Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bravo 36
372 Posts
Hey guys, I found this link on another site. It's to a one-of-a-kind house with a bomb shelter in the basement! Just click here to see what I'm talking about. When you're there, just click on "Subterranean Fortress" and see what I mean.

SgtPepper

How much of this is legal. What I mean, did they get permits. If I buy the house and the it was built without the permits. They can order you to fill it in. Be careful...

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
How much of this is legal. What I mean, did they get permits. If I buy the house and the it was built without the permits. They can order you to fill it in. Be careful...
It depends upon the jurisdiction but usually you can do a lot of work if not all of it without permits if you do it yourself. In my place I remodeled, rewired, took out a wall, put in exterior doors et cetera with out any permits because I did the work myself and did not hire any licensed contractors.

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
I wonder how many people knew about it before they decided to sell it & if you could get a bank to finance it since the work likely had no permits. Still, it's very cool.
VW

·
Mountain Man
55 Posts
Quote from the web site ad

"Since Kenley began his building of the Fortress, everything has passed inspection and is fully permited space."

The text in the ad said that the owner/builder passed away. That is probably why it's being sold.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I saw an episode about this house on HGTV a few years ago. It was on one of the extreme home shows. The current home owners remodeled the rooms above ground and decorated the bunker area. The new home owner is a little husky and had a hard time fitting through some of the openings from room to room. It was an interesting show.

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
That is a very very cool house. I imagine it would be excellent fun for kids growing up in that house with all of the secret passageways and hidden doors. Not to mention the incredible potential of having something like that under your kitchen floor...

·
Ready To Go At Any Time
646 Posts
Dude. I have a 100 year old house with a tiny cellar.
I've been thinking for 2 years about getting down there and actually digging out a worthwhile basement area, and another subfloor area that would be like a "secret stash" area for SHTF.
Wish I could find some folks to help me dig that crap out. It'd be bucket by bucket so you'd need 4 or 5 people doing an assembly line type process.
I wanna do it soooooo bad

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dude. I have a 100 year old house with a tiny cellar.
I've been thinking for 2 years about getting down there and actually digging out a worthwhile basement area, and another subfloor area that would be like a "secret stash" area for SHTF.
Wish I could find some folks to help me dig that crap out. It'd be bucket by bucket so you'd need 4 or 5 people doing an assembly line type process.
I wanna do it soooooo bad
A small conveyer belt would do the work of the bucket brigade. Small simple conveyor belts can be homemade or you could check the construction auctions or maybe tool rental places to buy or rent one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Think more utilitarian than just SHTF - basements are perfect for wine storage, as well as bulk foodstuffs. You can save a whole stack of money by having a good basement storage set-up. Heck, you could even get into wine speculation if the humidity and temperature are constant - there's a LOT of money to be made there, regardless of how the economy is doing.

You could just have a safe retreat, but my point is that you should make the area work for you. Excavation work will not be cheap so you should make the resulting space work for you paying you back now - in addition to the 'peace of mind' aspect for a theoretical future event.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts