Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
add:

Grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit grown in your own garden, meat raised by you chickens, rabbits, fish from aquaphonics, meat you hunted, spices you have grown, salt, cheese and butter made and preserved yourself.
rice to the beans and you have a very low cost protein. It stores well, cooks easily and is the basic food for many cultures.

Laus Deo
overbore

·
Fertilizer Producer
3,103 Posts
White rice (not instant rice), beans, store-canned vegetables (NON-ACIDIC), sugar, salt, and of course water. As overbore said, the rice and the beans together produce a complete protein, making up for the lack of meat. You can buy canned meats as supplements though.

Past that you get into the realm of doing your own growing and canning, which requires garden space and sufficient time to maintain it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Cheap and common would be rice and beans. Easy to put away ourself, veggies. If there is a great sale on frozen veggies, we dehydrate then to store.
We have one canned meats as well, we just have to keep rotate hem.

·
Go Forward With Courage.
3,056 Posts
I store what we eat. Fruits, Veggies, Meats, milk, juices then I added spuds, pasta, grains, flours and deserts. I want normalcy. So I hit butter, cheeses, Ghee, coconut oil, gravy and soup mixes.. everything I could want.

Dehydrated, Freeze Dried, Wet Canned and home canned. If I eat it today, I want it tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
any prepared food (canned, boxed, frozen, etc.) you can buy now is going to be cheaper than in the near future. the price of food keeps increasing. it's only a matter of time before those with gardens will be the least impacted.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi, New-Prepper. Welcome to the site.

I have a suggestion that I rarely see anyone mention: I buy 1 LB propane bottles whenever I go to the store. I have a big stack of them in the garage. I know they are not food items, but they are essential to preparing food. They are good trade stock and they keep forever.

More along the lines of what you were asking for: how about some free food? We ask around when it is apple season and we are often able to pick apples for free, because someone who doesn't have time to deal with them probably doesn't want to attract all of those bees with windfall apples. To sweeten the deal, we offer the tree's owner part of the haul. We make huge amounts of applesauce, which we home can. We also make fruit leather and dried apple chips.

Speaking of dried fruit: whenever you have a piece of fruit that is starting to go bad, such as a banana that is starting to change colors, if you are not going to eat it, slice it up and toss it in the freezer. When you have enough sliced fruit for a load, run them in your dehydrator. We often buy a hand of bananas and find that we lose one or two every time. So this prevents then from getting thrown away. Free food! This works for pretty much any fruit or vegetable that can withstand being frozen and then dehydrated. I hate waste and food spoilage.

Anything else goes to the chickens, which reduces the amount of chicken feed we have to buy. Spoiled food and cuttings go to the worm compost bin. The excess worms are used to feed the chickens, too. So remember to think on a larger scale than just food - you can have a whole miniature ecosystem if you try. We are going to try aquaponics - fish farming combined with hydroponics - later this year.

·
Heading for my BOL
279 Posts
3590 Pasta
3490 Rice
4040 Toasts
3280 Chickpeas
3120 Lentils
2880 Beans
850 Canned tomato
2000 Biscuits
3360 Nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc.)
4740 Honey bar
4000 Sugar
9000 Olive oil
0 Coffee
0 Salt
0 Water

Here is a list that I had made for emergencies. Fruits and vegetables are not there cause I grow them on my garden. For meat we have chickens, rabbits and hunting is a possibility too.
The numbers in front of the foods listed are their calorific value per kilogram.
Biscuits, nuts, honey bar, sugar and coffee are there not only for calories but also as comfort food.
All items in this list were choosen on their nutritional and calorific value and also their weight to calories ratio and their long storage time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts