Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have to agree with MattB4. I have had everything from the Bushnell pistol scopes to Leupold 24X external adjustment scopes for the short scopes and then I have Unertl Target Scopes and Lyman SuperTargetSpot scopes.

In the last few years I have settled on Scout Rifle Configurations and while I have a Burris Scout Scope and an Leupold Scout Scope I also have about five NC Star handgun scopes mounted on center fire rifles. Some are fixed power and some are 2-7X.

I also have a 600 yard range behind the house and have come to the conclusion it just depends on the size of your target and what you need to see.
Some scopes have heavy cross hairs and shooting at 3" steel disks at 300 can be trying because the cross hairs tend to cover the target.

The logic here is handgun scopes need to be built heavier internally to take the rather violent recoil forces from handguns and they will take more abuse than a rifle scope.

I mount my scopes about 10" forward of receiver on the barrel usings a Weaver 92A base and the barrel turned to .800" diameter.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That your life depends on a terribly expensive scope. I can not think of any scenario where that is true. Makes for good hyperbole though.
Have you ever attempted to shoot something in the evening to the west with the Sun low in the horizon? You can't see anything through your scope. Now when your hunting game that may not be of critical importance. However when your hunting people it is because they will be able to see you through their scopes.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,785 Posts
Have you ever attempted to shoot something in the evening to the west with the Sun low in the horizon? You can't see anything through your scope. Now when your hunting game that may not be of critical importance. However when your hunting people it is because they will be able to see you through their scopes.
I do not hunt people. Their hides have no worth and the meat taste terrible. If they are hunting me they are wasting good lead. My old stringy carcase has no trophy value. :cool:

Part of hunting means allowing for conditions. There are many times that taking a shot is ill advised.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I do not hunt people. Their hides have no worth and the meat taste terrible. If they are hunting me they are wasting good lead. My old stringy carcase has no trophy value. :cool:

Part of hunting means allowing for conditions. There are many times that taking a shot is ill advised.
Did you get lost on your way to FUDhunting.com ?

This site is generally oriented towards prep/survival where mil rifles area thought to be, at least potentially, have potential military application. Where many have realized it's not pre-1990 where the force multiplier benefits of military optics where not available/appreciated.

·
Living Simple
992 Posts
I argue it from experience. Buying a race car does not make me a Indianapolis 500 driver. Nor does having a expensive scope guarantee that the Airplane baggage smashers Union employee will not bust it when throwing it down on the tarmac and driving over it with the luggage cart.

It might appeal to your desire to have everything "perfect" for your hunt. But it does not guarantee it.
And you wouldn't show up to race the Indianapolis 500 in a Chevette either. I started out shooting by using BSA and cheap scopes myself. Maybe I'm just not lucky but after 2 or 3 years they'd start having a yellow tint, not track when making adjustments and wouldn't hold zero worth a hoot.

I cringed when I bought my first "expensive" scope, a Vortex Viper PST for 800ish. That's expensive for me and it has proven to be MUCH more robust and reliable than my cheap crap I bought for years. So in theory more expensive should get you a tougher scope, however sometimes **** happens.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,785 Posts
Did you get lost on your way to FUDhunting.com ?

This site is generally oriented towards prep/survival where mil rifles area thought to be, at least potentially, have potential military application. Where many have realized it's not pre-1990 where the force multiplier benefits of military optics where not available/appreciated.
You have something against hunters? Or maybe you are just a wabbit lover. :cool:

61 - 67 of 67 Posts