Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago screws are a little piece of gear that I think everyone should have or at least be aware of. They are also called screw posts. You can see plenty of types on Google images.

They are used for book binding, saddlery, holsters, belts, and all kinds of things. They just screw together so they are great for temporary testing or something that needs to be adjustable. I keep some in my sewing kit for mending busted straps; just poke enough of a hole to get a couple through and screw them together.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Great post! I didn't know that they were called Chicago Screws. I've used them before, and they work quite well. a dab of loctite on the threads, and they are great for semi-permanent use

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
i have a project i was thinking about this morning. im going to make a sling for my M1carbine and those will work perfect.

thanks for the info

T

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can get them at ACE hardware in different lengths. They call them "binding post". I use them as rivets in my Saiga conversions. The brass ones for leather can be found with the tack at Tractor Supply.

·
antisocialbutterfly
85 Posts
Hah! That's what they're called!!!

I picked up a handful of various sizes from an arts supply store sometime back, and it's good to know they're available at hardware stores- I'll look for more soon, and if I can't find them, now I know what to ask for.

Thanks a million!

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
So what would you use them for in a survival scenario?

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Thanks for that!
I had a few MANY years ago, and had been trying to find them (without knowing what they are called) to bind 3-hole punched papers (reports and such).
Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts