Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you ladies have any really good cheap recipies that will feed you for a few days? Raman, Mac and cheese, and hamburger helper do not count. I am looking for ideas that are creative and unique. When my husband gets home I am going to buy a bunch of potatoes and make a lot of casseroles. I know you can do anything with a casserole and they last forever. Plus you can freeze what you dont feel like eating within 3 days.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can get a 1 lb. roll of frozen ground turkey for $1.19 at Save-a-Lot. You can use it in place of beef for casseroles or fry it into burgers.

Chicken casserole is easy: 2 cups of cooked chicken, diced or shredded, a can of cream of chicken soup, and a box of stuffing. It's cheaper if you make your own stuffing and soup.

Mash up your leftover pinto beans, and make bean and cheese burritos. If you make your own tortillas, it's probably cheaper, but I don't have a tortilla press so I just buy those. These can be frozen in ziplock bags and packed for lunch the next day or week.

Quiche and biscuits can stretch if you have cheap eggs.

Split pea soup isn't that unique, but it's filling and will cover several meals when you're on a tight budget.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Shepherd's Pie is my family's all-time favorite. Problem is...they like it so much that no matter how big the casserole is, the moment it's pulled from the oven it's practically inhaled before I can get it into bowls.

In a NORMAL family (LOL) one could easily let a completed shepherd's pie cool down and portion it out into squares for freezing. If you have room in your freezer, you could even put the entire pan in there as long as it is freezer/oven safe.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I was going to add this to the Yorkshire recipe thread I made.

POTATO AND ONION SOUP

This is a cheap and really filling soup for cold winter days, serves 4.

1 lb potatoes
2 onions
2 carrots
About 1/4 pint of milk
Salt and pepper
Grated cheese

Peel the potatoes and cut into smallish pieces.

Slice the onions and carrots.

Put all the vegetables into a saucepan and barely cover them with
water.

Add a pinch of salt.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

Pour off some of the water and add enough milk to make a thick lumpy soup.

Add pepper and grated cheese according to taste.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Whole chickens are usually a good buy, and go a long way. Clean and boil it whole, allow to cool and pick meat from carcass. Skim fat from your broth - soup!

Nutritious this way too, as you use the bones and all in the stock.
Add some potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and canned or frozen whatever you may have, a few sprigs of herbs or poultry seasoning (sage, thyme, rosemary all delish)

Chicken and rice soup, chicken and dumpings, chicken noodle or vegetable, etc.

I make three large (to serve five) meals: a large pot of soup, some tacos or an enchilada casserole, and use some of the stock for a rice dish, with one bird.

Family favorite enchilada casserole: Shredded chicken (sprinkle with taco seasoning if desired), can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a can of green chile sauce, corn tortillas (pre-fried quickly 'till soft) cheddar or jack. Layered lasagne style.
I warm the green chile sauce, can of mush soup and a brick of cream cheese with an extra soup can of milk and a can of diced green chiles in a saucepot, but you could skip the cream cheese and use water or milk to get the sauce to the right consistency. Top with salsa and sour cream.. or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts