Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
There's nothing new about the Vepr. Robinson Arms used to import them over a decade ago. But they had problems with the factory not shipping them, so they either dropped the line, or the factory themselves stopped sending them.

Maybe the 7.62x54R offering is new though. I only remember the 7.62x39, .223 and .308 (drool!) ones. I looked unsuccesfully for two years trying to buy a Super Vepr in .308.

Either way, they're some of the very best AKs ever made. And definately some of the most accurate. I remember seeing targets that Robinson Arms had posted. The things are almost match grade!

·
Bear Magnet
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike. No I never saw a 7.62x54 Vepr either. This is an entirely new rifle. Any bets on how long it will take American manufacturers to begin offering synthetic stocks, higher capacity magazines and other accessories for this gun?:D:

·
Registered
913 Posts
There's nothing new about the Vepr. Robinson Arms used to import them over a decade ago. But they had problems with the factory not shipping them, so they either dropped the line, or the factory themselves stopped sending them.
Actually Alex stiffed them with a several hundred thousand dollar bill. I got the straight from the factory rep at SHOT in FL a few years ago. That is why they lost the import contract.

This looks like it has potential. But a 5rd mag? Can't we at least get a 10rd and poly furniture? Pretty please!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
Actually Alex stiffed them with a several hundred thousand dollar bill. I got the straight from the factory rep at SHOT in FL a few years ago. That is why they lost the import contract.

This looks like it has potential. But a 5rd mag? Can't we at least get a 10rd and poly furniture? Pretty please!
I never had the whole story. I remember a few Veprs trickling out into the market and the owners absolutely loved them. Then RA couldn't get anymore inventory, or was just getting a piece or two now and then or something. If I remember right, they blamed it on the factory.

I hope they make it back to the market. But I get they'll be three times the price if they do. Back then, the price wasn't bad for what you got.

I'm surprised it took this long for the line to make it back to the market. They would have made a fortune by now, as busy as the high end AK market has been in the last decade. I guess that's why I was tempted to believe the problem was with the factory.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:D:http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-VEPR-54R.aspx

This is a brand spanking new product improved Russian Dragunov. These are quite probably superior in accuracy to the original military issue dragunov.
These are 7.62x54 guys!:D:
I don't know who told you they were more accurate than a SVD, but they are mistaken. The SVD's accuracy comes from a number of design changes from the AK, it's actually nothing like an AK except in appearance. The SVD was built from the ground up to be an accurate rifle. The SVD using match ammo is capable of sub-MOA accuracy.

The VEPR's are nice, but they're in essence a RPK. They're very nicely made, probably among the nicest built factory AK type rifles, but they're not anything like a real SVD. The biggest hindrance to accuracy in the AK is the gas system and barrel, both of which are addressed in the SVD.

·
Bear Magnet
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys can beat me up all you want. I do not EVER remember seeing a gas operated rifle other than the Russian SVD dragunov or Romanian PSL chambered for 7.62x54. Belt feds? Plenty. :(

The beauty of this rifle, to me at least, is the relativly cheap and plentiful ammo. :thumb:

I know the VEPRs have been around with a sterling reputation for quite some time but not in this caliber.:D:

I like it. I may even get one.:D:

After all. We have NO restrictions here.:D:

Welcome to Wyoming.:D:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts