Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The problems with the really cheap gennies is that they need to have their oil changed all the time, sometimes every "hour of service", according to the manual.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not want to put much money for a generator. It is really just for short term to save the food in the freezer...and keep some cold beer while i shoot the zombies and stare to the naked chest of the voluptuous blond running away from them ...lol

Seriously, any suggestion?

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Check the data plate / specs. on your freezer. If it's more than 8.3 amps and 1000 watts, then no go on that generator. If I were you I would get something better.

·
traveler
188 Posts
look on the freezer to see how many amps it draws.
110(v) x ?(Amps) = Required Watts
that will tell you the minimum size gen

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
...and remember that generators are measured in half-load run-times. 4-hour run time is actually more like 2 with a decent load.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
Your freezer will have a sheet on the back telling you how much power it uses. Use that to size your generator accordingly. Remember, that it will take about 3 times the average running power to get it started. So if it takes 1,000 watts, figure on at least a 3,000 watt generator or one rated to handle a 3,000 watt surge.

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
Keep the freezer closed and just run the gen intermittently.

This generator was not designed to run continuously.

elgin

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
During our 3 week ice storm, the cheap generators only lasted a short time. Many ruined the appliances. Our experience with china engines hasn't been good. Save up and buy a quality unit that will meet your needs.

·
human
4,430 Posts
Without knowing the specs on your fridge I'd guess that that genny won't have the capacity. 1kw isn't very much. and a 1.2kw surge rating isn't much.

What most companies fail to publish is "how long" of a surge it can supply.

A fridge's compressor can require two to three time's it's rated power.
A cheap fridge (cheap motor, cheap compressor) can draw more than that.

Some generators, under a "surge load" can drop it's output voltage by more than 15%, and this decrease in operating voltage can increase the time needed for the compressor to come up to operating speed (a longer surge time). You can see that this could become a vicious circle.

That's a cheap price, and you'll get what you pay for.
The big question is which will fail first, the gas engine or the alternator.
Or the compressor in your fridge.

That generator might be okay to run a couple of lights.
I'd not risk running any electronics off of it, the regulation (both voltage and frequency) is bound to be poor.
I'd check out your local Craigs list, I see generators there often.

·
Rabid Toad Killer
2,484 Posts
If you really want cheap generators, look at pawn shops for a good used one. A lot of times you'll find one pretty cheap that is better than you could buy new. For even better deals wait till after winter is over.................

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but with hurricane season approaching, I thought it would be good to revisit.

A great place to buy a cheap generator is a pawn shop. If you're handy with small engines you can easily tell the condition of one and whether or not it's with the price and the use it's already had.

I bought a Generac 7500 EXL from a pawn shop a couple years ago for $250!! And this was a few days before a storm was forecasted to hit the area when I thought there'd be a run on generators.

The only catch was that it had a dead battery and for some reason the electric starter wad missing. No biggie, it has a pull start and starts on the first or second pull.

My favorite thing about the generator is that it has a NEMA 14-50 plug on it for a 50 amp hookup. All the other similar generators only have a 30 amp twist lock plug.

I had an electrician run a 50 amp input receptacle and an interlock kit. It'll run the entire panel for the inside of the house including the hot water heater.

The only thing is that my house has a primary outside panel with the main that also has breakers for the AC, furnace, and stove. But since my interlock feeds the indoor panel, I can't run those 3 things.

Not to get too off topic, the pawn shop is a great place to buy air tools, corded power tools, and small engine equipment.

I also bought a push mower for $40, which I promptly converted to run on propane. More on that in another thread.

Overall im happy with the generator, except it's LOUD. I'll take some advice from the thread about quieting down generators.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Generator

My son just bought one of the 10,000 watt surge, 8000 run generators from Northern, and hooked up a 5 HP compressor to it. It immmediately fried the compressor motor. Apparently compressors and generators are not mutually compatible??? He said he went on the net and found info indicatiting that. I would think 10,000 watts would run a small home at least. Hope so, I have a 6500 surge, 6000 watt run comprssor, we plan on using the two of them for emergencies if SHTF, as long as the pushmoline holds out. Plan to save stuff in our freezers. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts