Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Wilderness Surveyor
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Shameless promotion following. I love the Hill People Gear chest rigs. Ive had mine for about 4 years now and it has been dragged through caves, rock climbing, and is my EDC for trail runs and wilderness hiking. This thing is nearly indestructible and they have several other sizes and options

Who else wears these rare but useful items? What do you carry in them?

Images of my set up are attached.

Attachments

·
Wilderness Surveyor
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive been looking at getting one .
They can be a little pricey, mine is a mid-range size for about $90.
But it has probably over 2000 miles of rugged use and will most likely last another couple thousand miles more.

Make sure to wash it every so often so it doesn't get caked it salt from sweat!

It even has a small 2mm spot where I cut into the fabric with a cross-draw knife several times. Even with this cut fabric spot it holds up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
They make a nice fanny pack aka military-butt-pack
As you have it loaded, per the picture, does it cause any forward imbalance?????

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,555 Posts
Hey all,

Shameless promotion following. I love the Hill People Gear chest rigs. Ive had mine for about 4 years now and it has been dragged through caves, rock climbing, and is my EDC for trail runs and wilderness hiking. This thing is nearly indestructible and they have several other sizes and options

Who else wears these rare but useful items? What do you carry in them?

Images of my set up are attached.
I like it and not sure if much more could be added. I suppose it is better to have a chest rig / pack than a backpack sometimes especially in a cave?

There is what looks like a cave but it is really a horizontal mine going into a mountain side by a lake about 3 miles from my mtn place. I always wanted to go into it but not alone since likely it is a bit dangerous. I likely never will go into it since No one seems to want to do any of my adventures since 2014.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,527 Posts
I have one just like yours and use it when hiking. Really handy that I can carry my G43x in it and have access, but it doesn't get in the way of pack straps. I can pull my pack off without taking off the chest pouch or just wear the pouch by itself. And yes, Hill People Gear makes quality equipment.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
WHEN I want to go "light" I have an old tac vest body armor carrier without the armor. Lots of pockets and velcro so that you can add or subtract pockets or pouches for the need
and
because it is a full vest all the weight is distributed on the shoulders and not on straps.

The vest itself is fairly light and it works out fairly well.

·
Wilderness Surveyor
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They make a nice fanny pack aka military-butt-pack
As you have it loaded, per the picture, does it cause any forward imbalance?????
A little bit. And that does take some getting use to. It helps to be mindful of how heavy it feels and adjust as necessary. I've had it heavier (around 10-12#) before for longer hikes, but I wouldn't want to keep it loaded that way forever unless I was use to it.

It does help with counterbalancing a backpack though...

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
They can be a little pricey, mine is a mid-range size for about $90.
But it has probably over 2000 miles of rugged use and will most likely last another couple thousand miles more.

Make sure to wash it every so often so it doesn't get caked it salt from sweat!

It even has a small 2mm spot where I cut into the fabric with a cross-draw knife several times. Even with this cut fabric spot it holds up perfectly.
Yeah I know how much they are. Its on the back burner for now as still getting some more food in case this corona virus takes off.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Count me in:D: Good god man! I've using a Kit Bag for over a decade (yeah, still have one of their original bags) and have about a half dozen now. I really prefer their "Original Snubby" for backpacking, but have used all of them. I'm an HPG Kit Bag whore...not ashamed at all.

I was originally looking for a CCW platform I could use on distance hikes, and I've tried fanny packs, the SafePacker, the RIBZ...a lot of different hiking platforms, but the Kit Bag has simply been the best option for me. Not only backpacking, but kayaking, fly fishing, rock climbing, and mountain biking.

Are they expensive for what they are? Sure, but there are very few competitors on the market that do what the Kit Bag does so well. And they are well built and hold up to the 2500+hiking miles, not to mention the hundreds of mountain biking miles and hours in a kayak or fishing a mountain stream. I've done my share of experimentation and this is the winning result.

A nice feature is that it can be worn as a stand-alone. The Kit Bag will stay with you if you dump or have to jettison your pack. I can (and practice) draw extremely fast, even with trekking poles. They keep your handgun secure even without a trigger guard/holster and I've proven that with a few spills from the mountain bike:D:

I like Kit Bags so much that I'm using a few different micro chest rigs for my tactical training classes (Spiritus and Haley) and I'm going to try the Heavy Recon on the next class:D:

ROCK6

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 5.11 tac-tec chest rig. I have used it for a mag carrier in a couple of training classes. I like it a lot and I can certainly see using it for other purposes.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
I've got a Hill People Gear runners kit bag in grey ripstop. I only use it on long wilderness hikes. I don't want to be that tacticool loser wearing it in a suburban public park.

·
Fenced In
3,265 Posts
I have the "original" HPG Kit Bag. I've been wearing that on hiking/backpacking trips for years, carrying a concealed handgun, spare mag, water filtration straw, survival blanket, poncho, essential first aid supplies . . . you get the idea. Basically, everything I would need to survive an unanticipated night in the wilderness. I bought mine used, and have no concerns about its durability. Couldn't be happier with it.

·
452 Posts
Not a chest rig. But if it works for you then fine. Just looks like a large fanny pack.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
I have the same one the OP has. It's an excellent product. My only gripe is that it losens up a bit and I have to repeatedly retighten the straps. If anyone has a solution to keep them in place better I'd love to hear suggestions.

I carry the usual, gun, magazine, copy of IDs in a ziplock bag, keys, phone, wallet, knife, music player...

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I have the same one the OP has. It's an excellent product. My only gripe is that it losens up a bit and I have to repeatedly retighten the straps. If anyone has a solution to keep them in place better I'd love to hear suggestions.

I carry the usual, gun, magazine, copy of IDs in a ziplock bag, keys, phone, wallet, knife, music player...
Duct tape the straps

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I have the same one as the OP and love it. They are definitely overpriced but you'll get your money worth in the long run. It's great on day hike and invaluable when backpacking. I carry a firearm in mine and didn't want to pay the ridiculous price they wanted for a kydex holder so I went on YouTube and learned how to make one. It works great. I think I may have even made a thread about it many moons ago.

Contents: Weapon, mag, flashlight, small FAK, snacks, keys wallet, pen, maps, water filter.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts