Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Golfer
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored a 12" 5 quart Ozark Trails Dutch Oven at Walmart for $17. Took some 60 grit sandpaper to it and then seasoned it and must say it is looking pretty good. I think I'll give it one more trip of seasoning and then give it a try.

I have lots of wheat and flour and charcoal stored up so my first cooking try will be bread, per this guy's recipe, https://youtu.be/SaJuMAi4_RU I think it would be great to have a loaf of bread every day when nothing else is working. Better than gruel probably but I'll let you know.

Cowboy bread, 425 deg in 40 min
mix 1-1/2 cups warm water, 2-3/4 teaspn yeast, 1 teaspn each salt, sugar
After 5 min, mix with 3 cups flour. Set aside at room temp or greater.
After 4 hours, lightly knead dough, set aside for 30 more min.
Fire up 31 coals in a charcoal starter.
Add spoon of lard to dutch oven, put 10 coals on bottom and 21 on top
After preheat smoke appears, toss dough into oven. Replace top.
After 40 min remove bread, lightly butter, wait till its cool.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...LL4F44Si7B49QqFABzjs_R2rYabR8mB0aAuK3EALw_wcB

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Our llama group used to have a dutch over camp out every February. I had bean pot and bought a dutch oven at Harbor Freight. I cook rather simple but some of the people could cook. One person made killer bread. I made a lot of chili beans. I made a dish which was layered in the dutch oven, chicken layer, pork layer, sweet potato layer sometimes more meat, some brown sugar and pineapple. Pineapple is not a good idea in cast iron, I learned the hard way. Kind of like tomato sauce in dutch ovens. I'm somewhere around 5 dutch ovens, 3 with legs, two without. I used the ones without legs alot before we got the glass top stove

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been eyeing a no-knead recipe where you place the dough on parchment paper then put it in the pre-heated dutch oven. Bake so long in kitchen oven then remove lid and bake a bit to brown the top. It intrigues me as I dislike cleanup.
I bake bread this way probably a half dozen times a month. I mix up a batch of dough (about three free form loaves worth) and send it through the first rising, then, split it up into three portions, freeze what I don't want at that time and prep the portion I want to bake. I like baking Rye the most, and it comes out perfect and better then any deli!

I add this stuff that's sold by King Arthur called Deli Rye Flavor, and it goes a long way, that stuff is powerful. When I got it in the mail I opened up the pouch to give a sniff, holy hell, it was like smelling salts.

·
I have control issues
5,991 Posts
I love all my cast iron. I am not looking forward to day when I'm too old to handle the weight. Mom gave hers when she turned 85. I have a griddle from a friends granny that was on the Oregon trail in wagon.
I use my cast iron all the time, as well. One of my skillets is one that had been my Grandmother's. Mom used it in the camper for years, then gave it to me when she couldn't handle the weight any more.

·
Golfer
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question: I do have an enamel-lined dutch oven with lid. Can it be used to cook over an open fire?
I believe it can. You can set it up on bricks to fit the coals underneath and flip the lid over to set the coals on top.
As for the enameling I think it is good to high enough temperatures it will not crack. After all, it sits for hours on burning natural gas.

·
Golfer
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bread worked out great! After 40 minutes it was 207 degrees in the center. Used butter for the pan, loaf was easily lifted out with a spatula. Next time I'll add in some whole grains.

Somebody do the math, how many bags of charcoal and pounds of flour do you need to produuce a loaf a day for three months?
I put the video on google drive, hope it works.

Attachments

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,706 Posts
Question: I do have an enamel-lined dutch oven with lid. Can it be used to cook over an open fire?
I would take more care of it.

Have you priced ceramic coated iron lately? A big dutch oven can go for big money these days.

But you can buy a standard iron dutch oven for about half that.

Take care of the ceramic coated iron.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Say when
823 Posts
The best Dutch oven recipe IMHO is simplely pour a big can of cherry pie-filling on the bottom then a box of white cake mix sprinkled on top. Cook then serve with vanilla ice cream. Makes me want to get some hot coals going......
Do you have to drizzle the cake mix with melted butter? Or will the cherry mix give it enough moisture ??:thumb:

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
4,934 Posts
Dutch Oven, cast iron :: There are THREE types : home, camping, and porcelain coated.
A true camping oven has feet and the flat lid has a lip to contain hot coals for baking, and a wire bail handle to lift it off the campfire.
A home oven has smooth bottom, no bail handle, and no lip on the lid.
Also, good lids have drip points for condensation to fall back on the food.
Porcelain coated are useful for cooking acidic foods (tomato sauce), but don’t have the durability of plain cast iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

·
Registered
566 Posts
Do you have to drizzle the cake mix with melted butter? Or will the cherry mix give it enough moisture ??:thumb:
when I do cobbler I just drop a few pats of butter on top of fruit filling sometimes on top of cake mix,I have better luck with a little extra moisture in thicker pie fillings, little 7up works very well for added moisture.
Cans of peaches and stuff like that has plenty of moisture,when cobbler almost done I like a sprinkling of brown sugar and on top gives it a nice crunch:thumb:
Just experiment its fun and easy.
Sometimes I'll toss fresh berries in,or mix couple small cans of differant of fruit.
If cake mix not cooking because not enough moisture a few squirts of water on top will do the trick,I just squirt with my water bottle I use for flareups when grilling because its handy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would take more care of it.

Have you priced ceramic coated iron lately? A big dutch oven can go for big money these days.

But you can buy a standard iron dutch oven for about half that.

Take care of the ceramic coated iron.
I agree. Most likely, I won't do that to my enamel-lined dutch oven.

Its just that regular cast iron is preseasoned in soybean oil. I am allergic to soy!
I kno there are ways that I can season my own pans, but the soy would still be on it.
I should find out if Lodge can make me an unseasoned one or something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts