Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a very cheap easy2build 6X10 greenhouse yesterday, less than $300. My brother and I put it up but I realized today that I don't have vents for airflow.

I am in a high wind area, thus the straw bales around the outside. I had hoped to do a straw bale garden but realized that the chickens eat anything green they can find. I am in the Colorado high plains and we get everything here....hail, high wind, strong sun, snow, etc. etc. I have a steady wind at least 10 mph everyday so decided to place the straw bales around the outsides to help keep the structure stable. I also braced the structure down with rebar around the outsides and the extra plastic on the bottoms, I kept anchored down with the bales.

Now the dilemma, how do I safety add venting to this without losing the structural integrity? I have the plastic vents but they are cheap plastic and I don't believe they will stand up to the wind.

Some thoughts... can I make a hole in the top and also in the bottom of the door with waterproof tape, cut out a section that can be rolled up on the outside on good days? I worry about how to anchor that same section down other days though.

I know that this is a cheap greenhouse but it's a start and figure if i can make this work, I can try something larger and more expansive next year.

Attachments

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Good for you and your daughter!!!:thumb: I'm sure someone will have a better idea, but how about layering duct tape across the top and botton for about 12x12in.? Do about 5 layers top and bottom. Cut out a circle top and bottom, then maybe make a duct tape panel to cover the top hole secured by, what else, duct tape! Cheap,easy. Like I said someone will probably a better idea...:)

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm contemplating doing something similar but with some sort of poly tape or waterproof tape. I'm just concerned about the outer shell being torn or not having the ability to close the flap in bad weather.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
not sure but cant u just prop the door open,,,maybe see if any stores around u have aluminun?sp ? vent for in the eves of houses that are triangle shaped an use self tapping screws to put thep into the roof peak??that actualy might strengthen the sides of the greenhouse

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
A triangle of plexiglass in the peak on either end with a hinged door. Like a dog door. You can buy it at home depot and cut it with a hack saw blade if ya dont have a bandsaw or jigsaw. Id put a screen on it too.

I got a pretty good idea where yer at and Id be concerned about wind. Ya might want to add ropes in the corners and stake it down like a tent. Big hail is a concern too. If ya know its comin blankets might save it.

Looks great. Good for you.

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The greenhouse is poly sheeting so am concerned about the weight of anything being placed on the sheeting. How would I put the plexiglass in the plastic? Unless I'm misunderstanding the suggestions.

Propping the door open will not work well as the wind is too strong and might snap the door or bend it. Self-taping screws probably won't hold on the poly film. Not sure how to anchor them without ripping the plastic.

I'm not as concerned about hail as I am the wind. We do get hail here but it is not as common as it is just to the east of me. The main problem here is elevation (UV exposure) as I am over 7000 feet and wind. The biggest reason I am looking at a greenhouse during the summer months is because of these issues.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
The greenhouse is poly sheeting so am concerned about the weight of anything being placed on the sheeting. How would I put the plexiglass in the plastic? Unless I'm misunderstanding the suggestions.
Cut the plexi triangle to fit the frame in the peak. Cut a vent into the plexi. Secure it to the frame. Cant see the frame well enough to suggest fasteners but you could drill holes around the edges of the plexi and use zipties. Good epoxy glues are very strong. You can also epoxy the plexi to the frame and the edges of the poly sheeting to the plexi. Thin plexi is lightweight. Dont need to be bulletproof.

Sorry maam Im better at doin than explainin. I realize what makes sense to me may seem confusing to you.

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cut the plexi triangle to fit the frame in the peak. Cut a vent into the plexi. Secure it to the frame. Cant see the frame well enough to suggest fasteners but you could drill holes around the edges of the plexi and use zipties. Good epoxy glues are very strong. You can also epoxy the plexi to the frame and the edges of the poly sheeting to the plexi. Thin plexi is lightweight. Dont need to be bulletproof.

Sorry maam Im better at doin than explainin. I realize what makes sense to me may seem confusing to you.
I do think I understand what you are suggesting. The actually might work. Then I'd secure the plastic to the plexiglass with waterproof tape.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Maybe a PVC pipe about 4" could be placed as a vent/support in one corner? There could be some small holes drilled in the pipe to allow the building to vent. Just a thought!

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
I think what RedTail is suggesting is the most workable. I was thinking about suggesting velcro tape to help secure a flap of plastic, but the plexiglass is far more sturdy and a simpler method of achieving what you want to do. Good luck with it and your garden!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts