Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a cheap set? my prety expensive Motorola FRS set only lasted about 5yrs with minimal use, a few times a year. Only features I really care about is them being waterproof.

No cell service where I hunt and there can be valleys where even weather radio dosnt work.

·
Bugged out already
4,583 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
My inlaws have a farm but without cell comms so we have a couple sets of these with charging stations in thier kitchen, the polebarn, our RV and in a couple of the others. We all clip them to our belts and its a huge partyline. We used to call my FIL out when we found unauthorised tresspasing or theft on his land. We got most of them on Amazon, the Ladies did. Short range, a mile or more. If you get a compatible base station, they can be much further away and it can pick them up and listen in. We "lost" the kids once there so we found and bought one! The Ladies did.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My inlaws have a farm but without cell comms so we have a couple sets of these with charging stations in thier kitchen, the polebarn, our RV and in a couple of the others. We all clip them to our belts and its a huge partyline. We used to call my FIL out when we found unauthorised tresspasing or theft on his land. We got most of them on Amazon, the Ladies did. Short range, a mile or more. If you get a compatible base station, they can be much further away and it can pick them up and listen in. We "lost" the kids once there so we found and bought one! The Ladies did.

I did see those. How ever $70 for two is a Bit out of my price range. I'm going need 4 radios and keep it under $100

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
The FCC dropped the license fee for GMRS to $35. No test required, covers the whole family. While FRS radios are OK, they are limited to a half watt and 2 watts. GMRS hand held can now push five watts and mobile units can go to 50 watts. I know that you just need basic radios but you can find decent used GMRS radios on ebay or Craigslist for the same or less than what you might pay for FRS. If you will be depending on decent comms, I would suggest going GMRS. Even with the license, you won't be spending that much more.

·
ICBM Warrior
765 Posts
The FCC dropped the license fee for GMRS to $35. No test required, covers the whole family. While FRS radios are OK, they are limited to a half watt and 2 watts. GMRS hand held can now push five watts and mobile units can go to 50 watts. I know that you just need basic radios but you can find decent used GMRS radios on ebay or Craigslist for the same or less than what you might pay for FRS. If you will be depending on decent comms, I would suggest going GMRS. Even with the license, you won't be spending that much more.

It's true they lowered the fee to $35.00

The Schedule of Application Fees of the Commission's Rules was published in the Federal Register March 19, 2021. According to the notice, the fees officially take effect once it is sent to Congress and the FCC's systems have been updated. The FCC will then publish a notice of the actual effective date.

The issue is as of last week they were still charging the $70.00.

Efficiency at it's best! :(

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,693 Posts
^^^^ What he said. Should get a license though. No test required. $70.00. Whole family (up to 6 people) can use it to communicate.
Didn't they change the law for GMRS radio so as not to require a license or make it free?

Due to the proliferation of radios that include these frequencies, I thought they sort of gave up and said it was OK.

I won't buy another radio that does not have a lithium battery. Tired of the crappy batteries that die after a couple years.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The key word is family..I dont hunt with family. That's the only part of the year I use them.

16,746 Posts
Have you considered an 11 meter HT instead?

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frs radios promise A lot but deliver little.
Baofeng 888 radios are extremely cheap but there are license and programming hassles. I have not used them myself, I just see them and they're really cheap but seem sturdy.
Are they waterproof? More watts in the hills and trees dosnt seam to matter.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Yes, they are but not for swimming! Our space is about 10 ac in a creekbed erosion valley, fields above on the flat non-eroded ground. FRS reaches about a mil ed each way up and down the creek but not even 100 yards to each side up on the fields. Just saying. We hav ef s dozen and 3 charger plates, each with four charging slots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts