Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a little maintenance on my Mossberg 590 this weekend. When I took off the heatshield, I noticed a little rust on the underside of the heatshield.

Luckily, the rust did not spread to the barrel. The rust looks like it came from the blueing salts used when it was made.

So I now have a shieldless shotgun. Also removed the side saddle shell holder. The shotgun doesn't look so taticool now, but it feels quite a bit lighter and better balanced.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Gunoil.

Taticool is overrated in my book. I really dislike sidesaddles and some of that other junk, I prefer my gun stock.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
... Also removed the side saddle shell holder. The shotgun doesn't look so taticool now, but it feels quite a bit lighter and better balanced.
The side saddle seems like a good idea, just to lazy to purchase one. Due to the mounting location, I don't think the extra shell weight would make much difference. Am I wrong?

It seems a convienent idea to pick up one gun, and having a few extra rounds taking a free ride.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
So I now have a shieldless shotgun.

Word of the wise from a man that has been there and had the blisters to show for it. With the style of forarm that the Mossburg uses can burn ones finger tips is you get in to a situation of firing once or twice in 5 or 10 minutes. But when it comes to pratice and rapid fire. If you got big hands your finger tips can contact the barrel and before you know it you 've burned yourself.

So you have two options change the forarm with a differant style (Not too expensive, but more than you "need" to spend now) or you could reinstall the shield at no cost.

I ended up with the first option for I came across a new "take off" set from the local gun shop. I couldn't beat with a stick, so I bought it.

But either way just a warning to save your fingers.:thumb:

Rifleman 336

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Word of the wise from a man that has been there and had the blisters to show for it. ...
But either way just a warning to save your fingers.:thumb:
WOW!

I just picked up my two shotguns, the Win 1300 Defender, and Mossberg 500 pistol grip (with heat shield).

I disagree that there is much difference in forearm stock.

However, the base stock creates a SIGNIFICANT change in forearm human geometry. With the heatsheild, my meat fingers and thumb WOULD touch the barrel on the pistol gripped Mossberg. This was never a problem with the Winchester, so your post made me question what was going on.

THANKS!

I'm keeping the heavy heatshield on the Mossberg. And, I don't feel any less TatiCOOL with carrying around the Winchester when it suits the needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts