Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order the majority of my ammunition online due to a lack of stores with decent ammo selection within driving distance. The shipping is expensive but as long as I order a large enough quantity, the cost of shipping is spread out over each round and I can live with the overall price in exchange for the convenience and selection. I also do not reload or plan to anytime soon.

I have used Cheaper Than Dirt as well as about a half dozen other popular online ammo stores for many years and have never had a problem with any of them. I realize some people have various problems with CTD for various reasons, but I have always had a good experience using them. I like that their site indicates if a product is in stock and delivery is always very fast.

A co-worker advised me this week that he had placed an order for several different brands and calibers of ammo through CTD. When he received the shipment, only one box of ammo was in the package. He was notified by CTD that none of the other items ordered were not in stock at the time of shipping, so they had credited him the shipping charges for the other items. The missing items were also not backordered, basically he was just going to receive the one box of ammo. When he placed the order, all of the items were described on the website as being in-stock.

The problem is that shipping for a single box of ammo is usually about $14, and then only between $0.50 and $1.00 for each additional box. Even though CTD credited him the small shipping amount for the missing items, he ended up paying $14 in shipping for a $20 box of ammo.

He contacted their customer service who explained that shipping is controlled by a different division than sales. The shipping dept simply ships whatever items are in stock without notifying sales first, who then could contact the customer and ask them if they want to amend their order.

Customer service basically confirmed that once an order is placed, they ship the in-stock items regardless of whether the website indicates the items as being in-stock. Once they ship the order, the missing items are not backordered or shipped later in a separate package.

He said customer service was polite but essentially would not guarantee that any in-stock items are actually in stock and the customer will be charged for the initial (95%) shipping charge even if only one item ships.

I only order larger quantities of ammo to spread the shipping cost around and am certainly not interested in paying $34 for a $20 box of ammo so I will lean more towards the other companies in the future. Has anyone had any similar problems with any of the other online ammo stores?

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Most people have learned by now to not buy from CTD, for many reasons such as you have listed and the extreme price gouging during the Obamascare of 2007-08. I won't even consider shopping at CTD.

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
I'm an extremely satisfied customer of SGAmmo, if I order, I order bulk, not "by the box," if I wanted to buy "by the box" I'd go to Wally World.......

BTW, I buy all my 12g and .22 locally, as it's cost prohibitive to order in those calibers and I can usually find them on sale at Bi-Mart for similar prices to those online, just without the shipping costs..............

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've personally used PSA, AIM, Natchez, Midway, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap and even CTD for ammo and have never had a problem with any of them. Never mind all of the companies I've ordered non-ammo type products from.

I use whoever has as many of the specific items I'm looking for in-stock to consolidate shipping costs, but after hearing this I'll probably avoid CTD.

.22LR and 12GA are the exceptions I buy locally. I often buy ammo online 'by the box' when I want to determine if a specific brand or type will function in a specific firearm. However I don't order just one box, I'll order one box each of several brands and that's usually on top of a bulk order of ammo I know is reliable. I just don't want to order multiple boxes, have only one show up, and pay a relatively ridiculous amount of shipping.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
CTD is just a crappy place to shop lately. I have one right next to where I live and I only go there to look around. Sometimes buy ammo.

But the stores are just crap and rare;y have what I'm looking for.

Seems people have to go to the internet to get what you want. And in the end get either screwed and never see the product.

WTF is wrong with our world?

·
Gettin There
1,578 Posts
There are times I order from them, but more often than not I don't. If you have to order things from different warehouses take out a loan.

The items I was going to order all came from different warehouses so it would be an extra 40-50 dollars just to ship three items. One was a spam can of Tula .45ACP 230gr FMJ 450 rds. The other was a Pro Mag M14 scope mount, and one 50 rd box of Fiocchi .22WMR to try it out. It cost the same to ship each item, and on top of the 12 or 13 dollars shipping for each item there is another 3 or 4 dollar handling fee.

I said screw that noise, although I will buy the scope mount from them at some time since they are the only place I know of off hand that has this certain Pro Mag mount that is like the old split rail A.R.M.S #18 mount.

·
Registered
145 Posts
CTD is just a crappy place to shop lately. I have one right next to where I live and I only go there to look around. Sometimes buy ammo.

But the stores are just crap and rare;y have what I'm looking for.

Seems people have to go to the internet to get what you want. And in the end get either screwed and never see the product.

WTF is wrong with our world?

No one has any loyalty and stores get greedy.

We will go online and buy if we can save 50 cents and the other is that if locals do not have much competition they will gouge you.

I have a local gun shop that seems to keep there ammo prices equal to walmart so I buy from him. I am willing to pay a little more to keep the small guy in business just can't pay all his bills by myself.

Glassman66

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I buy from CDT all the time. The trick is to check the various warehouses and make sure you only order from one warehouse. This cuts down on your shipping costs, but it also limits what you can buy. Still its the best way I've discovered in working with them. I also have never had a partial order delivered because one item was out of stock. Don't know if I've just been lucky or what...

Oh and the CDT physical stores, are owned by a different company than the online store. This is why you will see pricing differences, and stock differences.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
CDT is the lowest form of internet vendor scum, there are much better choices for almost anything, there prices are rarely the "cheapest" despite their catchy name.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,815 Posts
I found ammo at a place called Orschlen Farm and Home about a dollar cheaper than what is at my local Walmart.

I got a 50 ct box of Remington 22lr for 4.79, my local Walmart has it for 5. 89.

I'm getting about 4 boxes every couple of weeks.

I don't know if you have an Orschlen's in your area but I know where i'm getting my ammo from now on.

·
Deo Vindici
71 Posts
I have ordered from CTD in the past and had no issues and shipping was fast. That said this last go round I ordered bulk ammo through SGammo.com and saved about 20 bucks. They seemed to beat all of CTD prices on bulk ammo and they claim to be a mom and pop shop so customer service shouldn't be a problem. I will definitely check prices with them compared to CTD when buying next time.

·
Dirty Mind
2,766 Posts
I prefer Natchez. I have never had an issue with CTD, but did have an issue with the rape job they did on people when Obama was elected. For example, 75 round drums for AKs were going for $250. They're going for $88 now. That's BS!!!

In these times, I will go with who has it in stock and for the best price.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
I prefer Natchez. I have never had an issue with CTD, but did have an issue with the rape job they did on people when Obama was elected. For example, 75 round drums for AKs were going for $250. They're going for $88 now. That's BS!!!

In these times, I will go with who has it in stock and for the best price.
Don't forget about 7.62x39, was about $899.00 for 1K rounds, and .223 was over 1K.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Forget cheaper than dirt their shipping fees suck, get on the buyers club at sportsmansguide. They also have free shipping every now and then and i usually get a 10.00 coupon in my packages for the next order.

·
Finish the game
1,861 Posts
I use CTD all the time and have never had an issue like you mentioned above, I was recently shorted on an item they said they shipped, but it wasn't in my package. Sent an email to CS and they shipped it out the next day (no hassles).

I guess I'm just lucky, but I order 1000 rds. plus at least once a month, pricing is reasonable, service is good (at least for me) and almost always get what I asked for (the one issue I stated prevents a perfect record).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts