Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the last camping trip, Shonuff did something that impressed me. He took a chem light and hung it under the canopy covering his hammock. Bugs started coming around the light, so Shonuff threw the chem light on the ground a few feet from his hammock.

This chem light provided some real psychological comfort. At 3am, when the camp fire died down, and I was too tired to throw some more wood on it, this chem light was a beacon in the darkness.

Next time I go camping, after the sun has gone down I am going to take that chem light and either hang it from a tree, or just throw it on the ground.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
That's pretty smart, that's why I never thought of it. lol

I'll have to do that myself next time I'm out in the woods.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Those are real handy items.
Besides camping, I keep a couple in my vehicles and in the nightstands, by the bed.
Years ago, when I was even dumber, I used them as markers, when I went into caves.
They do seem to have a short shelf life, when kept in a hot vehicle for a period of time.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,952 Posts
I tape them to the tip of my surfrods at night so I can see when I get a hit.
Good for tent camping in the summer,...no heat.
I wonder if the orange ones would draw less bugs?

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
I had to fight ti find the clear/white ones. You see alot of red and green ones but the yellow and white ones seem to put out more light. Ofcoarse they say red will not attract insects so you have to weigh your options.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I hang one on a bush if I'm fishing off shore during the night.Its a lot easier coming in if you know precisely where you left.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always use them when we go camping. Inside the tent it makes a nice little night light. And once, we went camping with a group of people, all 7 families had the same tent!! We put one on the outside of the tent so we could find our tent in the dark, and so we knew we had the right tent!

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I don't do much night horn-pouting (catfish), but a friend that does says he throws one in the water just off shore, or dangles one under water off his boat, and it draws the cats in like you wouldn't believe (so he says). I know that a lantern off your boat works, so I imagine this would.

The Bum

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I go camping I get those solar powered lights you put in the driveway (minus the stake) and hang it from a tree to give some light during the night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts