Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What do you want to cook/eat? Dry goods covers a lot of territory. Whole grain, too. Wheat, rice, or rye?

You can get large bags of rice at Asian food markets or Costco. I believe the same's true of beans. Watch the prices on bulk food if you find some locally; in my local grocery store, as an example, rolled oats are $1 a pound; just got some Quaker Quick Oats in 3 lb. boxes for $1.50 elsewhere, which works out to half the price [and yes, I did buy more than 1 box].

Lentils and split peas on sale [for the small amounts I'd put by are 79 cents for a 1 lb. bag, about $1.20/lb. bulk. I find the prices for 1 lb bags are comparable with the larger quantities available elsewhere, believe it or not, and I don't have to pay freight.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Browser Cat has a very good point. What do you eat? Don't buy what you do not eat. You will need to rotate your food unless the flag goes up tomorrow. White Rice is best since Brown rice will go bad on you faster. If you don't have a mill grinder don't buy bulk grains. You have to have some way of working with it. I have grain mills but am now buying more in way of stuff ready to prepare. White rice, flour, biscuit mixes, pancake mixes. You need whole grains in your storage don't get me wrong. A lot of places will sell you a years supply of food and it is nothing but grains. If you can find a Mormon (Latter day saint) food pantry they are willing to help you pack your own food. they expect you to participate. It is a very good experience. Some of you may be Mormon in faith. if you are not you will find them to be your neighbors. They are good people.

Best wishes to you. GB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.