Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new cheaper than dirt catologue and they have two gas masks for sale an OM10 gas mask set for $10.00 and an israeli gas mask for $15.00.

are either any good, i have no knowlege of gas masks, or really any NBC items.

Thanks
T

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Stay away from the M10. they are collectables only. Masks are from East Germany and date back to the 1980s and before. They were a copy of our mask with the cheek filters and you don't want to mess with them. If you buy Isreali masks be sure they are new and sized to your face. They come with numbers on the forehead area like 1 small up to 3 or 4. If you wear glasses it can be a real touchy deal. The Isreali Military mask is a better deal all the way around. Isreali masks are all made in Germany by Draeger.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
from what i have heard the isreali masks are the way to go but have no personal experience. I am going to check them out myself, i am going over to their store in Ft Worth to pick up some Ammo and a Tapco stock for my SKS this weekend.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
There are also Finnish gas masks on the market,currently.I bought three,all like new,but use 60mm threads on the filters.Mainemilitarysurplus has thread adapters to go to more common 40mm.The mask themselves are quite nice,fit and seal well.I would trust it before I'd trust old combloc stuff.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
I believe those masks have a shelf life, and at 20 years old, they may be deteriorating. I'd check to make sure the rubber is in good condition, seals well, and is treated before relying on it. Make sure the canisters are BRAND SPANKIN' NEW as well!

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The israli masks have current production filters available, are infinitely adjustable for all but small children and quitefrankly are deigned from the most practical experience in the world...

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I love cheaper than dirt...especially the store in Fort Worth.
I was going to order one of those masks, but then I remembered I have THIS:

...it came with the adapter and filter cartridges when it's not being used with an SCBA...
this:

and this:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love cheaper than dirt...especially the store in Fort Worth.
I was going to order one of those masks, but then I remembered I have THIS:

...it came with the adapter and filter cartridges when it's not being used with an SCBA...
this:

and this:
I'm jealous! I am trying to get a few of these masks as the FD that my brother works at upgraded and no longer use their old ones... Will have to find the adapter and filter somewhere else though...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im with the FD and been wondering about that myself. Mine didnt come with any filters or adapter however, I should try to see if I can locate some.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Im with the FD and been wondering about that myself. Mine didnt come with any filters or adapter however, I should try to see if I can locate some.
I bought mine when I ws in the fire academy...my issued piece was severely crazed and was a bear to see through when it fogged up...I bought it on ebay, and it actually came with the goodies, they are sealed up (filter) and my instructor, who was a real pain-in-the-(but a bad-)-A55, really digged what I got...and as per his idea I kept the filter and adapter in my bunker gear in case I run into a structure fire SHTF scenario and am out of air...a last chance kinda deal until I get out or a RIC team can get to me. It's been relocated to my uh-oh bag since I am currently testing and not hired on with a department right now. I will try to find the seller that I bought it from...it was nov. 2006, but he may still be selling the kits...

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
well, it seems he's no longer selling anything on ebay...but I found a scan of the money order. I paid $123.00 for the whole setup, including next day shipping....not too shabby.
AV2000
adapter
canister filters
The Scott Air website has them listed, and also a list of distributors, I am sure you can contact them. (Or MSA or whoever your SCBA mfgr is)

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
The OM10 masks are ok. Make sure the filters are new and you test the mask to make sure it gets a good seal. I don't like cheek filters much but I happen to have two of the OM10 masks. I would not trust them to nuclear or much chemical over chlorine. They are good as a riot gas mask where most of the particles are tear gas, pepper spray or smoke.

Think of it as a full face painters mask.

If you are looking at adding nerve agents and radiated particles to your list of badies I would highly suggest the Isreali mask. They are current production and havnt been in storage for more than five years. Again make sure the filters are new. 40mm NATO canistors do last a lot longer than cheek filters.

OM10 mask good for general chemicals and Isreali good for NBC.

-Cade

·
Registered
372 Posts
well, it seems he's no longer selling anything on ebay...but I found a scan of the money order. I paid $123.00 for the whole setup, including next day shipping....not too shabby.
AV2000
adapter
canister filters
The Scott Air website has them listed, and also a list of distributors, I am sure you can contact them. (Or MSA or whoever your SCBA mfgr is)
Thanks for the info Firehiker, I am gonna look into this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts