Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to put this in General Discussion instead of the gun forums so everyone could see it.

I just tried to navigate to Cheaperthandirt.com and was redirected to a funny URL. I closed the browser window, because I was suspicious. Sure enough, a little window popped up saying "Security Shield successfully installed."

I'm not an idiot, so I left the pop up window alone (NEVER close one or select CANCEL or OK...don't touch it) and ran Windows Defender. It caught the malware and cleaned my machine.

Any tech guys out there heard of this one?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled it and apparently "Security Shield" is an oldie. Trojan I think. McAfee community forums had some stuff about it from 2010.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,815 Posts
So far so good here, but I do get a Netflix pop up every now and then.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far so good here, but I do get a Netflix pop up every now and then.
Did you visit recently (as in the last hour)? I don't know if the site was spoofed or if it was hacked outright.

I googled "cheaperthandirt" and slected the "Rifle" catgeory straight from google. It was the first listing for cheaperthandirt, so I'm assuming that I didn't flub up and click on a spoofed site.

Either way, it sucked.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Glad the Trojan didn't eat your hard drive.... Lost one to that bug back in 2009, so it is one that I don't treat casually.

·
One day at a time ...
1,854 Posts
Since you got there via a link from Google, you probably did _not_ go to the real site & got suckered. Always double check a link before clicking on it.

By double checking, I mean look at what is displayed in the status bar when you hover over a link before clicking on it. This isn't a guarantee against a spoofed link, but it's more reliable than what is displayed on the page - that can be whatever the HTML is written to display.

Just because a link is in Google search results doesn't mean it's a clean link. Many times it's a good chance it isn't - Google is no more perfect than any one else.

Since you're using Windows Defender, you might want to consider upgrading to a product with better detection and a smaller memory footprint. You want to look at a capable antivirus toolkit (many are free) and an anti malware tool. PM if you need recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone.

We have not been hacked or compromised.

Sounds like you have been served a digital ad from a "retarget campaign".

There are companies that place cookies when you visit there sites and track where you visit. Then they serve you a digital advertisement that they determine should appeal to you.

The ads and campaigns are paid by the advertisers, and could not be from any site you visited.

Cheaper Than Dirt! has not been hacked, and take our security extremely seriously.

CTD, Inc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts