Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Being Prepared
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to the little known Cash and Carry window at the Cheney Brothers food distribution warehouse in West Palm Beach, FL off 45th street/I95.

Anything in their massive inventory is available at wholesale prices. I picked up 12 slightly dented size 10 cans of corn, peas, black beans, pudding, mashed potatoes etc for $3 a can, plus 100 pounds of lentils and dried kidney beans for $83.

I've had good luck storing dried beans and rice by packing them with dry ice in new 5 gallon buckets. 3 years so far no problems.

They even sell food grade buckets.

Whats not to like?

Bubba

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, that's fantastic! Wish I could find something like that here on the west coast of Florida - especially for the lentils!

Great find - congrats and good work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't been able to find lentils for under $1/lb. here on the central west coast. Sams isn't carrying any beans at all! :confused:

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Today I went to the little known Cash and Carry window at the Cheney Brothers food distribution warehouse in West Palm Beach, FL off 45th street/I95.

Anything in their massive inventory is available at wholesale prices. I picked up 12 slightly dented size 10 cans of corn, peas, black beans, pudding, mashed potatoes etc for $3 a can, plus 100 pounds of lentils and dried kidney beans for $83.

I've had good luck storing dried beans and rice by packing them with dry ice in new 5 gallon buckets. 3 years so far no problems.

They even sell food grade buckets.

Whats not to like?

Bubba
Hmmm...I can get size 10 cans of veggies here 3 for a $1.00, I switched over to scheldue 40 to store rice and beans

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't understand the dry ice.

Do you seal it in the pail, it kills the critters, then evaporates without getting things wet? Do you put o2 absorbers in there as well?

Btw, have family in southern fla. If I were there, I'd be planting fruit trees right now. They grow stuff year round. Fruit is one weakness in my own preps. Not a very long shelf-life. Be nice to grow yourself.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I believe the dry ice forces out all of the O2, therefore the food will keep for years without O2 absorbers. Is this correct?

Tbull:cool:

·
Just a Squirrel
229 Posts
We are in S FL. We lost mango, macadamia, papaya and star fruit trees in Wilma and are rebuilding. Didn't like the papaya anyway -- too buggy, blech.

Last year we planted mango, avocado, and started pot peppers, and several herbs, and built trellises. This January we are putting in two types of grapes, blueberries, strawberries, peach, and a citrus -- probably a blood orange. Starting raised beds for winter veggies this weekend.
Trying to squeeze in some bees and three hens -- all on an 80 x 173 foot lot! Hopefully our hens will be quiet (it tain't quite legal) and our bees will be approved by the state.

Problems: we have to use the front yard -- I can see posting sentry spots on our teeny property and protecting our front yard crops -- even w/o SHTF situation, ha!

For here, those are good prices, by the way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
99 cents a pound for lentils at Walmart. Never seen them in more than 1 pound bags in New Orleans. . . Red beans, that's another story . . .

Jackie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts