1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I ponder some of my "reorganization"
I also think about knives.

Like my guns I have.... Too many.

I have a few in the K bar TDY/Southnarc clinchpick theme, and they are EXCELLENT for what they are (non permissive environment, or a "get off me" tool.)

They also aren't exactly cheap, some are downright expensive.

Now I have a number of decent quality disposable folders, that I could carry and drop into a nearby bush or trash can, but wouldn't it be nice to come across a decent "steel splinter" (yes, for $10 or so it would be imported) with a 2-4" blade that I could buy or make a good sheath for and have half a dozen....

SO if I needed to drop one here or there I could just put a replacement knife in the same sheath.

Anyone come across something like that?

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
This is the absolute best knife to fill your bill. Made in Sweden, Moras are known for being very sharp, easy to sharpen, and virtually indestructible. They are quality inexpensive knives, yes, there is such a thing.

If you are not stuck on stainless (I opted stainless if you were thinking of stashing them outside), then another great option would be the Old Hickory Boning, Paring or 7" butcher knives.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Depending on where you live you can get mora knock offs that can be a bit cheaper because they don't have the brand. Bahco is my flavour of choice and a good knife and I have read wahoo is another good option but I have not used them.

Wshoo killer sorry. About $2?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have both moras and Wahoo killers.

Was thinking smaller and thinner.
How about an Esee Izula clone? If you buy several, they can come in at under $7. each, US $3.79 24% OFF|CS COLD Ant IZULA fixed blade knife straight knifes Hunt Survive pocket knives+ ABS sheath Hike Edc tools|Knives| - AliExpress

Or something with a handle: US $4.35 29% OFF|CS COLD Fixed blade knife Outdoor pocket knife High strength field wild survival saber Camping hunting tactical wood handle|Knives| - AliExpress

Or get a set of Farberware steak knives at Walmart. They have several styles for under $10/set of 4. Hack off an inch or so off the end and grind a new edge.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
If you have the Moras, then the Wahoo killers or the Walmart "bait knives" are about half the price, they USED to be $2 each, the Wahoo killers are now $4 at BudK. BudK changed their pricing and shipping. It used to be you could order a handfull of Wahoo Killers and get them shipped free. I've probably got a couple dozen like that. I think the Walmart Bait knives are still around $2.50 + tax. The best part of these knives is that if you made a sheath to fit a Mora, these would also fit. Keep in mind that these knock offs are not as sharp or do not have a scandi grind like the Moras.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Walmart Ozark Trail bait knife

Bud K wahoo killer

Since you said smaller and thinner, KBar makes several skeletonized neck knives for under $10 each

And a schrade

Even cheaper Master USA at under $5

·
Registered
11,673 Posts

·
Let the Debate begin
6,354 Posts
My favorite cheap lightweight knife is the Cold Steel bird and game knife.
Made in Japan with Aus 8 steel. You can go cheaper with the Cold steel
bird and trout knife. Marbles makes one also that I have not tried. I just like
having a ring on the end you can use for a good grip or to hang on a nail.
It sits in your pocket like its not there. Its lighter and takes up less room than
the Moras.

·
Registered
34,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty much one of everything below $10 that didn't require modifications.
I can get my money back out of most of them I don't like in a gun show junk box.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I remember hunting with a friend during deer season. I was squirrel hunting, he was deer hunting. I shot a forked horn and when he came over I was skinning it with a carpet knife. When the blade got dull, I just reversed it. Skinned and gutted the deer with it. No problems. He was so impressed that he bought a Wyoming knife. I bought a pack of refill blade at Harbor Freight for a few dollars. A cheap functional knife. They were a dollar or two a few years ago. You stash them lots of places and not much loss if you forget where you stashed it.

·
Bug-In Prepper
852 Posts
My wife's the knife collector in the family. Sometimes when she buys a new knife, they toss in a cheap one to sweeten the deal, and she gives those to me. As a result I have more small, decent folders than I need.

Sometimes what you really want is a cheapy, and the best deal I've seen so far is TSA confiscation sets. I feel a little bad benefiting at the expense of others, but it is an option. TSA confiscates all manner of pocket knives and multitools at airport security gates, and sells them in boxes of a dozen or so random items on eBay.

The two boxes I got came to about $1 per item (a little more .. I think I paid $14 for one and similar for the other, at a dozen items per box). Quality is all over the place, mostly bad, but it's hard to beat the price.

Just go to eBay and search on "tsa confiscated" .. looks like there are a bunch of boxes up for bid right now, ranging from half a dozen to over a hundred items per box: tsa confiscated | eBay

Anyway if you just want something minimally functional you don't mind losing, stashing and/or giving away, that seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Any knife makes good trade goods in hard times. Ditto for small sharpening stones and leather hones. The little fixed blade Moras are excellent (I carry one of the old carbon steel ones) and can be made most excellently sharp... I have used one to shave with in a pinch. Just use plenty of lather...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts