Especially since he had a gimpy leg to boot. He looked a bit ragged and had a good appetite for canned corn.

Pffff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts