Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though I'd let everyone know that you can often buy silica gel cheap near the cat litter of the big box stores. It's sold as an odour reducer for cat litter. I just bought a 2 lb. bag for $8. Says "Dust free, non-toxic" on the bag, and has the blue indidcator crystals in it. I'm gonna use small double-lock freezer bags and poke a bunch of holes in them with a pin and toss them into my 5 gal buckets. This way I can take the crystals out of the bag and bake them on a cookie sheet when they need it.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
2 lbs for $8 ???? .... Wally World sells Fresh Step brand cat litter for $13 for a 10lb bag .... only commonly sold cat litter that is 100% silica gel ...

more expensive silca gel is sold in craft stores (Hobby Lobby) for drying flowers ....

·
Premium Member
68,762 Posts
There are two kinds of silica gel. The hard kind that absorbs humidity but not liquid water. And the kind that absorbs liquid water and turns jelly like. This doesn't absorb humidity. If it did, it would be saturated by the time you finished it and would weigh a ton when you bought it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.