Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience making arrows from wooden dowel rods from...Lowes or Home Depot? I have a 50# recurve bow...What diameter and what kind of wood should I get?

Any input would be helpful! :thumb:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Spend a day or so searching here: http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM
Everything in the world of archery has been covered at this site for years. And, I mean everything! :thumb:
As far as using the dowels found at Lowe's for arrows, I'm not too sure you'll be happy with them. There's the matter of an arrow's "spine" and other such factors to consider.
All of this is covered at the Leatherwall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
making arrows

While I dont suggest that anyone use a improvised arrow in a production made bow, but it can be done. Wooden dowels are a bad idea and the reason is that they catch fire very easily and never start out correct spine. And I found best way to get correct spine needed is to start with very green and flexiable canes. (Crape Myrtles and Bamboo work well) Roll them through flames of a fire never allowing them to singe or catch fire, this will remove water, take your time here as the spine will stiffen and you need to control this variable. arrowhead is another topic all together so is vains you need an arrow to spin in flight. any other questions feel free to ask

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
When I was a kid at Cherry Point, NC, we fashioned our arrows (and our bows, incidentally) out of bamboo.

Just found a straight stalk, used a sharks tooth as an arrowhead, and tied/taped/glued some arrows to the back of it.

We never shot anything living with 'em, but we used to stick those arrows into trees all day from 20-50yards. :thumb:

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
I can make a dang good arrow with River Cane, smaller version of bamboo. Use a goose feather for fletchings, and your choice of tip.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
You'll waste time and money.
Just buy some good arrows that will last you a long time.
Unless you miss a lot?
You can get arrows that accept different points.
If you want cheap, get target arrows from Walmart.

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts
Ramin wood.. The wood most dowel rod are made from.. Is (IMHO) only good for bows up to bout 30-35lbs.. Like those above me, I would suggest bamboo!I have made arrows out of dowel rods before.. For my sons PVC bow. 30lbs draw. They worked But wouldn't trust them for anything stronger.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Does anyone have any experience making arrows from wooden dowel rods
Ramin wood is a common arrow material in the rest of the world. You can buy them by the hundreds on Ebay etc. Just take your time and pick the straight grain ones.

rich

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,961 Posts
I have found that young poplar is good for a quick and easy arrow. Now notice the word quick, it doesn't mean they are the best, it just means that they will do in a pinch if find yourself needing arrows. As for the heads, I use bits of thinner plate steel. The head doesn't have to be huge if your only hunting small/med-small game with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts