Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:

Today I just went through the 4th can opener from walmart in a year. I'm not even using them a lot, they just get weak at the plastic handle and either break or strip.

I purposly went and bought the most expensive POS they offered. Now I'm going to look for either a solid steel opener from another store, or start using an old school can opener off a swiss army knife.

I just want to chunk this dang thing at the store and ask why they don't offer stuff that's made in America or just up the price to $20 for a decent quality one.

If you think you're ready for TEOTWAWKI and you got a can opener from China-Mart, then you should get out and buy a new one, or get good at using a knife to cut a can lid.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I inherited a Kenmore can opener from the 50s when my grandfather died. Solid steel and heavy. Still works. I'm keeping it stored away for when the Wally Werld cheapie (Hamilton Beach) quits, which it's about to do.

·
The Hammer & Anvil
3,559 Posts

Today I just went through the 4th can opener from walmart in a year. I'm not even using them a lot, they just get weak at the plastic handle and either break or strip.

I purposly went and bought the most expensive POS they offered. Now I'm going to look for either a solid steel opener from another store, or start using an old school can opener off a swiss army knife.

I just want to chunk this dang thing at the store and ask why they don't offer stuff that's made in America or just up the price to $20 for a decent quality one.

If you think you're ready for TEOTWAWKI and you got a can opener from China-Mart, then you should get out and buy a new one, or get good at using a knife to cut a can lid.
You reap what you sow along with everyone else that does nothing more than complain.

Welcome to the end of the line. Now you want something quality and American, check out amazon.com and start looking, or better yet support someone local.

supply and demand, no one shops at walmart because its cheap, guess what they change or get put under by someone who will fill the market need.

To bad a lot (maybe not you in particular) of people just jaw jack, just like with politics, and everything else.

:thumb:

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
learn a lesson yet?
I learned that the Chinese must have cans made of the same crap these can openers are made of, else they would be making better can openers.

Could that be the missing link to all of this? Problem solved.
China made can openers are made to open China made Cans.

Anyone know where I can get some made in the USA Can opener to open cans made in Amerca?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I had a similar problem the last year or two. I had bought can openers at Wal-mart and other stores and they never really worked good or that long. My husband got a good one, it cuts the can so there is no rough edge, it is cutting from the side rather than the top. I dont even know what kind it is, says oxo on the top and is black. Good luck.

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
I had the same problem. I was trying to open a #10 can and the wallmart thing just would not do the job. I ended up using a knife to cut the can open. Does anyone know where to get a good quality can opener?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I learned that the Chinese must have cans made of the same crap these can openers are made of, else they would be making better can openers.

Could that be the missing link to all of this? Problem solved.
China made can openers are made to open China made Cans.

Anyone know where I can get some made in the USA Can opener to open cans made in Amerca?
You have the china deal all wrong. They have all ways used cheaper material , and child labor to create a cheap part. Their ideal is also to give you cheap and have you replace that cheap part very often, keeping money coming in. They dont give a carp about you , or can openers or cans.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You have the china deal all wrong. They have all ways used cheaper material , and child labor to create a cheap part. Their ideal is also to give you cheap and have you replace that cheap part very often, keeping money coming in. They dont give a carp about you , or can openers or cans.
I agree, Yet the kind of prices I've been seeing lately of made in china crap you would think could be made in the US and sold, Made to last like that light bulb still burning at the smithsonium Bengermin franklyn made

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've pretty much quit shopping there. Sure you can get crap stuff other stores but the majority of stuff I got from walmart was crap. I've gotten clothes given to me, brand new, first wash fall apart.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Top left is stripped, and so cheap, nobody was proud enough to put a name or country of origin on it. One on upper right, is a Good Cook, no country on it either...but it works. The other is an old Swing Away. You can get them for around 10 or less. Good opener, solid, twice as heavy as the cheapies....and well made....in America. Plus you can take it apart if needed for cleaning. Not nearly as vintage as mom's! lol

·
Indefatigable
21,114 Posts

Pick up a P-38 or P-50 at the local surplus store a couple of bucks each, its the only canopener you will ever need and it will last a life time, fits in your watch pocket on your jeans.

Reactions: pocomoonskyeyes
1 - 20 of 49 Posts